Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:01 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times

Advertisements

'most racist city in America'

I read that and knew it wasn't true and was amazed that someone took the time to type a lengthy post.

I think it's time for CD to start charging by the keystroke. The 'thrifty' users should get a huge discount.

Off to the Admin forum to suggest this.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:02 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
has this happened to you in the south, personally? have you spent any time in the south or is this just hearsay?

I've lived in the South a few decades and never have seen this happen.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:04 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,689 times
Quote:
has this happened to you in the south, personally? have you spent any time in the south or is this just hearsay?
No, but I've heard several cases where that happened. I'm not saying it happens everywhere in the south. I'm just saying you're more likely to experience that kind of racism down there as southerners tend to be more upfront and honest about their feelings than northerners.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:06 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,932 times
from the poster "NewYorkGuy"
and fyi, I've got no problem with New York as a guy born in The Hub.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:08 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
No, but I've heard several cases where that happened. I'm not saying it happens everywhere in the south. I'm just saying you're more likely to experience that kind of racism down there as southerners tend to be more upfront and honest about their feelings than northerners.
Well, your willingness to stereotype the south without a shred of personal experience or understanding, does not lend you much credibility when you talk about Boston.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I was one of the few kids who loved Boston Baked beans candy.

Boston Baked Beans - Candy you ate as a kid®

Oh, woah sorry. Racism thread. Gotcha.

I didn't know black people called up to rent apartments and usually state, "Hi, I want to rent an apartment and I am Black." I gotta start trying that. "Hi, I wanna rent and apartment and I am White."
No, it just doesn't sound like anything a sane person would do. Nevermind.
I didn't make phone calls. The communication was done via e-mails. I made sure to identify my race as I've heard so many cases of people refusing to rent to black people when they meet them. I didn't want to go through this embarrassment so I revealed my race to see if they were comfortable with that or not before I go any further with them.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:10 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Ok.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Well, your willingness to stereotype the south without a shred of personal experience or understanding, does not lend you much credibility when you talk about Boston.
I've actually experienced this thing first hand in Boston. I only mentioned the south in comparison. The fact that I don't have personal experiences in the south doesn't at all discredit my experiences in Boston unless you are trying to tell me that as a black person my opinion doesn't count either way.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:16 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
I don't know how to quantify what city is the most racist, but there are reasons to believe that racism is prevalent in Boston.

For instance, there was never any "curse of the Bambino". The best explanation for the long World Series drought is the fact that Boston was the last major league team to sign any black players.

In addition, Boston, and South Boston in particular, was a hotbed of racist opposition to school segregation in the 1970's, and I suspect some of that continues to exist.

From my limited exposure (less than you would think for someone who only lives a few hours away) Boston is a small city with pretensions to big city values and advanages. Among other things it seems to be dominated by its white ethinc groups, including WASP's, Irish, and Italians. This insularity may make it harder for outsiders who aren't members to break in.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:17 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
The fact that I don't have personal experiences in the south doesn't at all discredit my experiences in Boston
I'm capable of judging that for myself, thanks. You're a random message board poster, to whom I do not give the benefit of the doubt.

You say that racism exists in Boston, but it's subtle, and you haven't conveyed very well that the problem is race, rather than your personality.

You say that racism exists in the south, and that it is very obvious, but yet you haven't actually experienced it.

There is a mysterious lack of information, though, about your experiences in New York, and whether there was any "racism" there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies