Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:20 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
From my limited exposure (less than you would think for someone who only lives a few hours away) Boston is a small city with pretensions to big city values and advanages. Among other things it seems to be dominated by its white ethinc groups, including WASP's, Irish, and Italians. This insularity may make it harder for outsiders who aren't members to break in.
You hit the nail on the head.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:23 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
Racism. I live in the ATL the consensus has long been that Atlanta is #1 for Racism.

While trying to escape the 'news' last night I landed on the local PBS affiliate and yes, indeed once again a segment featuring civil rights/racism in The South was in progress.

How could Boston possibly compare to the Bible Belt? Georgia is a Red State and you know what that means. Massachusetts is Blue. No contest.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I'm capable of judging that for myself, thanks. You're a random message board poster, to whom I do not give the benefit of the doubt.
The fact of the matter is I experienced racism in Boston and it was very humiliating. Whether you believe this or not has no significance. The fact that racism is prevalent in Boston is no secret. Maybe this doesn't fit your view of what you thought about the city. I was shocked too to discover this myself.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Racism. I live in the ATL the consensus has long been that Atlanta is #1 for Racism.

While trying to escape the 'news' last night I landed on the local PBS affiliate and yes, indeed once again a segment featuring civil rights/racism in The South was in progress.

How could Boston possibly compare to the Bible Belt? Georgia is a Red State and you know what that means. Massachusetts is Blue. No contest.
The racism in Atlanta as well as the red states maybe overt but there is a lot of under-the-cover subtle racism in the blue states, moreso in Boston and the New England area than anywhere else.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:33 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,922,446 times
bill russell said boston was the most racist city he ever played in, and he is the celtics greatest player, aint that a *****.

boston also has that renowned image of the white guy with an american flag about to spear a black guy, whites brutally attacking blacks during the bussing riots of 1974.

about not renting to you because your black. honestly have a hard time believing you are going to put your race out there like that until you meet with them.

its also illegal to discriminate regards to housing. if you qualify you should get in.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
about not renting to you because your black. honestly have a hard time believing you are going to put your race out there like that until you meet with them.

its also illegal to discriminate regards to housing. if you qualify you should get in.
I answered to a similar comment before. The reason why I identified my race was to avoid any awkward or embarrassing moments with the renter if we do get to meet. I made sure to be upfront with them to see their comfort level. The fact that none of them responded shows that they were not willing to rent to a black person. If I had decided to meet them, they sure would have ditched me when they see that I am black. I am glad that I avoided such embarrassing situations. You may not understand but as a minority, these are things that go through your head.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:44 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
The racism in Atlanta as well as the red states maybe overt but there is a lot of under-the-cover subtle racism in the blue states, moreso in Boston and the New England area than anywhere else.
I know, I profoundly know. I was being somewhat facetious--venting a bit with my strange dry humor.

Racism and classism have been thoroughly discussed in the Atlanta forum.

I may be 'out of my mind' but I think things have improved here--efforts were made, I can vouch for that, having been around for a good portion of the last half century.

Wherever racism occurs it is wrong./gavel

Old 06-07-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I answered to a similar comment before. The reason why I identified my race was to avoid any awkward or embarrassing moments with the renter if we do get to meet. I made sure to be upfront with them to see their comfort level. The fact that none of them responded shows that they were not willing to rent to a black person. If I had decided to meet them, they sure would have ditched me when they see that I am black. I am glad that I avoided such embarrassing situations. You may not understand but as a minority, these are things that go through your head.
thats how you nail them though for discrimination.

where do you live now? somebody must have accepted you.

just watched a myfox boston video on discrimination in boston.

in an email about showing interest in a rental with a white sounding name, matt o brien, black(tyrone jackson), hispanic(jorge rodriguez):

62 percent of whites got a reply
58 hispanics
51 black

Old 06-07-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
and i am a minority, biracialhalf black, half white)

Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
thats how you nail them though for discrimination.

where do you live now? somebody must have accepted you.

just watched a myfox boston video on discrimination in boston.

in an email about showing interest in a rental with a white sounding name, matt o brien, black(tyrone jackson), hispanic(jorge rodriguez):

62 percent of whites got a reply
58 hispanics
51 black
I did get one response after identifying my race. It was from an African American woman. The area she was renting was not very nice and the commute to my job was not very convenient.

I have decided not to rent at all and I have between commuting between New York and Boston to work. I have a flexible schedule as I mostly work on the weekends which allows me to commute. I hate Boston. I try to spend as little time there as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies