Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

Boston does not specifically discrimanate against Blacks, Chinese or any other particular racial group. It tends to discriminate against everyone that is Not Irish or Not Italian. Now if you spoke to these people with abit 'o Irish brogue they would probably rent to you no matter what your race. Wearing a Celtics patch with a Red Sox cap helps a lot.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:14 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I was one of the few kids who loved Boston Baked beans candy.

Boston Baked Beans - Candy you ate as a kid®

Oh, woah sorry. Racism thread. Gotcha.

I didn't know black people called up to rent apartments and usually state, "Hi, I want to rent an apartment and I am Black." I gotta start trying that. "Hi, I wanna rent and apartment and I am White."
No, it just doesn't sound like anything a sane person would do. Nevermind.
Quote:
"Hi, I want to rent an apartment and I am Black
Mr. Ford stole my thunder. The OP seems like a classic case of a chip on the shoulder race baiter.

OP: Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

Racism exists everywhere and not all racists are white.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:18 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Boston does not specifically discrimanate against Blacks, Chinese or any other particular racial group. It tends to discriminate against everyone that is Not Irish or Not Italian. Now if you spoke to these people with abit 'o Irish brogue they would probably rent to you no matter what your race. Wearing a Celtics patch with a Red Sox cap helps a lot.
It is a very subtle type of racism. It's hard to notice it if you are not a member of the minority group that is being discriminated against. I also think most of it is geared towards blacks more than any other minority group.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I have been discriminated against in Quebec because I look German.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:22 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
It is a very subtle type of racism. It's hard to notice it if you are not a member of the minority group that is being discriminated against. I also think most of it is geared towards blacks more than any other minority group.

Which explains why we elected a black governor (twice).

Old 06-07-2011, 09:24 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I don't know how to quantify what city is the most racist, but there are reasons to believe that racism is prevalent in Boston.

For instance, there was never any "curse of the Bambino". The best explanation for the long World Series drought is the fact that Boston was the last major league team to sign any black players.

In addition, Boston, and South Boston in particular, was a hotbed of racist opposition to school segregation in the 1970's, and I suspect some of that continues to exist.

From my limited exposure (less than you would think for someone who only lives a few hours away) Boston is a small city with pretensions to big city values and advanages. Among other things it seems to be dominated by its white ethinc groups, including WASP's, Irish, and Italians. This insularity may make it harder for outsiders who aren't members to break in.

How many black players on the New England Patriots??

Old 06-07-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Mr. Ford stole my thunder. The OP seems like a classic case of a chip on the shoulder race baiter.

OP: Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

Racism exists everywhere and not all racists are white.
It is always easy to belittle and dismiss someone who say they are the victim of racism. You'll never know the harmful effects of racism on an individual's self-worth until you've been a victim yourself. Trust me on that.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Which explains why we elected a black governor (twice).
That doesn't change anything. America also has a black President and there is still widespread racism in many of the states that voted to elect him.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:32 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,246,132 times
Your story has a distinct and foul odor of BS. There are a number of inconsistencies.
Boston of course is a famously liberal city whose voters overwhelmingly supported Obama and Deval Patrick. There are people of many races living there who seem to be quite content - including Obama's aunt!
Your "story" is a tired rehash of racial grievances you read somewhere else added to a decades old repuatation that was based the school busing story that recevied national attention.
The truth is there were similar and even more violent racial clashes in the 60s and 70s and most of them were not in Boston. There were quite a few in NYC and many of them were instigated by blacks, not whites.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:33 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have been discriminated against in Quebec because I look German.
lol--I thought Hosers/Canucks were wildly liberal.

I am kidding--having participated in intense discussions of racism there isn't much more to say than, 'It is wrong'.

I know I am 'hated' for many reasons. I don't drive fast enough to suit many Atlanta drivers, for one reason. Too many bumper stickers to read supporting causes of all kinds, all worthwhile, I am certain. Lots of transplants from more liberal areas in Atlanta, an island of blue in the midst of red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies