Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:31 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Medicare was not cut under Obama's health care plane. Medicare Advantage was cut...but that was a bad deal for the patient and the tax payer. So good riddance.
The Medicare till was indeed raided for half a Trillion $$ to fund the start up administrative costs for Obamacare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
screw the voucher garbage

cut medicare for those under age 50 NOW

allow those over 50 to continue in the system for the next 30+ years untill that generation is gone

enough with the entitlement society

I thought liberals followed Darwins theory of evolution

..only the strongest survive
If the government gives a refund or tax credit for those dollars already paid in by those under age 50 I agree.

People under the age of 50 still have plenty of time to set their priorities in regard to saving and self-insuring for their later years.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:35 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If the government gives a refund or tax crdit for those dollars already paid in by those under age 50 I agree.
I feel the same way. As someone who is fast approaching 48, and has been paying into Medicare since she was 16, I guess I'm just S-O-L.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:38 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
The Medicare till was indeed raided for half a Trillion $$ to fund the start up administrative costs for Obamacare.
When did Medicare have any money to raid from it?

Old 06-07-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I feel the same way. As someone who is fast approaching 48, and has been paying into Medicare since she was 16, I guess I'm just S-O-L.
I'm in by 40's too and by the age of 25 (started first job at 12) I had figured out that I would never see a dime back that was going to FICA. I've been planning accordingly.

I know it isn't a popular opinion that families should be the primary caregivers for the elderly members in their families but this would indeed go a long way to saving money. Other cultures do not throw away their elderly and put them aside in nursing homes, why has it become so acceptable in the USA? Is it simply part of the planned destruction of the basic family unit to promote dependance upon government from cradle to grave?

Old 06-07-2011, 11:58 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
I'm in by 40's too and by the age of 25 (started first job at 12) I had figured out that I would never see a dime back that was going to FICA. I've been planning accordingly.

I know it isn't a popular opinion that families should be the primary caregivers for the elderly members in their families but this would indeed go a long way to saving money. Other cultures do not throw away their elderly and put them aside in nursing homes, why has it become so acceptable in the USA? Is it simply part of the planned destruction of the basic family unit to promote dependance upon government from cradle to grave?

I have a few friends that are U.S. citizens yet started out in Ghana or The Phillipines. When they retire, they are all going back "home" mainly because of their elderly care. They have large extended families that will take care of them when they are very old. It is a great support system.

Having said that, this type of lifestyle has become just about obsolete in the US. When you have most people working and no one able to stay home, there is no one to take care of the elders. Plus we are no longer a farming community where everyone worked/lived in the same place which was conducive to extended family living. We just don't have that culture anymore.

Heck, my parents *just* retired (ages 67 and 72). Both had to work all their lives. My mom had 5 siblings and both they and THEIR spouses worked. No one could take care of their parents and fortunately they never needed nursing home care.

It's just a tough situation all around.

I expect that my two children, and their spouses if they marry, will both have to work all of their lives. I don't know how I could ever expect them to physically and financially care for me.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:29 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,699 times
Whether Medicare is a government carrier or a private carrier voucher system is really a secondary concern. Coverage reform like this doesn't slow the growth in per-capita health costs. Either system is untenable in the long term for the beneficiary because of those cost increases.

Ryan's plan achieves Medicare solvency by capping the government's expense growth. It's a solution, but it's a solution that simply shifts the financial risk to the beneficiary.

People can debate whether that's the right way to go or not, but it certainly does nothing to actually reduce the nation's healthcare spend.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:30 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Better answer would be to expand medicare to cover everyone regardless of age. That is my plan. It would be cheaper per person than paying for private insurance.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:37 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
People can debate whether that's the right way to go or not, but it certainly does nothing to actually reduce the nation's healthcare spend.
your not going to lower the amount spent on health care

not unless you are going to mandate that every hospital worker, every nurse, every technitian, every doctor works for minimum wage

not unless you can lower the cost of that ray machine being imorted from denmark

not unless you can nationalize every utility company so that the average hospital isnt spending over 5 million dollars a year just on electrical costs

fact when you pay a doctor $100 for an office visit...its not $100 going directly into the doctors pocket..he still has to pay rent/lease/mortgage on his busines office property...he stil has to pay an electric bill...he still has to pay his suppliers for supplies and equipment..he still has to pay a nurse/receptionist/medical clerk...etc

nothing is going to lower costs...especially with the FED continuing to devalue the dollar

Old 06-07-2011, 12:44 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Better answer would be to expand medicare to cover everyone regardless of age. That is my plan. It would be cheaper per person than paying for private insurance.
cheaper not even close

medicare costs over 500 billion (yep a half a trillion) to cover (and not at 100%, more closely to a 75/25) about 40 million (yes they are the most costly demographic (the eldery))

medicare for all would cost 3-5 trillion a year..and not for a 100% coverage

it would be garbage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies