Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 03:21 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
But he's not using her name on the sign; how could it be libel?
If you can show in court it's a fallacious and defamatory statement specifically about her (which probably won't be that hard), then it's still libel.

Quote:
I agree that it is protected free speech, and I don't find it any worse (since there are no identifying details)
than the anti-God signs I see. That's free speech also, even if I don't agree with it.
Um, that's a very weird comparison. It's pretty downright nasty and hateful to publicly call out an ex as a murder because of an abortion/miscarriage by broadcasting it on a billboard. That's nothing like atheisst promoting their message that God doesn't exist, or Christians promoting their message that The One God does exist, or Hindus promoting their message that many Gods exist, etc. You comparison seems like apples to Cadillacs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 03:26 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
If you can show in court it's a fallacious and defamatory statement specifically about her (which probably won't be that hard), then it's still libel.

Um, that's a very weird comparison. It's pretty downright nasty and hateful to publicly call out an ex as a murder because of an abortion/miscarriage by broadcasting it on a billboard. That's nothing like atheisst promoting their message that God doesn't exist, or Christians promoting their message that The One God does exist, or Hindus promoting their message that many Gods exist, etc. You comparison seems like apples to Cadillacs.
No, it's offensive to me --It's nasty and hateful and petty.
But it's free speech. I have to just get over it.

Again, he didn't use her name. How is he calling her out on anything?
He stated something on a billboard; he didn't identify himself either.
For all anyone reading the sign might know, it's just calling attention to the fact that a man might care about the stopping of a beating heart.

Edited to add: I see that the man on the sign is in fact him. No matter.
Again (and again and again) anyone looking at a billboard assumes that the people depicted on it are models, actors, or similar.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:27 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,427 times
I don't see how they get off taking the sign down just because it makes people uncomfortable. Are we not allowed to make people uncomfortable? I hope we are.

If he is lying about the girl, that's one thing. If not, where does the court get the authority to order that the sign be taken down?

Old 06-07-2011, 03:34 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Good on him. She murdered their child. The world has a right to know.
Ahhhh, the modern day Scarlet letter.

HE doesn't name her, so he will probably be able to leave the billboard announcement in place.

She should just rent her own bilboard promoting the fact that abortion is legal and that women have a choice of which men she allows to father her children. They have to have character worthy of bearing a child. Apparently, this guy is a ******** and a sore loser.

This guy sounds like trash.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:36 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
No, it's offensive to me --It's nasty and hateful and petty.
Attempted proselytizing is offensive to you? Are you equally offended by all such messages, or just ones that present beliefs you don't share?

I'm an atheist. I shake my head and perhaps scoff whenever I see a Christian themed, proselytizing billboard (which in this country probably outnumber Atheist billboards 1000:1 - or much, much higher if you consider signs at churches), but I'm not offended by them.

Quote:
Again, he didn't use her name. How is he calling her out on anything?
He stated something on a billboard; he didn't identify himself either.
For all anyone reading the sign might know, it's just calling attention to the fact that a man might care about the stopping of a beating heart.
Well, according to the story he very much did identify himself. The billboard showed a picture of him, and the words spoke about his murdered, would be 2-month old baby. Unless he impregnated several women at or near the same time who then aborted/miscarried, it would be extremely easy to show in court he was specifically making a statement about his ex.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:40 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
If free speech was respected and used to protect the right that it was intended we wouldn't have to "get over" it. We literally made a mess with this.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:42 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Valid point. He didn't include any identifying information about the ex girlfriend. So hmmm....
It would seem as though her privacy was protected since her name was not placed on the billboard.

Apparently she (or her attorney) doesn't think that aborting a child causes the father of that child any mental anguish?

Interesting case.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:43 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
perhaps the ex girlfriend should put up a billboard about his small manhood or third nipple. the man is obviously a jerk to put up the billboard. a woman has the right to privacy. the public also assumes facts not in evidence, how does one really know if it is true or not?
Her right to privacy ends at the juncture of her interaction with others. The topic is a matter of both parties and she has no power or right to dictate the privacy of another in such grounds.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:46 PM

108 posts, read 158,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Unless he impregnated several women at or near the same time who then aborted/miscarried, it would be extremely easy to show in court he was specifically making a statement about his ex.

Maybe this is why he's the ex?

Old 06-07-2011, 03:47 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
perhaps the ex girlfriend should put up a billboard about his small manhood or third nipple. the man is obviously a jerk to put up the billboard. a woman has the right to privacy. the public also assumes facts not in evidence, how does one really know if it is true or not?
When this woman decided to share her body and its reproductive attributes with this man she no longer had exclusive rights to the product and consequences of that "sharing." The baby that she aborted was not created by immaculate conception and thus the other party to its creation had rights that apparently were completely ignored or probably never considered at all. I know some of you are protesting that it was "her body" and "her right" to do with it as she pleased but that just isn't so. The moment she involved another person in the life-creation process she gave up the exclusivity. Bottom line is that the daddy had an equal right to the decision as to what to do about the pregnancy and when he wasn't accorded that right, she lost her right to privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies