Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 02:15 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
"I'm not concerned about a double-dip recession, I'm concerned that the fact that the recovery we're on is not producing jobs as quickly as I wanted to happen. Prior to this month, we have seen three months of very robust job growth in the private sector. And, so we are very encouraged by that. This month, we still saw job growth in the private sector, but it slowed down," President Obama said at a press conference with German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

RealClearPolitics - Video - Obama: "I'm Not Concerned About A Double-Dip Recession"

Stupid statement, if we have a double-dip recession many jobs will be destroyed

Reminds me of Alfred E. Newman from MAD Magazine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 02:16 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
"I'm not concerned about a double-dip recession, I'm concerned that the fact that the recovery we're on is not producing jobs as quickly as I wanted to happen. Prior to this month, we have seen three months of very robust job growth in the private sector. And, so we are very encouraged by that. This month, we still saw job growth in the private sector, but it slowed down," President Obama said at a press conference with German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

RealClearPolitics - Video - Obama: "I'm Not Concerned About A Double-Dip Recession"

Stupid statement, if we have a double-dip recession many jobs will be destroyed
Same old crap. Presidents lie. Bush was saying that everything was roses, up until the very last moment when he couldn't lie about things any longer.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Same old crap. Presidents lie. Bush was saying that everything was roses, up until the very last moment when he couldn't lie about things any longer.
They have to lie. They all have to lie. It's part of the confidence game.

And if you don't like current events just look at history.
How long did the talking heads deny the Great Depression ?
Crash of 1929 and they didn't admit the US had a real problem until 1934.
They spent 5 years with the ups and downs proclaiming it was all temporary.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
They have to lie. They all have to lie. It's part of the confidence game.

And if you don't like current events just look at history.
How long did the talking heads deny the Great Depression ?
Crash of 1929 and they didn't admit the US had a real problem until 1931 and even then it was marginalized as "passing".

Old 06-07-2011, 02:26 PM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
At least Democrats had the balls to vote for it. Republicans voted against it, bashed it publicly, and then privately lobbied for the funds to go to their districts.
Try looking at it from a different angle.

The democrats were in complete, and utter control of the executive and legislative branches, they voted to steal hundreds of billions from the treasury, and divvy it up for ONLY democratic party districts. The republicans can all vote NO on this legislative theft of taxpayer money by the democrats, but they are completely powerless to stop them, and it will occur anyway.

So here is the quandary for republicans. since the bills were signed into law, and the theft was occurring - do they sit back, arms akimbo, and allow this theft to force their constituents to pay hundreds of billions to democrat districts, or do they try and at least hold onto some of their constituent's hard earned money.

Let me try going at this another way. Let's say the democrats are storming into the bank where my money is kept, and they strart stealing my cash and valuables from my safe deposit box. If the democrats ignore my shouted objections to stop stealing, how can you fault me for trying to grab some of my own cash and property, before those thieves take it all?

Old 06-07-2011, 02:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Try looking at it from a different angle.

The democrats were in complete, and utter control of the executive and legislative branches, they voted to steal hundreds of billions from the treasury, and divvy it up for ONLY democratic party districts. The republicans can all vote NO on this legislative theft of taxpayer money by the democrats, but they are completely powerless to stop them, and it will occur anyway.

So here is the quandary for republicans. since the bills were signed into law, and the theft was occurring - do they sit back, arms akimbo, and allow this theft to force their constituents to pay hundreds of billions to democrat districts, or do they try and at least hold onto some of their constituent's hard earned money.

Let me try going at this another way. Let's say the democrats are storming into the bank where my money is kept, and they strart stealing my cash and valuables from my safe deposit box. If the democrats ignore my shouted objections to stop stealing, how can you fault me for trying to grab some of my own cash and property, before those thieves take it all?
Outstanding post and precisely accurate!

Old 06-07-2011, 02:36 PM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
So which is it, is Bush a genius with economics and investments, and he knew this economic collapse was coming way before the rest of the world, or is he an idiot w/o a clue of what was going on?

BTW, did Clinton know there was a dot-com bubble and the companies like Enron were committing fraud? Did 0bama know his policies these past two years were going to fail, and gives us a "double dip" recession and mortgage collapse? Or is GW Bush the only smart one out of all three presidents?

Or maybe Bush Derangement Syndrome doesn't have any room for common sense and introspection?

Old 06-07-2011, 02:40 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,588 times
It's not a "Double dip" as in we've seen growth and then decline, we've been experiencing declines for over 3 years now and the decline is going to worsen.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:51 PM

No wonder he's not worried..he's not to blame for any current downturn.
It was the earthquake in Japan, the Euro crisis, heck high gas prices.
Anything BUT the administration policies and runaway spending habits.

Obama urges tough decisions on Greek debt crisis - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110607/bs_nm/us_eurozone_usa - broken link)
With U.S. unemployment at 9.1 percent, Obama has blamed outside forces for impeding the economy, including high fuel prices, the earthquake in Japan and the euro zone crisis.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:59 PM

589 posts, read 376,522 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies