Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 07:07 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,847 times

Advertisements

why would you be so against increased gun regulation???

Unlike some liberals I understand that we'll likely never live in a utopia where guns won't be necessary. Guns will always be around and preventing people from owning arms, while those in the government (military, law enforcement, etc) own them is a recipe for oppression.

That being said, why in the world is anyone opposed to stricter gun regulation?????

Do you not see that we have a problem in this country? Do you not think that it is too easy for criminals to acquire a weapon? Do you not see the problem that straw purchases are causing?

If you want to drive a car you have to take a written test. You then have to do 50 hrs of supervised training and then and only then are you able to take a test with a licensed tester. Same basic idea if you want a boating license, or pilot's license... or even if you want to bartend!

But if you want to own a gun, in many states all you need is to walk into a gun show, undergo a simple background check and then minutes later you're walking out with a gun.

Don't you see this as a problem?

Besides convicted criminals and the mentally challenged most gun control advocates aren't trying to prevent people from owning guns. We just want being able to acquire a device that could end someone's life to be a little be more involved... at least as involved as taking a driving test or getting a bartender's license.

Whenever there's some instance when an idiot with a gun does something foolish or leaves a gun lying around so some kid can do something tragic with it, gun control advocates use it to advance their arguments while people in the NRA crowd always use the defense that a true gun owner would never treat their weapon like that.

Why would you oppose legislation that would require all gun owners to have the knowledge and responsibility that you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 07:13 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
I think the argument is that gun control laws only keep the honest people honest.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:14 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I think the argument is that gun control laws only keep the honest people honest.
I have no idea why the Left thinks criminals will obey gun laws before they are about to commit a murder.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:16 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
That is like saying that immigration laws only keep honest people honest.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:16 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Quote:
I causes issues where the police harrass gun owners who carry in public by treating them as criminals.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:17 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Why is the left against prosecuting gun crimes and stricter sentencing as not to grant parole or early release for felons in possession of firearms? Why is their answer always to slap more laws onto law abiding citizens?

OP, we have literally a dozen or more threads on why not more gun regulations. Was it really necessary to start another instead of using the search function? Or, is this the Media Matters talking point of the week?

Quote:
Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Which part of "shall not be infringed" is unclear to the OP?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:18 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
why would you be so against increased gun regulation???
Spoiler

Unlike some liberals I understand that we'll likely never live in a utopia where guns won't be necessary. Guns will always be around and preventing people from owning arms, while those in the government (military, law enforcement, etc) own them is a recipe for oppression.

That being said, why in the world is anyone opposed to stricter gun regulation?????
Spoiler

Do you not see that we have a problem in this country? Do you not think that it is too easy for criminals to acquire a weapon? Do you not see the problem that straw purchases are causing?

If you want to drive a car you have to take a written test. You then have to do 50 hrs of supervised training and then and only then are you able to take a test with a licensed tester. Same basic idea if you want a boating license, or pilot's license... or even if you want to bartend!

But if you want to own a gun, in many states all you need is to walk into a gun show, undergo a simple background check and then minutes later you're walking out with a gun.

Don't you see this as a problem?

Besides convicted criminals and the mentally challenged most gun control advocates aren't trying to prevent people from owning guns. We just want being able to acquire a device that could end someone's life to be a little be more involved... at least as involved as taking a driving test or getting a bartender's license.

Whenever there's some instance when an idiot with a gun does something foolish or leaves a gun lying around so some kid can do something tragic with it, gun control advocates use it to advance their arguments while people in the NRA crowd always use the defense that a true gun owner would never treat their weapon like that.

Why would you oppose legislation that would require all gun owners to have the knowledge and responsibility that you do?
So your question just begs the clarification...

Just how regulated do you want guns? For what purpose?

The mere suggestion of regulation smacks of control.

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I have no idea why the Left thinks criminals will obey gun laws before they are about to commit a murder.

Exactly! I mean, it's not like criminals obey the laws. They're criminals for a reason, and the cops can't always be there, and in fact usually show up after the fact.

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
Whether I buy a gun at the local store and submit to my background check, or I go to the city and purchase an illegal one off the street, makes no difference in it's intended purpose.

The argument for driving, etc. can also be made that there is NO background check, class, permit, or education needed to bring a child into the world. I think there are far more problems with our kids than with our gun laws.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:19 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,982 times
Quote:
I'm convinced that we have to have federal legislation to build on. We're going to have to take one step at a time, and the first step is necessarily -- given the political realities -- going to be very modest. Of course, it's true that politicians will then go home and say, 'This is a great law. The problem is solved.' And it's also true that such statements will tend to defuse the gun-control issue for a time. So then we'll have to strengthen that law, and then again to strengthen that law, and maybe again and again. Right now, though, we'd be satisfied not with half a loaf but with a slice. Our ultimate goal -- total control of handguns in the United States -- is going to take time. My estimate is from seven to ten years. The problem is to slow down the increasing number of handguns sold in this country. The second problem is to get them all registered. And the final problem is to make the possession of *all* handguns and *all* handgun ammunition -- except for the military, policemen, licensed security guards, licensed sporting clubs, and licensed gun collectors -- totally illegal.

--- Pete Shields, Chairman, Handgun Control Inc.
Quote:
Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal.

---Janet Reno
Quote:
The NRA...was right all along in fearing the waiting period was a camel's nose under the tent. Brady has now passed and it is time to reveal the rest of the camel!

--- Handgun Control Inc., (HCI) President Richard Aborn (Dec. 8, 1993), Cleveland Plain Dealer.
Quote:
What good does it do to ban some guns. All guns should be banned

---Senator Howard Metzanbaum (D-OH)
Quote:
"Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of all Americans to feel safe."
--Sen. Dianne Feinstein, Associated Press, November 18, 1993
Quote:
"We're going to hammer guns on the anvil of relentless legislative strategy! We're going to beat guns into submission!"
--Sen. Charles Schumer, NBC Nightly News, November 30,1993
Quote:
"Mr. speaker, I still believe that the best way to control handguns is to ban them outright."
--Rep. Cardiss Collins
Quote:
"I know it's in the Constitution, but you know what, ENOUGH! I would like to say, and I know it will sound extreme, but that no one can have a gun in the U.S., if you have a gun, you go to jail. Only the police and military should have guns, it's ridculous!
--Rosie O'donnel
Quote:
"Our cause has been aided by the deaths of all these children in all these schools, and in other settings."
--Bill Clinton, April 12, 2000 as reported by the Rocky Mountain News.
Quote:
"The most effective means of fighting crime in the United States is to outlaw the possession of any type of firearm by the civilian populace."
-- Janet Reno, addressing a 1991 B'nai B'rith gathering in Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
"if a bill to ban all handguns were to come to the floor, I would vote for it"
--Rep Pete Stark
Quote:
The goal is an ultimate ban on all guns, but we also have to take a step at a time and go for limited access first.
--Joyner Sims, Florida State Health Dept., deputy commissioner
Chicago Tribune, November 7, 1993
It seems a number of your fellow gun control advocates have a differing idea from what you profess as your goals with regard to gun legislation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies