Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 11:25 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,210,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Your cons are actually my pros. Less right wing hate on the public airwaves and less guns are good things in my book.
Go back to the library, cause you got the wrong book

Old 06-08-2011, 11:32 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
They have a better standard of living for their population overall. They have less crime, less racism, less ignorance, less poverty, less political divide, less guns, less pollution... and on top of that they have an excellent public education system (Canada is one of the most educated societies in the world), a universal health care system that covers everyone both rich and poor, and a sound economy.

Canadian cities consistently rank as the cleanest and the most livable in the world with Toronto, Ontario; Calgary, Alberta; and Vancouver, British Columbia routinely taking the top spot. If I get the chance to move to Canada I'll do it in a heartbeat. It's a perfect place to live if you ask me. I'll leave America to the teabaggers. I won't wait until they turn us into a Third World Country.

Dream on. your comments are totally wrong in several areas.

You can join the rim jobs and leave any time.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:37 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I've also heard Canada is more conservative than presumed. But Vancouver B.C. and other big cities are probably "liberal" and cosmopolitan in a similar way to San Fransisco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Not anymore. You're thinking of 30 years ago in the days of Joe Clark.

Harper is politically somewhere in between Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich - does that sound like "being a U.S. Democrat" and "not coming anywhere close to American style right wing conservatism"?

Canada is more conservative than you think. Especially Alberta where there are even teabaggers, creationist museums, and fundies all over the place.

The current UK Tory party is more moderate than the Canadian Tories or the GOP, however.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:41 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
If the damn globe would just tilt its axis and Canada end up where America is the population would zoom to half a billion overnight. As it is now 95% of the land is useless because of the frigid weather. Montreal has the right idea with their underground city that helps people cope with winter, but failing that most people couldn't get used to the sub-zero temps. That's the ONLY reason why I don't relocate there.
May I suggest Australia (much warmer than Canada), another child of Great Britain that ended up number 4 on the list. Funny how the American Colonists, violent and extreme compared to their Canadian and Australian counterparts, ended up handing off to us, their progeny, a country with the lower std of living comparing the three. But you know, "freedom, freedom" is just so much more in abundance here.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:42 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Or all the simple minded walking around with "Canada is Great" t-shirts on.
That would be in European cities, not Canadian cities, and about 95 percent of those wearing said t-shirts would be American.

Last edited by majoun; 06-08-2011 at 12:58 PM..

Old 06-08-2011, 12:54 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Another quality troll thread from NewYorkGuy.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:59 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Cons:
1) No freedom of speech
2) No right to keep and bear arms

Pro:
1) More economic freedom with lower business taxes and fewer regulations on the employer
Pro's lower crime and therefore less of a need to keep and bear arms.

If you want a hunt then get a license and knock yourself out. Canada is a sportsman's paradise.

Because Canadians treat their fellow countrymen better than Americans they have less reason to fear their countrymen.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:03 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Funny you didn't mention that they have UHC for all citizens and the fact it lowers business costs. Something I'm sure you are vehemently opposed to. Gotta keep those health insurance monopolies rolling in the dough,heh.
The irony here is the same people who complain about American jobs going overseas are the same ones that want private health insurance which THE major component driving up the cost of American labor.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:19 PM

326 posts, read 871,995 times
Quote:
If Canada is so conservative, where is the outcry to switch to the American system of healthcare delivery?
What does the status quo U.S. healthcare system have to do with conservatism?
Quote:
So in other words you are trying to say Canada is successful because it is mostly white? Actually Canada has a diverse population with a scale of diversity somewhat similar to America's. Toronto is often said to be one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world and it is also one of the cleanest and most livable. So your theory that diversity is bad doesn't fly.
Canada actually encourages the immigration of highly skilled foreigners.
Quote:
The first school shooting in North America took place in Canada, and Canada has had more per capita school shootings than the US.

In other words, your child is more likely to get shot in a Canadian school than in a US school.
And what is the probability of that occurring? More or less than being struck by a meteorite?
Quote:
Also Canada's murder rate isn't comparatively better. The per capita homicide rate in Canada is 1.9 per 100,000, but there are 5 States with a homicide rate equal or lower than Canada and another 4 States within one standard deviation, so Canada is not all that safer.
There is something very interesting lurking behind the data here. Canada's population is about 34 million. If you add up the U.S. states in order of ascending murder rate, you reach a population of 36 million after number 14. Here they are:

ND
NH
NE
UT
ID
WY
HI
MN
OR
ME
MT
IA
MA
WI

Guess what? For these states, the murder rate is about 2.1 per 100,000. Not very different from Canada.

And look what happens when I highlights these states on a map (hint: if you put all of them together, it would look kind of like Canada).
Attached Thumbnails
Why is Canada so much better than America?-states.gif  

Old 06-08-2011, 01:44 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
That is the dream that is sold here, but the odds are my friend that you will not be one of the very wealthy. Actually, there is a 95% chance that you will not. Your odds go up exponentially if you inherit the millions or billions, or if you hedge fund manager, or moneychanger.
Odds? Already beaten the odds. Child of an immigrant parent who came with nothing...didn't touch the welfare system...and now me and pretty much all my relatives are millionaires just based on hard work and initiative.

Pretty sad when multigenerational white person with all sorts of connections, roots, and contacts can't do it.

The American dream is still here for the taking. You just have to get off your ass and do the work. But then you might miss the next episode of Dancing with the Stars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies