Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:27 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
These are the words I want to hear from the next President. The first candidate that says this has my vote.
Actually, let me rephrase this: The first candidate that says this AND MEANS IT has my vote.

BTW, I support Ron Paul last election also. Too bad Fox News destroyed him, which is why I don't trust Fox News either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 01:28 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Um, good cherry picking of data. The reason consumption went down between those dates is due to the massive collapse of the US economy, and doesn't really have anything to do with CAFE. In order to show CAFE standards, you'd have to analyze a larger time frame, since CAFE has not changed for quite a while until this year, I believe.

The quoted post does not show any correlation at all...
I'm waiting for your take on how CAFE has played a role with the oil situation.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:28 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Yes, the government shouldn't restrict our choices.

Like why can't a right turn signal mean a left turn for me?

And why do I have to put my lights on when driving at night?

And why do I have to have a toilet at all? Why can't I just go to the bathroom in the river behind my house?
Oh boy, what blatant hypocrisy here. Weren't you the one that was about to have a breakdown over the fact that you weren't allowed to just squat on some piece of property and do everything yourself and live without money because the government won't let you do that? Weren't you upset that government took that CHOICE away from you? Yeah, I think it was you.....

Old 06-08-2011, 01:35 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Rand Paul is promulgating toilet anarchy.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Yes, we need more government regulations like Carter's CAFE standards, <sarcasm> which helped us with the volatile oil situation we have now </sarcasm>. Hmmm, maybe not so much since it led to the development of the SUV.

And no, sound bites of Reagan killed CAFE doesn't count, because he didn't. Not only that, all the sound biters fail to mention that Clinton could have done something with CAFE, but didn't. No you don't hear this...
To those who didn't follow the <sarcasm> flags, here's a clarification.

CAFE standards did very little to reduce our dependance on foreign oil. In fact, because it's influence caused the rise of SUV vehicles, it actually was a determent to reducing oil consumption. We're in the exact same boat as we were in the 1970's.

In fact, what did the creation of the Dept. of Energy do to change our situation from what it was in the 70's to now? Not much.

In short, many times government regulation has either no or nasty side effects on our economy. Do we need regulations? Yes. How much? Depends upon what you want to regulate, who it affects, and what are the ramifications.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Rand Paul is promulgating toilet anarchy.
Quote:
Obama is promulgating toilet anarchy.
There, fixed that for you.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:58 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
In fact, what did the creation of the Dept. of Energy do to change our situation from what it was in the 70's to now? Not much.
That is like complaining... what did Clean Water Act do to protect against natural gas drilling? But, I'm still waiting to hear back from you on CAFE's impact on the oil situation.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:14 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
In case you haven't noticed, there is both a shortage of water and electricity. Thomas Friedman just wrote an excellent article today on this very matter. In California alone, for the first time in the stateā€™s history, the water supply and delivery system may not be able to meet their growing needs. The same thing with electricity. Everyone wants central are and a large screen TV. The growing demand for electricity is taxing the supply network. In addition, we have a national need to reduce consumption of fossil fuels.
haha.

the coming depression will fix all that, after all our industries are shut down and all our people are out of work. we will do what the government tells us then, dammit. ,

FYI- not everyone wants or needs a large screen TV, but at least, in america, it USED to be about choice.

the great thing about america was its FREEDOM, and it is sad that some are actively pushing us to lose it to the nanny/daddy/big government state.

too sad for america.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:44 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Thomas Crapper invented the toilet and did a great job now it's politicians time to re-invent the thing.
Think of these damn mercury light bulbs filling up land fill sites with the potential for the subsequent damage to the envronment.
We stocked up on incandesent bulbs when the writing was on the wall.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:59 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
for the same reason there are approved materials for use in buildings
You mean, like Chinese sheet rock used during the building boom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies