Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 07:28 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
No, not much and no need to enact any new laws either. Just enforce the existing.
So, no new laws related to immigration, I assume?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 07:29 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post

also what about all the people who are not criminals but have no knowledge of how to own and operate a weapon regardless. think of all the accidental shootings.

I doubt there is an even measurable number of gun accidents due to people not knowing how to operate their weapon.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:30 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
Ideally every single person who purchases a firearm would be sane, law-abiding and not prone to violence. I wouldn't have a problem w/ a longer waiting period...a more in-depth background check...fingerprinting for criminal backgrounds as well.

However, here is my biggest fear...the information given for the background checks, CCL's, and purchases of ammo (large purchases) are being shared and given to foreign countries and other "entities". Names, addresses, type of firearms. This, is the fine line we walk...we want people to be able to own firearms. We also want to be anonymous in our purchase from not only "our" government, but all other govt's and entities.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:32 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
No, enforce what we have. We are far softer on immigration violations than we are on guns.

Enforcement is what is at issue, not laws.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:38 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
No, enforce what we have. We are far softer on immigration violations than we are on guns.

Enforcement is what is at issue, not laws.
I agree on enforcement but then, I'm not sure if walking across the border is a cake walk. Could you prove it, given a chance?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:43 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
Quote:
I agree on enforcement but then, I'm not sure if walking across the border is a cake walk. Could you prove it, given a chance?
Crossing is not a cake walk, but once here, we are not big on enforcing their status. These people go through a lot of time and money to get over here. Why not do so legally? Because that takes more time, and if you can get here illegally, chances are you will not get caught once in, simply because we are not big on enforcement.

I would not want to cross and I understand the reasons for doing so, in a lot of cases.
We just have too many to care for as it is and really need to step up our efforts in getting the illegals out. This way we can take care of what is already ours and already here.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:48 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,836,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I causes issues where the police harrass gun owners who carry in public by treating them as criminals.
Concealed carry is not universal. A peace officer has no way to know if a person has met the requirements of CC if he doesn't check.

Conceled Carry is a priviledge offered by a community to its residents that meet the requirements. If a person finds it intrusive to have Law enforcement check permits, one can either leave his weapon at home or turn in his permit.

What is the purpose of a permit?...to show that the holder has met the requirements.

All have the right to bear arms; but precedent has set that communities can make rules on what constitutes an arm, where that arm can be housed, and in what manner that arm can be used.

If a person takes his arm outside and shoots at the moon, the constitution protects his right to that arm...but it does not restrict his community to make it illegal to discharge that arm in the community.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:49 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
What good would additional laws do when the federal governemnt doesn't enforce the ones we currently have?

Liberals always want more, more , more without upholding the laws already on the books. Their approach to gun control is no different.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 06-08-2011 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 06-08-2011, 07:52 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Even if you are a strong defender of the second amendment... why would you be so against increased gun regulation???
Because I'm a strong defender of the second amendment. "The right ... shall not be infringed" has a specific meaning, you know.

Quote:
Do you not think that it is too easy for criminals to acquire a weapon? Do you not see the problem that straw purchases are causing?
Straw purchases are already illegal. What do you propose? Making them more illegal?

Quote:
If you want to drive a car you have to take a written test. You then have to do 50 hrs of supervised training and then and only then are you able to take a test with a licensed tester. Same basic idea if you want a boating license, or pilot's license... or even if you want to bartend!
I'm drawing a blank... Which amendment to the Constitution guarantees the right to operate a motor vehicle or tend bar? I must have missed that one.

Quote:
But if you want to own a gun, in many states all you need is to walk into a gun show, undergo a simple background check and then minutes later you're walking out with a gun.
Even the background check is an infringement, and is, strictly speaking, not Constitutional. Gun owners have been making compromises like this for decades upon decades, and it's never enough for you people. Sorry, but enough is enough. Enforce the laws already on the books, instead of passing new ones that will also go unenforced. The only thing that passing a new gun control law does is strip rights from the law abiding.

Quote:
Besides convicted criminals and the mentally challenged most gun control advocates aren't trying to prevent people from owning guns.
Yes, they are. You need to look around a bit more, and look at what their end game is. People aren't stupid - they know that they can't get a blanket ban put in place in one shot. They'll just keep chipping away, a little here, a little there, until one day the only weapon you're allowed to buy is a shotgun, because "that's all you need to hunt ducks."

Quote:
We just want being able to acquire a device that could end someone's life to be a little be more involved... at least as involved as taking a driving test or getting a bartender's license.
So when I buy that knife set at Wal*Mart, you want me to go through a background check and take a test, too? How about when I buy a box of pencils at Office Depot? Virtually anything can be used to "end someone's life," and often is.

You're arguing from an emotional position, not a logical one. Your heart is in the right place, but you're advocating the creation of policy based on what you "feel," not what makes sense, or even what's Constitutional. You need to check your emotion at the door when considering this issue. It leads you down the wrong path.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:53 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Concealed carry is not universal. A peace officer has not way to know if a person has met the requirements of CC if he doesn't check.

Conceled Carry is a priviledge offered by a community to its residents that meet the requirements. If a person finds it intrusive to have Law enforcement check permits, one can either leave his weapon at home or turn in his permit.......
You agree with a police state to the degree that everyone is assumed guilty by the police until proven innocent? Really???

Why is "papers please" acceptable for law abiding firearms owners but a burden when it comes to registering to vote?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies