Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 04:37 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They have 10's if not 100's of cities, all brand new in China.
Thing is, they are completely vacant.

What is the plan for them?

NO foreigner should be able to own USA soil... PERIOD!!!

Only citizens should be allowed to own US soil.
so what do the supporters of the Tea party want for this country? This issue is par t of their bailiwick....just as the Mosque in Murfreesboro Tn was....

are they doing anything about it?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 04:39 PM

326 posts, read 871,995 times
Quote:
Another thing I would push is no foreign own businesses on US soil.

You can sell it as an import and taxed(tariff), but not make it here.

As long as foreign companies are hiring U.S. workers, what's the problem?

Old 06-08-2011, 04:48 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rubble View Post
As long as foreign companies are hiring U.S. workers, what's the problem?
Do you see the irony of regulating domestic companies to the point of moving off-shore, yet allowing foreign companies to setup (under their own terms) shop here? Can you digest the implications of such global engineering? Have you ever heard of the Trojan Horse?

Old 06-08-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Do you see the irony of regulating domestic companies to the point of moving off-shore, yet allowing foreign companies to setup (under their own terms) shop here? Can you digest the implications of such global engineering? Have you ever heard of the Trojan Horse?
I never advocated for regulating domestic companies in the manner you describe.

I'm not all that worried about a Chinese land invasion precipitated by commando teams planted in FTZs. If you are, by all means call your elected representatives and complain. After firmly affixing a new tinfoil hat.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:43 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rubble View Post
I never advocated for regulating domestic companies in the manner you describe.

I'm not all that worried about a Chinese land invasion precipitated by commando teams planted in FTZs. If you are, by all means call your elected representatives and complain. After firmly affixing a new tinfoil hat.
I didn't imply "YOU" advocated anything. There won't be any commandos, just guys with computers and access to our resources (reminds me of V in a twisted sort of way).

If you understand economics than I'm sure you understand that driving off domestic producers in favor of foreign producers is backassward financial reasoning. Thanks for the personal attack on something factually happening. Welcome to denial, how's the water?

Old 06-08-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I didn't imply "YOU" advocated anything. There won't be any commandos, just guys with computers and access to our resources (reminds me of V in a twisted sort of way).

If you understand economics than I'm sure you understand that driving off domestic producers in favor of foreign producers is backassward financial reasoning. Thanks for the personal attack on something factually happening. Welcome to denial, how's the water?
Okay, let's make this simple. In the status quo, many domestic companies have offshored operations. You allege that this is because of regulations. Okay, I'll buy that for the time being.

However, even if this is the case it has already happened. That is, the decision about whether to allow the Chinese to operate in FTZs here in the U.S. doesn't change any offshoring that may have occurred. Thus, I argue that it offers a net benefit if U.S. jobs are created. Would it be nice to have offshored jobs back? Sure. But that isn't relevant to this issue.

I said that this project isn't a bad thing if it employs U.S. workers. You gave two responses: a) the offshoring argument summarized above and b) a comment about the "Trojan Horse."

Now, the Trojan Horse was used to sneak what was essentially a commando team into Troy under the guise of a gift. I don't think it's much of a metaphor for what it is happening here, because the idea that the Chinese will sneak in ground troops is IMO far-fetched and paranoid. I don't know what you are talking about with regards to resources, but it certainly wasn't obvious from your earlier comment. Perhaps you can elaborate?

Old 06-08-2011, 09:14 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
All the info is verifiable...
That depends on the info you believe, and where you're verifying it.

Info: China is interested in establishing an FTZ (the details and limitations I established in a previous post) in Idaho for a large industrial complex - TRUE
Info: China is seizing US land to import an entire city of Chinese under communist rule - ABSURD

Verification: US Statutes and Regulations - REALITY
Verification: Online pseudo-blog of conspiracy theories - FANTASY

Quote:
Do you see the irony of crying foul when foreign companies lure manufacturing overseas, and also crying foul when foreign companies bring their manufacturing jobs to the US?

FTZ's are set up under OUR TERMS. It's US trade policy, and state and local jurisdictions have to be the primary applicant for the sponsoring company. If Idaho says 'not interested', then SinoMach doesn't come to ID. Period.

Additionally, domestic companies CAN be, and frequently are, the sponsor corporation in an FTZ. General Electric, Ford, Caterpillar, GM, and pretty much any major US company that engages in international trade take advantage of FTZs in the US.

Quote:
Another thing I would push is no foreign own businesses on US soil.

You can sell it as an import and taxed(tariff), but not make it here.

Oh, so your policy would be 'You can take our money, but it's illegal to give us jobs'. Hey, we get the worst of both worlds! Really well thought out. Brilliant! Additionally, anything that is exported to the US from an FTZ would be subject to normal importation proceedures and duties under current US law anyway.

These are not state secrets people. This has been US trade policy for the past 75 years but, all of the sudden, some internet moron writes a hysteric fairy tale of absurdities that makes its way across the bottom feeding internet conspiracy sites and you all think it's a secret Chinese plot to take over the US... Embarassing. With real patriots like you all, I don't think China needs much help catching us as a superpower.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:32 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Well, at least the stuff made there will bear the statement "Made in the USA".

Old 06-09-2011, 11:58 AM

61 posts, read 68,744 times
"Governor Otter says this will help reinvigorate our American industrial base. Just how this will do it, since the plants will be staffed with foreign nationals is a question that remains unanswered."

Idaho to be first Chinese state - Boise Conservative | Examiner.com (http://www.examiner.com/conservative-in-boise/idaho-to-be-first-chinese-state#ixzz1O1uDMAgm - broken link)

"A Chinese national company is interested in developing a 10,000- to 30,000-acre technology zone for industry, retail centers and homes south of the Boise Airport."

Chinese company eyes Boise | Boise, Garden City, Mountain Home | Idaho Statesman

I do not see what possibly can go wrong! /sarc

Old 06-09-2011, 11:59 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
So we should block foreign investment in the USA?
Only if the president is a Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies