Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 12:06 PM

47 posts, read 50,514 times

Advertisements

I don't care about religion, but for some reason I never see even the most peaceful or self proclaimed moderate Muslims speak out against the voilence committed in the name of Islam.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 12:10 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,416,387 times
There are two basic reasons for this.
1. They actually support it
2. They are scared to speak out against it because they are all too familiar with what will happen.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:12 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,260,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roofis View Post
I never see even the most peaceful or self proclaimed moderate Muslims speak out against the voilence committed in the name of Islam.
I have wondered the same thing.

Unless they too condone this, why not?

It leads many Americans to believe all Muslims have a very different value system than most of us.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:13 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,289,805 times
The actions of the terorrists today are identical to what Mohammad did in his day: beheadings, jihad, rape, terror, etc. To condem those actions would be to condem Mohammad and doing that is a death penalty in Islam.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:14 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,260,160 times
Quote:
I don't care about religion, but for some reason I never see even the most peaceful or self proclaimed moderate Muslims speak out against the violence committed in the name of Islam.
The truth IMO regarding Islam is the ones we'd consider moderate are the ones who are agnostic about their religion, the rest (at least 81% according to recent news) are into the radical Islamic beliefs outright.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:15 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,769,041 times
They do denounce extremism. Even a casual google search shows that. Their denunciations simply don't attract much media attention. And for some people, it doesn't matter how often or how vehement their denunciations, because extremists on the other side always claim it's not enough.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,905,145 times
Perhaps they have learned to apply the special Christian rule. If a Christian does something bad, then their Christianity is automatically revoked retroactively, aka the Tim McVeigh clause.

Maybe Muslims see no need to denouce violence caused by people that were never actually Muslims to begin with. Just like the Christians that no longer claim ownership of their own fanatics.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
They do denounce extremism. Even a casual google search shows that. Their denunciations simply don't attract much media attention. And for some people, it doesn't matter how often or how vehement their denunciations, because extremists on the other side always claim it's not enough.

Of course its the medias fault I've never seen one Muslim cleric on TV denounce any bombings or terrorist actions the biggest of course being 9/11. I never saw one Muslim cleric on TV say " Maybe its not a good idea to build an Islamic Center around the corner from ground zero. Even though we are fortunate to have the right to do it, a same right that would be denied to those not Muslim in our nations of origin, maybe it's not a good idea. Lets move it a few more blocks away as to honor the victims and not antagonize their loved ones". In high school there were a few liberal Muslims in my school that were hoping for a 'tie" in the Gulf War!

Old 06-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,905,145 times
Quote:
Of course its the medias fault I've never seen one Muslim cleric on TV denounce any bombings or terrorist actions the biggest of course being 9/11. I never saw one Muslim cleric on TV say " Maybe its not a good idea to build an Islamic Center around the corner from ground zero. Even though we are fortunate to have the right to do it, a same right that would be denied to those not Muslim in our nations of origin, maybe it's not a good idea. Lets move it a few more blocks away as to honor the victims and not antagonize their loved ones". In high school there were a few liberal Muslims in my school that were hoping for a 'tie" in the Gulf War!
Has a single Christian leader ever stated that it would not be a good idea to build a church near an abortion clinic? Is that a sign that the entire Christian religion is insensitive to the violence carried out by Christian terrorists that have shot doctors and blown up clinics?

Old 06-08-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Has a single Christian leader ever stated that it would not be a good idea to build a church near an abortion clinic? Is that a sign that the entire Christian religion is insensitive to the violence carried out by Christian terrorists that have shot doctors and blown up clinics?

Building a church near an abortion clinic, vs a terrorist attack that killed the same number of Americans as pearl harbor! I'm sorry I cant take you seriously!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies