Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 03:47 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
I'm guessing you aren't a true libertarian...otherwise you wouldn't view a tax exemption as "government funding". The money is yours to begin with; why shouldn't you get to keep more of it?
well, i think the problem is you are dealing with the current system and its not always practical to talk about an ideal. the government picks and chooses certain things it wants to support and doesnt want to support. certain things get advantages through beneficial tax treatment. so i would say it should be at least equal among all organizations. if you cut the religious tax break, then do so for all non-profits. which id favor over the current situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 03:48 PM

541 posts, read 1,902,350 times
So because the Federal government only steals from select groups we should then make it to where it steals from everyone? Got it.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:49 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
I'm guessing you aren't a true libertarian...otherwise you wouldn't view a tax exemption as "government funding". The money is yours to begin with; why shouldn't you get to keep more of it?
Lost income is lost government funding. But I see you said our Federal tax should be zero, which is what your credibility is with a statement like that. Or do you want to be speaking Chinese soon?

Old 06-08-2011, 03:53 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Currently, religious donations are tax deductible. There are an array of posts on here complaining about taxes and loopholes and how the government shouldn't be funding almost anything. The one thing you never hear is that giving to churches shouldn't be tax deductible.

I'm wondering why that is. I'm guessing the blogs and talk radio that give so many people on the right fringe their opinion aren't really for limited government. If they were, they'd want this gone. You hear nothing from them about it. It's almost as if they say one thing and really think another.
I'm OK with it. Just make sure you hit everyone, religious, philanthropic, food banks, Red Cross, etc.

And also remove the government spending that processes all of these tax credits - since those jobs and tasks would be useless.

Just remember the rule of thumb. Government subsidizes what it wants more of.

If you want charity, subsidize it.
If you want more home ownership, subsidize it.
If you want more unemployment, subsidize it.
If you want oil production, subsidize it.
If you want more freedom - remove subsidies, because there are usually rules and regulations attached.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:00 PM

541 posts, read 1,902,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Lost income is lost government funding. But I see you said our Federal tax should be zero, which is what your credibility is with a statement like that. Or do you want to be speaking Chinese soon?

Given that we didn't have a federal income tax until 1913 I would say I'm in good company with regards to credibility.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:06 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
I'm fiscally conservative and I've been complaining about religious exemptions for decades. I don't think any church should be exempt from any tax any where for any reason OTHER than property tax for the exact land upon which said church sits.

Nor any citizen for rendering unto Caesar...

Old 06-08-2011, 04:08 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Good point. It really shouldn't be tax-deductible. If a churchgoer chooses to donate, I'm not sure that I understand why they think that it should be tax-deductible. A person should give because they WANT to give, not because they are getting something on the back end.
And you are qualified to say that a person is giving only because they are getting a tax deduction? Who says they don't WANT to give? I gave to churches for years without taking a tax deduction because I didn't know there was one. Of course when I found out, I took it.

Personally, I think the deduction is fine, just like charitable donations to homeless shelters, Goodwill, etc. The only problem I have is when churches use their money to pay pastors 100k+ and spend most of the money just building a really nice place to hang out with their friends with a rec center for their kids. Too many churches are run like a business, not a charity.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:14 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Currently, religious donations are tax deductible. There are an array of posts on here complaining about taxes and loopholes and how the government shouldn't be funding almost anything. The one thing you never hear is that giving to churches shouldn't be tax deductible.

I'm wondering why that is. I'm guessing the blogs and talk radio that give so many people on the right fringe their opinion aren't really for limited government. If they were, they'd want this gone. You hear nothing from them about it. It's almost as if they say one thing and really think another.
Classic example of what the left thinks of other people's money. It isn't the governments so by not confiscating it the government isn't giving them anything. 48% of the country pays no income tax. Is the government giving the something?

Old 06-08-2011, 04:16 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
And you are qualified to say that a person is giving only because they are getting a tax deduction? Who says they don't WANT to give? I gave to churches for years without taking a tax deduction because I didn't know there was one. Of course when I found out, I took it.

Personally, I think the deduction is fine, just like charitable donations to homeless shelters, Goodwill, etc. The only problem I have is when churches use their money to pay pastors 100k+ and spend most of the money just building a really nice place to hang out with their friends with a rec center for their kids. Too many churches are run like a business, not a charity.
Good for you, Boomer. I'm not blaming the giver, please don't misunderstand me. They are just taking advantage of something that is there. We all need a break where we can get it. I think that you and I can agree that there are plenty of megachurches in Texas that fit the definition of grandiosity and excessiveness. There should be limits to what a church can pay or build to maintain their tax exempt status, in my opinion.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Any donations are tax deductible to a limit. Whether it's religious or not, it is a donation isn't it ?
What does it matter who anyone donates to ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies