Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 06:57 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,223,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
THANK GOD! It's about time we got back to fiscal responsibility.
.....and it appears the REPUBLICANS are leading you liberals there as you kick and scream.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:15 AM

14,479 posts, read 11,273,359 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
He was an extremely crappy president who turned budget surpluses into deficits. He deserved all the scorn he got. He also inherited peace and prosparity and left war and depression.
Are you effing serious?

In January of 2001 we were in a recession, 8 months later we experienced the worst act of war ever perpetrated on us by a foreign enemy. An act of war that was two years in the making. Based on a hostility that was ten years in the making.

You may want to remain a student.

Quote:
Furthermore Republicans and Conservatives don't demonize Obama because of Bush they demonize him because they hate more then anything else any Democrat that can kick their ass in a presidential election. They did the exact same thing they are doing to Obama to Clinton, and they were perhaps worse with Clinton and that was before Bush.
No president was ever demonized more than Bush.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:19 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,489,914 times
Honk if you still hate Bush

I never "hated" "W" Bush when he was President, or at any other time. I did, however, oppose his irresponsible decisions, and those of his administration, and his disregard for the lives of our military, and his attacks on our freedoms and culture. I noted in the last several days in the reports of the illness of George H.W. Bush, the first Bush President, that George W. did not spend Christmas with his critically ill father. If that report is accurate it would, for me, highlight the character flaws in "W."

Old 12-27-2012, 07:40 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,223,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Honk if you still hate Bush

I never "hated" "W" Bush when he was President, or at any other time. I did, however, oppose his irresponsible decisions, and those of his administration, and his disregard for the lives of our military, and his attacks on our freedoms and culture. I noted in the last several days in the reports of the illness of George H.W. Bush, the first Bush President, that George W. did not spend Christmas with his critically ill father. If that report is accurate it would, for me, highlight the character flaws in "W."
Both Jeb and "W" have visited their father twice,...but don't let that stop you from attacking the George W. Bush family. Certainly wouldn't want to interfere with your hatred.

And,...if you have never been to an ICU, maybe you should visit one. It's not like walking into a private hospital room. There are actually rules of visitation, and Bush, Sr. would probably rather have Barbara there instead of any of the sons.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:45 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post

Are you effing serious?

In January of 2001 we were in a recession, 8 months later we experienced the worst act of war ever perpetrated on us by a foreign enemy. An act of war that was two years in the making. Based on a hostility that was ten years in the making.

You may want to remain a student.

No president was ever demonized more than Bush.
Yes I am serious.

When he came into office there was peace and prosperity. 2000 was a boom year and 2001 was not a recession, but merely a correction. You should know that words like "recession" actually have definitions and 2001 does not meet that definition (a decline in GDP over 2 quarters). Furthermore, while his failure to consider terrorism as a threat did give cause for war in Afghanistan, he proceeded to completely ignore that war for the war of choice in Iraq. Thus why Afghanistan came to be known as "the forgotten war".

Finally I lived through the Clinton years, with Richard Melon Scaffe and his bull crap known as project Arkansas, white water and finally the impeachment for the Republicans the Clinton years were a witch hunt from end to end.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:54 AM

8,882 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
THANK GOD! It's about time we got back to fiscal responsibility.
Delighted to make the acquaintence of someone who doesn't view a return to Clinton-era tax rates as a totally awful thing.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Delighted to make the acquaintence of someone who doesn't view a return to Clinton-era tax rates as a totally awful thing.
The Clinton-era tax rates and reduction in pentagon spending are cause for celebration. The problem is the other stuff that happens.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Yes I am serious.

When he came into office there was peace and prosperity. 2000 was a boom year and 2001 was not a recession, but merely a correction. You should know that words like "recession" actually have definitions and 2001 does not meet that definition (a decline in GDP over 2 quarters). Furthermore, while his failure to consider terrorism as a threat did give cause for war in Afghanistan, he proceeded to completely ignore that war for the war of choice in Iraq. Thus why Afghanistan came to be known as "the forgotten war".
Market Indicators Confirm Recession Started On Clinton’s Watch. According to the Council of Economic Advisors, “it was widely recognized that the economy was weak coming into 2001.”

* The NASDAQ peaked on March 10, 2000;

* The S&P 500 peaked on March 24, 2000;

* The Dow Jones peaked on January 14, 2000;

* Manufacturing employment started falling in August 2000;

* Industrial production started falling in July 2000; and

* Manufacturing trade and sales started falling in April 2000.

(Council Of Economic Advisors, Talking Points, 9/20/02)

Old 12-27-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
The Clinton-era tax rates and reduction in pentagon spending are cause for celebration. The problem is the other stuff that happens.
Yes, the reduction in Pentagon spending was great until this little thing called 9/11 and the need for massive troop deployments overseas.

Besides, BO likes to spend lots of money. Getting him to use the increased revenue to pay off the deficit may be impossible.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Market Indicators Confirm Recession Started On Clinton’s Watch. According to the Council of Economic Advisors, “it was widely recognized that the economy was weak coming into 2001.”

* The NASDAQ peaked on March 10, 2000;

* The S&P 500 peaked on March 24, 2000;

* The Dow Jones peaked on January 14, 2000;

* Manufacturing employment started falling in August 2000;

* Industrial production started falling in July 2000; and

* Manufacturing trade and sales started falling in April 2000.

(Council Of Economic Advisors, Talking Points, 9/20/02)
I thought I had made it clear that there is a definition for the term recession. Now there are certainly groups that make up their own definitions for recession, but the fact is there were no 2 consecutive quarters of -GDP and that is the commonly accepted definition of a recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies