Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:16 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I think what we have here is increasing blindness to the opportunities that abound in America--or aversion to the work involved in turning opportunity into accomplishment. If there were six of me I know exactly how I would keep them all busy, being of service to others and proving it by getting paid.

Opportunity knocks. It does NOT come into your house and drag your dead ass off the couch.
I like what you said. And the way you think. When opportunity does knock, take your chances at it, if all else fails, at least you tried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 08:06 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Gates and Buffest are heavy into eugenics and decreasing the population. Does that also describe you? Have another glass of koolaid.
Population should be decreased, but what has this to do with the topic. Have you read the book. Read it and then get back to me.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:09 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Of course, the difference between the very wealthy and the middle class is that the very wealthy have their primary source of income derived from their wealth and not from their work.

So what was your point in making the distinction?
You were interchanging income and wealth to make it sound as if all people who make a high income are wealthy.

A large percentage of people who make an income over say $500,000 do so for one maybe two years at the most. A sale of a business, stock option, house, a large one time commission or bonuses can cause many people to be "rich" for that year. They pay their 45% state and federal taxes, buy a few things, invest a little but they are hardly the "wealthy elite".

We need to stop stereotypes and generalizations. Someone who make a high income one year is not the same as a Bank executive who receives $10 million in bonuses from our tax payer bailouts. The problem is for politicians the only way to get at all of the money is to convince the masses that everyone who makes high incomes are undeserving bank executive types.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
You were interchanging income and wealth to make it sound as if all people who make a high income are wealthy.

A large percentage of people who make an income over say $500,000 do so for one maybe two years at the most. A sale of a business, stock option, house, a large one time commission or bonuses can cause many people to be "rich" for that year. They pay their 45% state and federal taxes, buy a few things, invest a little but they are hardly the "wealthy elite".

We need to stop stereotypes and generalizations. Someone who make a high income one year is not the same as a Bank executive who receives $10 million in bonuses from our tax payer bailouts. The problem is for politicians the only way to get at all of the money is to convince the masses that everyone who makes high incomes are undeserving bank executive types.
Fair enough. How about for a start we count the 412 billionaires in the U.S. who have a combined net worth of 1.2 trillion dollars. Should these people be worried? Could there be a crowd forming in the future crying "off with their heads". At this point in time, they are being glorified.

Will history repeat itself?

Old 06-10-2011, 11:30 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,898 times
Quote:
To get paid there has to be money. Despite how much money the feds have printed the money is being tied up by banks and the very wealthy. There is simply less money in circulation than before. I wish it were simply as simple as you say, but it is not. The reason that the middle class is shrinking has absolutely nothing to do with our population being more lazy. to the contrary. The stats back up the fact that we work more than most every society in the world. We are not lazy people.
Sour grapes. If you have a good idea, work hard you can succeeed. I spent 12 yrs in college, got 3 degrees, was willing to move around the country to pursue opportunitites, took 60K in school loans, lived with roomates until teh age of 30 and did not get married till 40. The point is, those who are willing to outwork others, work hard can accomplish alot. I would rather not sit back and play the victim card and control my own destiny. I know many people that are quite well off and they started from nothing. I just don't buy what your selling.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:31 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,898 times
Quote:
Fair enough. How about for a start we count the 412 billionaires in the U.S. who have a combined net worth of 1.2 trillion dollars. Should these people be worried? Could there be a crowd forming in the future crying "off with their heads". At this point in time, they are being glorified.

No they shouldn't..and good for them. Why do people think they deserve what is someone elses. Geez...

Old 06-10-2011, 11:34 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
I have to wonder what motivates the OP to be so envious of what some people may or may not have? Since when did coveting the wealth or property of others become an admirable character trait?

Old 06-10-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I have to wonder what motivates the OP to be so envious of what some people may or may not have? Since when did coveting the wealth or property of others become an admirable character trait?
I do not covet anyone else's wealth. Why must you always make your responses personal attacks.

I am pointing out that we are fast approaching circumstances that have taken place many times in history prior. WHen most of the wealth is tied up in the hands of a few with a very small middle class and a very large class of poor people, the end result is almost inevitable...revolution.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:43 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:

Oh sure we have the authoritarian elites like Soros and the Koch brothers using the masses to fight it out but it could very easily go against all of them.

The problem is again, we need to differentiate between those who built a better mouse trap and those who used government privilege to build their wealth.

Here is a great overview of that concept.

A Synopsis of Henry George's "Progress & Poverty"

Old 06-10-2011, 11:43 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
At this stage, the very wealthy still have the peasants believing that the very wealthy deserve the billions that they have. At some point, the peasants will become hungry and very resentful of the lavish lifestyles of the very wealthy. It is really becoming the best of times and the worst of times.

I pray that things will change before we have a revolution. It is up to the very wealthy to start making some changes. Time is fast approaching.

Lets hope that history does not repeat itself. For those who have not read the book, it is a very good read.
that's the way the progressive fascist liberals want it 2 classes..the rich liberal elite, and the serfs..with no middleclass...the liberals utopia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies