Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the decline of manliness is good or bad?
It's more good than bad 13 22.81%
It's more bad than good 44 77.19%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 04:23 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I definitely notice this. I don't let it effect me. In the hood, everything is basically still the same. Same masculine mentality and hoodlums running amuck. It's mainly changing in growing metropolitan areas like Los Angeles and New York. But I admit there's a change even in the hood. Within the younger generation. I'm currently in high school and I notice more kids are coming out as either bisexual or gay and I definitely attribute this to the gay agenda being shoved into our faces with MTV and BET and all the biggest music artist. I have noticed over the last 10 years, there's a decline in the masculine identity of men in America. And I blame it entirely on liberals, feminist, absent fathers, and atheist. They are the ones who are responsible for this and they don't care that they are destroying our nation. I'm in constant shock and awe at the latest things I'm hearing and discovering in my high school. We need to return to a masculine identity that we once had because all these other countries think we're a bunch of pansies and wusses. And I am absolutely floored by it all. All I have to say is, good luck if you support the liberal party. You'll regret it.
Yeah, better for the gay guys to just keep it locked up inside, with the occasional secret rendezvous, from which any potential, um, germs, are then shared with their women. That's the classy way to do it.

Or do you think gay people magically don't exist when the culture suppresses it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 04:31 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I'm currently in high school and I notice more kids are coming out as either bisexual or gay and I definitely attribute this to the gay agenda being shoved into our faces with MTV and BET and all the biggest music artist.
You really think people can "turn gay" because of a TV network? That's not how it works. If someone decides to act on a same-sex attraction, it's because they were attracted to the same sex in the first place. You can't take a 100% straight guy and convince him to become gay, just as you can't take a 100% gay guy and convince him to be attracted to women.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:35 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
I do agree with the author on some levels. Here's more evidence of males being suppressed:

College fraternities: War being waged on college fraternities - latimes.com

It does seem like we're trying to "tame" men to a point where they have to behave more like females in order to be accepted. Women can "roar" and be masculine and assertive - in fact, they're encouraged to - while men are encouraged to be more docile.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I do agree with the author on some levels. Here's more evidence of males being suppressed:

College fraternities: War being waged on college fraternities - latimes.com

It does seem like we're trying to "tame" men to a point where they have to behave more like females in order to be accepted. Women can "roar" and be masculine and assertive - in fact, they're encouraged to - while men are encouraged to be more docile.
College is a world unto itself, lol. But generally, I just don't feel like we're at the tipping point where I'm actually prepared to feel sorry for the poor oppressed manly-men. Even something like this should serve as a wake-up call to the guys that "your buddies might be impressed, but most people aren't."

This is typical of the Manhattan Institute's work: they'll make reasonable subpoints while arguing for a not-so-reasonable larger point. They're better than most conservative think tanks, but they still have this somewhat unwieldy axe to grind.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:24 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transhumanist View Post
Has anyone else noticed a loss of manliness over the course of the past hundred years or so? It seems like men are slowly becoming more and more like women. Men are starting to think it's acceptable to show their emotions and be open, more like girls than men. Don't get me wrong, sometimes this can be a good thing and can lead to more successful relationships and to accepting other people for who they are. However it can also be done too much, to the point where it becomes pathetic, liberal, weak, and general failures of society. It can also lead to ruining relationships, since while many girls claim to want a really sensitive guy, they also want a strong man with a mysterious dark side to him. Please tell me that I'm not the only person here who noticed this. Also, what do you suggest we do about it? And last but not least, do you think that the loss of manliness is more good than bad or more bad than good?
You might want to look into relocating to a country like Saudi Arabia or Iran. They have your same views of "manliness".

BTW, why is liberalism considered feminine or unmanly? Jeff Monson is extremely liberal. I dare you to call him "girly".

Jeff Monson

Old 06-11-2011, 12:25 AM

330 posts, read 599,230 times
What is a "real man" in my opinion...?

A real man strives to become a leader, not by intimidation, and NEVER by striking a woman or his fellow man, but by example and by respect.
A real man has left his childhood behind, he makes no excuses for his situation in life, he takes responsibility and even if confronted with challenges, he strives to overcome them, and better his situation.
A real man will ask a woman out on a date, and pay for that date, and pick up his date (if possible), He will provide the plans for that date and have suitable options for his date.
A real man will open car doors for any woman, be it for his mother or a complete stranger, he will give up his seat to any woman, and any older man on a bus or train.
A real man will dress his age and know how to dress himself
A real man will respect the opinions and actions of others but still be true to himself
A real man will always attempt to be a leader in any situation
A real man will learn ways to defend himself, his woman, his family, and his property
A real man will attempt to join the community at large and become a beneficial part of it
A real man will be kind to all of g-d's creatures even if he personally does not like them
A real man will be informed of current events
A real man will know at least basic ideas of science, literature and history
A real man will always use his networks of friends and associates to help others
now my fellow men, it's time to "MAN UP"

Old 06-11-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-writer-guy View Post
What is a "real man" in my opinion...?

A real man strives to become a leader, not by intimidation, and NEVER by striking a woman or his fellow man, but by example and by respect.
A real man has left his childhood behind, he makes no excuses for his situation in life, he takes responsibility and even if confronted with challenges, he strives to overcome them, and better his situation.
A real man will ask a woman out on a date, and pay for that date, and pick up his date (if possible), He will provide the plans for that date and have suitable options for his date.
A real man will open car doors for any woman, be it for his mother or a complete stranger, he will give up his seat to any woman, and any older man on a bus or train.
A real man will dress his age and know how to dress himself
A real man will respect the opinions and actions of others but still be true to himself
A real man will always attempt to be a leader in any situation
A real man will learn ways to defend himself, his woman, his family, and his property
A real man will attempt to join the community at large and become a beneficial part of it
A real man will be kind to all of g-d's creatures even if he personally does not like them
A real man will be informed of current events
A real man will know at least basic ideas of science, literature and history
A real man will always use his networks of friends and associates to help others
now my fellow men, it's time to "MAN UP"
Some good qualities there, but in the end this "real man" sounds a bit like a tightly-wound, arrogant control freak with a savior complex.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:36 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
That list doesn't surprise me as it is actually very difficult to come up with specific POSITIVE examples of manliness. Thus that odd list of properties some of which describe a gentleman, others simply a person of either sex.

Last edited by Neuling; 06-11-2011 at 10:05 AM..

Old 06-11-2011, 09:55 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
If your talking about keeping your wife pregeant and bare footed then I think that isn't exactly manly really.If your talking about mannerism and looks then I thnik from a distance many women are hard to tell if they are a man or woman by dress and even often in listening to them swear like sailors.Many look like poorly dressed and groomed men really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies