Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 08:50 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Step one is to remove the idea that all students have a "right" to be there.
eh?
If anyone has a right to be there it's the students.

Quote:
I think kids that have proven over the years that they have no interest in learning and serve only to disrupt, have no business in the schools and we need to be allowed to remove such students....
Rather broad brush you're using there but I get your point anyway.
Dealing with the miscreants and disruptive one's is a different matter in any case.

Whether they behave or not the raw mass of them need to be somewhere that hopefully will keep them out of trouble in the late afternoons and over summers. When neither the parents or the neighbors are available or able or often even inclined to offer these daycare or summer camp counselor like activities and services... who gets pointed to as the solution to solve that problem?

My objection is when such gets masqueraded as education.

btw: If you had paid a bit more attention in school you might have learned how to make you point sooner, simpler and at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 09:17 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
I don't think kids could last learning longer but they could have organized fun after school programs. That's exactly what one of my relatives is working on. He's outlined a program for kids after school. They would have programs that would give kids an opportunity at play in a healthy and fun way. Kids need play but this would deter them from turning to drugs/sex/crime.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:19 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Why not get them home to their stellar homes lives sooner?

The left doesnt think teachers are the problem. If they did, there would be wholesale rejection of the NEA.

Instead the left thinks not enough money is the problem.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:43 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
I love education. It is the epitome of conservative hyocrisy.

On one hand, conservatives preach personal responsibility and family values.

On the other hand, conservatives are always first to blame teachers that struggle teaching children who come from homes where family values are non-existent and personal responsibility is not taught.

When it comes to education, conservatives blame teachers, administrators, the NEA, unions etc. They NEVER blame the parents of the students.

Can you get anymore hypocritical than that?

Old 06-10-2011, 11:53 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
On the contrary, I think we give school children much less flexibility and accommodation than we even give adults in the workplace. In the workplace, adults can go to the bathroom whenever they need. They can even get a coffee when they want. Many companies even factor breaks into their contract.

Adults are allowed to choose the field they go into for work. At the college level, adults get to choose what they major in and which classes they take--at least for the most part.

Children aren't even allowed to go to the bathroom with the teacher's permission. I think if we accommodated children just a little bit more, we would produce much more successful future workers.

School children aren't allowed to choose their classes or teachers. They aren't allowed to choose which school they go to most of the time.

I'm not saying we give children all the privileges of the adult world, but accommodating their biological clock would only help, not harm. I think kids would be much more productive if their base needs (bathroom, biological clock) were met.
Been in a high school recently? You give kids carte blanche to go to the bathroom and you'll have 120 kids living in the hallways at any given time during the school day.... You can bank on that.

Anyway, do you want me to run down the exhaustive list of things that kids get away with in schools that would get them TERMINATED in the workforce?

Old 06-10-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
eh?
If anyone has a right to be there it's the students.

Rather broad brush you're using there but I get your point anyway.
Dealing with the miscreants and disruptive one's is a different matter in any case.
Its a much too common matter... And these kids successfully ruin the learning environment quite often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational
Whether they behave or not the raw mass of them need to be somewhere that hopefully will keep them out of trouble in the late afternoons and over summers. When neither the parents or the neighbors are available or able or often even inclined to offer these daycare or summer camp counselor like activities and services... who gets pointed to as the solution to solve that problem?

My objection is when such gets masqueraded as education.
Certainly. My point is that this needs to be separated from the kids that actually ARE trying to learn something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational
btw: If you had paid a bit more attention in school you might have learned how to make you point sooner, simpler and at all.
And you probably would have learned better proofreading skills. Guess we all took the occasional nap.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
The left doesnt think teachers are the problem. If they did, there would be wholesale rejection of the NEA.

Instead the left thinks not enough money is the problem.
If it weren't for Unions, teachers would NEVER make it to 30 years... They would be shoved out the door for younger and CHEAPER teachers...

The NEA doesn't stand for everything good in our educational system for sure, but it isn't 100% evil either.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
9 to 5 won't cut it. I'm sure parents would rather 8-6 for the daycare services.
Serve breakfast, lunch, dinner and the parents only have to worry about getting them up in the morning and dressed and then home at night and into bed.

Have the teachers make them do their homework as well.
No more after school activities.

Heck, teachers don't need lives outside of schools..50+ hours a week at the school is nothing for them..right ? You plan to up their pay ?

FWIW behavior management is the biggest issue in schools today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies