Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 06:32 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
[sarcasm]Because it's worked so well up to now?[/sarcasm]

All the evidence points to the American private system as being the one with the highest increase in the rate of costs. If one really was interested in controlling costs, there are many examples around the world of how that is possible.

Moreover, the CBO says that the Affordable Care Act reduces HC costs. So, you can believe whatever you want but there isn't evidence to support it.
Good lord. Obviously the affordable care act reduces cost (in the private sector!) which is what the CBO report states. The CBO report does not address the extra costs which must be paid by government. Look at the net health care costs of the country. Please re-do your graphs to include the amount of government spending on health insurance under the current system as well as the affordable care act. The extra governmental support is not currently fully funded, which means, at the end of the day, either taxes must increase or more debt must be incurred. So I will say it again - the total cost due will absolutely increase due to health care legislation.

If you want to look at how health care systems 'work' in other countries, take a look at Sweden. On top of government provided health care (which was supposed to dramatically lower costs!) 60% of Swedish citizens but supplemental private insurance because the quality of care under government run plans is so terrible. That is typical for government run health care. Look at the total cost to maintain the same level of care (add in all of the supplemental costs citizens choose to take on, something the CBO conveniently ignores) and you will NEVER find a single country with lower costs in a national system as opposed to a private one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 06:36 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The healthcare bill did nothing to control costs; it expanded to include more people at subsidized rates.

Now just who pays for that government mandated subsidization ?
It's you via higher premium payments now and probably higher taxes as we get closer to 2014.
Exactly - rates skyrocketed because people were largely insulated from the cost of their care, and from the increases in their cost.

Obama's answer? Force people to be even more insulated from the costs!

Like that cheap high-deductible policy where you pay the first few thousand yourself? Sorry, you can't be allowed to shoulder any of the cost yourself.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:40 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
The healthcare bill did nothing to control costs; it expanded to include more people at subsidized rates.

Now just who pays for that government mandated subsidization ?
It's you via higher premium payments now and probably higher taxes as we get closer to 2014.
Actually, the cost saving come from the fact that the law mandates that insurance companies by 85% of premiums on HC. That means that 15% is limited to a combination of lobbying, Admin costs, CEO bonuses, etc.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:41 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

If you want to look at how health care systems 'work' in other countries, take a look at Sweden. On top of government provided health care (which was supposed to dramatically lower costs!) 60% of Swedish citizens but supplemental private insurance because the quality of care under government run plans is so terrible. That is typical for government run health care.
Why don't you compare it to France, which has the best HC in the world and is 1/2 the cost of the U.S. and covers everyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Look at the total cost to maintain the same level of care (add in all of the supplemental costs citizens choose to take on, something the CBO conveniently ignores) and you will NEVER find a single country with lower costs in a national system as opposed to a private one.
Oh really?

But this is a tangent from the thread which was discredited around post 53. The report in question was bogus.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:43 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
At Least 30% of Employers WILL Drop HC Coverage for Employees Under obamacare

'We have to pass the bill to know what's in it...'

- gotta love the innocence

Old 06-22-2011, 06:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Actually, the cost saving come from the fact that the law mandates that insurance companies by 85% of premiums on HC. That means that 15% is limited to a combination of lobbying, Admin costs, CEO bonuses, etc.
When the costs go up so does that percentage.
I was seeing 10% increases yearly but last year (Nov 2010) I got a 20% increase in my premiums.
I got a letter saying the increase was due to them having to increase the amount in their pool due to some early obamacare mandates kicking in (expanded coverage to allow child dependents to stay on policies til 26).

Percentage is a misnomer. Didn't your premiums go up ?
Mine is United Healthcare (Texas).

Old 06-22-2011, 06:48 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Why don't you compare it to France, which has the best HC in the world and is 1/2 the cost of the U.S. and covers everyone?
Oh, you mean the French system where copays are between 10%-40% and where 92% of citizens have complimentary private health insurance? (both costs of which are commonly left out of statistics).

France's health care system is currently 11% of their GDP (see reference below) which makes it the third most expensive health care system in the world. Or I could talk about the 18% tax that all French citizens pay for health care alone...would you be OK with a tax hike of 18% for health insurance?

I can go into detail about any of these numbers if you want. Or do you want to read a bit more and trust charts from the news a little less before you continue this conversation?

Read this for reference:
Tanner, Michael D. (2008) “The Grass Is Not Always Greener: A Look at National Health Care Systems Around the World” Cato Policy Analysis no. 613.

EDIT:
As I said before - please re-do the graph adding in supplemental insurance costs for countries with nationalized health care. that graph does not include those. You keep ignoring costs spent in the private sector on supplemental insurance in countries with nationalized plans! When you have a new graph which includes that information, let me know.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:51 AM
C.C

Quote:
When the costs go up so does that percentage.
I was seeing 10% increases yearly but last year (Nov 2010) I got a 20% increase in my premiums.

Percentage is a misnomer. Didn't your premiums go up ?
Mine is United Healthcare (Texas).
It's nothing but a perverse incentive for carriers to overpay for treatments and jack up the premiums. By 2014 they'll be so high that 15% will be plenty to cover all the overhead they want.

The few mechanisms that did have a small favorable effect on costs were HSA's, FSA's and high-deductible policy options. So of course we have to eliminate those...

Old 06-22-2011, 06:55 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Single payer now!
you couldnt afford singlepayer

to cover our 320 million people would cost netween 2.5 to 5 Trillion dollars A YEAR.

25k-50k to each taxpayer

can you afford that????

Old 06-22-2011, 06:59 AM
C.C

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
you couldnt afford singlepayer

to cover our 320 million people would cost netween 2.5 to 5 rillion dollars A YEAR.

25k-50k to each taxpayer

can you afford that????
The old adage has never been truer - "if you think health care is expensive now, just wait till it's free!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies