Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:10 AM

112 posts, read 62,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Which is precisely what every other profession in the world does, hiring their own lawyers and lobbyists to do it.

Physicians, land developers...they all do it.

I think you meant "hindrance" and yes, your opinion is incredible, as in not credible.
Those professions only have to hire the lawyers because Law makers want it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 10:12 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
I've been in meetings where the lawyers start going at it with each other (just playing devil's advocate or trying out arguments) and it freaks out the normal people who don't realize that it's just an academic exercise. Then when the lawyers are finished they act like there wasn't even an argument and that freaks the other people out even more.

LOL! I have totally seen that!

And it did freak the other people out...I found it entertaining.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:13 AM

70 posts, read 45,877 times
Quote:
To the ideas expressed in the video.

You do have a point though - but I think it's not really an argument "style" that they teach in law school (to the extent they teach anything in law school, typically they don't).

Trial lawyers especially love to argue and see it as a sport, and as a result they are very good at it - too good for some people. Sometimes they forget that an argument isn't universally viewed this way or that most other people don't have the thick skins developed through the ritualized verbal abuse they got from professors in law school - one of the few practical things that get taught there.

"Normal" people tend to take things personally that lawyers would just shrug off, and a lot of lawyers can't just "turn off" that function when they leave the office...

I've been in meetings where the lawyers start going at it with each other (just playing devil's advocate or trying out arguments) and it freaks out the normal people who don't realize that it's just an academic exercise. Then when the lawyers are finished they act like there wasn't even an argument and that freaks the other people out even more.
This is an excellent point. Attorneys recreate during conversations by arguing, whether it be Lebron vs. Jordan, or the efficacy of the exigent circumstances rule for warrantless searches. Non-lawyers do not find this enjoyable.

Also, the idea that lawyers argue for the sake of arguing, or for sport, or just to beat opponents into the ground is way overblown thanks to portrayals in the media. Most attorneys never sniff a courtroom, and are forced to abandon the good argument for the one that will persuade the other side to capitulate, or give ground.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DairousTheGreat View Post
Those professions only have to hire the lawyers because Law makers want it that way.
Many laws are written by non-lawyers, and they're usually the laws that foretell quite unintended and undesirable consequences. There's a reason that legal training helps when you're writing laws, just like there's a reason pharmacists counsel you on how your medicines interact.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:16 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah. Poor guys. 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
heh

Old 06-10-2011, 10:22 AM

112 posts, read 62,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
heh
Many Lawyers are good people who sold their souls to an institution that promotes litigiousness (greed). It is a career that pays well but in my opinion creates a bog in American culture. Lawyers are a impediment to progress.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I agree...fill a contract up with legalese and then suddenly you are forced to hire someone who can interpret it.

It's an extremely self-perpetuating profession. Plus the foxes are guarding the henhouse, so to speak.

But lots of professions are guilty of creating their own languages and 'secret handshakes,' thereby becoming inaccessible to the common guy.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Many Lawyers are good people who sold their souls to an institution that promotes litigiousness (greed). It is a career that pays well but in my opinion creates a bog in American culture. Lawyers are a impediment to progress.
Were you sued recently or something?

And lawyers get paid, on average, about as well as dental hygienists.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree...fill a contract up with legalese and then suddenly you are forced to hire someone who can interpret it.

It's an extremely self-perpetuating profession. Plus the foxes are guarding the henhouse, so to speak.

But lots of professions are guilty of creating their own languages and 'secret handshakes,' thereby becoming inaccessible to the common guy.
More like most. Grease monkeys are probably the worst, but we hold them up as blue-collar heros because they work with their hands.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:30 AM

I was involved in a suit once.

What was interesting about the whole process is that it had nothing to do with getting to the truth. Just manipulating facts. And in the end, even the plaintiff got screwed...but the lawyers walked away with cash in their pockets.

It was a thoroughly fascinating process...like the most interesting colonoscopy you ever had.

Then I was called as an expert witness in another case...and again, it was interesting how nothing was about truth or justice...it was about proving little points that would, as a whole, hopefully influence a bunch of jurors.

Honestly, I would love to go to law school (and my lawyer relatives/friends tell me I'd love it and be great at it) just for the mental exercise. It's really quite interesting to me. I just would never do it as a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies