Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:10 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times

Advertisements

IMO, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Buying a house is not like buying a car, and it's not like buying a certificate of deposit.

People should re-evaluate why they are buying a house. I will buy a house because: I want a home, I like the location, and I like the house. But, I would be very surprised if the house hasn't appreciated in value in 15-20 years, (at least somewhat) when/if I decide to sell.

If you only plan to stay at a location for 5-10 years, and you're worried that buying a house isn't a good investment, you should probably rent. That way, you'll know exactly how much money you will lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 11:13 AM

112 posts, read 62,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
IMO, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Buying a house is not like buying a car, and it's not like buying a certificate of deposit.

People should re-evaluate why they are buying a house. I will buy a house because: I want a home, I like the location, and I like the house. But, I would be very surprised if the house hasn't appreciated in value in 15-20 years, (at least somewhat) when/if I decide to sell.

If you only plan to stay at a location for 5-10 years, and you're worried that buying a house isn't a good investment, you should probably rent. That way, you'll know exactly how much money you will lose.
Even if a home appreciates in value in 15-20 years you have to take into account the money spent on taxes, interest, Maintenance etc.. to own your home. Once you deduct those amounts from any appreciation in value you almost positively will not come out ahead.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DairousTheGreat View Post
Even if a home appreciates in value in 15-20 years you have to take into account the money spent on taxes, interest, Maintenance etc.. to own your home. Once you deduct those amounts from any appreciation in value you almost positively will not come out ahead.
When choosing a place to live, you have the option of owning or renting. (am I forgetting an option?) Sure, you may not come out "ahead" when owning, but you are guaranteed to lose money when renting.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:16 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
When things were good they were good. Not going to lie, made a lot of money in real estate. Same thing would not be happening now. Heard this morning that home values around the Country are going to drop again. I actually want to sell one of my rentals, but even though i would make money on the home, not where i want it to be, still that stupid mentality. I am making good money right now with renting two of my homes out. Really want to sell one, not now, but when!

Old 06-10-2011, 11:19 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Well, I will take this with a grain of salt being that you are a real estate agent.

If you take into account all of the money homeowners put into maintaining a home ,over time, it is NOT an investment.

^^^in some cases,?? people build houses and sell them for a profit all the time.. location, location, location..

i know some people that built a 500,000 dollar home and had like 200,000 thousand in maintenance over 20 year period,, but when they sold it, they got 2.1 million.!!>> and rebuilt a new house in the same highend neighborhood and had a good chunk left over..

Old 06-10-2011, 11:27 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
^^^in some cases,?? people build houses and sell them for a profit all the time.. location, location, location..

i know some people that built a 500,000 dollar home and had like 200,000 thousand in maintenance over 20 year period,, but when they sold it, they got 2.1 million.!!>> and rebuilt a new house in the same highend neighborhood and had a good chunk left over..
It isn't like that anymore especially with resales. The reason you can build a NEW home and make a profit, because people get ripped off when buying new homes. It costs about 100K including labor to build a house that you can sell for over 400K. It's a bloated rip off and always has been.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:56 AM

112 posts, read 62,861 times
Quote:
When choosing a place to live, you have the option of owning or renting. (am I forgetting an option?) Sure, you may not come out "ahead" when owning, but you are guaranteed to lose money when renting.
30% of homeowners are underwater right now.

0% of renters have negative equity.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
30% of homeowners are underwater right now.

0% of renters have negative equity.
"Right now" is an unusual situation. Housing prices were overinflated because of the housing bubble, and then declined quickly when the bubble burst.

If people stopped looking at a real estate purchase as an investment, and returned to the days when they were buying a home instead, we probably wouldn't be in this mess. But, IMO, homeownership is still a better "investment" than renting.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:07 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
"Right now" is an unusual situation. Housing prices were overinflated because of the housing bubble, and then declined quickly when the bubble burst.

If people stopped looking at a real estate purchase as an investment, and returned to the days when they were buying a home instead, we probably wouldn't be in this mess. But, IMO, homeownership is still a better "investment" than renting.
Yes it is better than renting, but the days of making money on your home are long gone IMHO. Now maybe we can get rid of realestate agents and brokers as well, they are a scam anyway.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:33 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,246 times
You guys know there is a real estate forum, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies