Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:54 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
San Francisco is one of the most segregated cities in the country.

Orange County, California is one of the most segregated areas of the country.

Now what's your point?

The issue isn't one of Liberal vs. Conservative when it comes to areas of the country that are highly segregated.

The factors that determine if an area is segregated or not tend based more on history, race and economics, than simply throwing people into Liberal and Conservative categories.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:08 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
San Francisco is one of the most segregated cities in the country.
No it isn't at all. San Francisco is hardly among the very most segregated cities in the US. Almost all cities have different distinct ethnic enclaves, but San Francisco can't compare to Midwestern or Southern cities where you have core cities that are predominantly black and suburban cities that are over 90 percent white, in terms of segregation. There's plenty of neighborhoods in San Francisco like the Mission District or Richmond that have a mix of ethnicities or neighborhoods like the Excelsior District on the south side that have an almost equal mix of whites, Asians, and Hispanics.

There's always going to be some segregation, that's somewhat natural--but you can find plenty of examples of places far more segregated than the San Francisco Bay Area.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
The ewlite liberals always live i elitist areas or if other then highly secdired areas.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:15 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The ewlite liberals always live i elitist areas or if other then highly secdired areas.
Who are the Ewlite liberals and why do they live in places other than highly secdired areas?

Old 06-10-2011, 12:26 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
No it isn't at all. San Francisco is hardly among the very most segregated cities in the US. Almost all cities have different distinct ethnic enclaves, but San Francisco can't compare to Midwestern or Southern cities where you have core cities that are predominantly black and suburban cities that are over 90 percent white, in terms of segregation. There's plenty of neighborhoods in San Francisco like the Mission District or Richmond that have a mix of ethnicities or neighborhoods like the Excelsior District on the south side that have an almost equal mix of whites, Asians, and Hispanics.

There's always going to be some segregation, that's somewhat natural--but you can find plenty of examples of places far more segregated than the San Francisco Bay Area.
Yes it is, there is a ton of documentation of straight blacks being discriminated against when trying to move into certain areas of San Francisco. For a city that's supposed to be the liberal mecca shouldn't anyone be welcome anywhere? Try driving a vehicle that isn't seen by many to "green" through downtown SF on a work day evening and see how tolerant the natives become. Try putting a non-liberal bumper sticker on a car and park it around the city, see how long it takes for someone to try peeling it off.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:28 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Orange County, California is one of the most segregated areas of the country.

Now what's your point?

The issue isn't one of Liberal vs. Conservative when it comes to areas of the country that are highly segregated.

The factors that determine if an area is segregated or not tend based more on history, race and economics, than simply throwing people into Liberal and Conservative categories.
I was speaking about individual cities, I know you have to somehow change the subject to make this fit your agenda so do what you do best and spin away.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:30 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Oh and Conservatives are such lovers of diversity and communing with people of different races and cultures?

I guess that's why guys like Ronald Reagan have covenent deeds on their property that expressly forbid the sale of their land to a person of color.

Ronald Reagan’s “Extremism” and the 1966 California Gubernatorial Election (http://www.britannica.com/blogs/2011/02/ronald-reagan’s-“extremism”-and-the-1966-california-gubernatorial-election/ - broken link)

Quote:
Along with the 29 page report, the Brown campaign produced a copy of the deed for the first house Reagan bought, in 1941, which included a racially restrictive covenant. (L.A. Times, 9/15/66).
And I guess that's why South Carolina state senator would label a fellow Republican, Governor Nikki Haley, and President Barack Obama as "Ragh*ads".

S.C. Lawmaker Refers to Obama and Nikki Haley as "Ragh*ad"

Quote:
It has been quite a campaign for South Carolina Republican gubernatorial candidate Nikki Haley (pictured).

Haley, who has the backing of Sarah Palin, has faced two allegations of extramarital affairs in recent weeks - both of which she has vehemently denied. Now she is in the middle of a controversy involving one of her rivals, state Sen. Jake Knotts, who called her - along with President Obama - a "ragh*ad."

"We already got one ******* in the White House," Knotts said on an Internet political talk show last night, according to The State. "We don't need another in the Governor's Mansion."

Haley's parents are Indian immigrants, and she was raised as a Sikh before converting to become Methodist. Citing those who saw Knotts' comments, The State reports that he "talked at length about Haley's parents' religion and her family" on the show.
Let's not forget Virginia's 2006 senatorial contest and George Allen's "Mac*ca" moment.

The Mac*ca Heard Round the World

Quote:
No politician, let alone a rising star and presidential hopeful, wants to spend his time insisting that he's not a racist.

But this afternoon, Senator George Allen, R-VA -- running for re-election and entertaining presidential hopes for 2008 -- sat among 20 or so Indian Americans in a conference room at the Ritz Carlton in Tyson's Corner, VA, to show that he's not.

"It was a mistake, it was wrong, and it was hurtful to people," Allen said of remarks he'd made that the Indian Americans -- and other critics -- found racially offensive.

What he was referring to all started Friday in a southwestern corner of Virginia.

Speaking to supporters in a town called Breaks, Allen spotted a Democratic volunteer for his opponent's campaign.

He said to his audience: "This fellow here, over here with the yellow shirt. Mac*ca or whatever his name is. He's with my opponent, he's following us around everywhere."

The fellow was an Indian-American named S.R. Sidarth, a volunteer with the Senate campaign of Allen's Democratic opponent, former Secretary of the Navy James Webb. Sidarth had been carrying a DV camera hoping to catch Allen in a gaffe. It worked.

Allen continued: "So welcome, let's give a welcome to Macaca here. Welcome to America, and the real world of Virginia."

Sidarth later told ABC News that his first reaction was to be shocked, that he "couldn't believe that it happened initially, and then the second reaction was sort of 'What? I can't believe that he is using race in the political area.'"
One can only wonder where this country would be without all the "work" Conservatives have done over the years in the name of diversity and inclusiveness.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:31 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Ask Sarah Palin!

She's moving to a 'Bin Laden' style compound in Arizona. Wonder who her neighbors will be?

LOL

Old 06-10-2011, 12:36 PM

111 posts, read 97,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Ask Sarah Palin!

She's moving to a 'Bin Laden' style compound in Arizona. Wonder who her neighbors will be?

LOL
Don't know don't care this thread is about the hypocrisy of liberals who preach diversity. Has nothing to do with republicans or conservatives but as usual some of you will try to change the subject.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:36 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Yes it is, there is a ton of documentation of straight blacks being discriminated against when trying to move into certain areas of San Francisco. For a city that's supposed to be the liberal mecca shouldn't anyone be welcome anywhere? Try driving a vehicle that isn't seen by many to "green" through downtown SF on a work day evening and see how tolerant the natives become. Try putting a non-liberal bumper sticker on a car and park it around the city, see how long it takes for someone to try peeling it off.
I regularly drove an f350 through downtown SF (which wasn't easy,btw) because I was working with someone who lived right in the thick of the city. I never had a problem, not once.

Both 'sides' can be intolerant. I had a 'Darwin fish' torn off my car and 'Jesus saves' scrawled into my truck a few years back in my town. People are dicks sometimes regardless of affiliation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies