Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 02:05 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Funny! I know white people who don't know the difference between "you're" and "your"....or don't know "there" , "their", and "they're" are all different words.

I knew a white person who thought the wind chill temperature was "windshield" temperature.

I know a nationally prominent white person who puts the word "there" at the end of phrases...she is incapable of making a sentence, just random phrases...and makes up words like "refudiate" through sheer ignorance...

I know white people who think the old saying "It's a dog eat dog world" is "It's a doggy dog world"....

I know white people who think the word "denigrate" has something to do with people's color.

OK, I'm bored, got the picture??
While all of those examples are quite ignorant, none of them are mispronunciations of one of the most common three letter words in the English language. I believe that black Americans are just as capable of speaking correctly as anyone else, don't you?

Old 06-12-2011, 02:05 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
No one would consider it "highly controversial" to correct a white person when they mispronounce wash as "warsh."
nope, just "highly unnecessary"

Old 06-12-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
nope, just "highly unnecessary"
Uh oh, looks like we have someone who says "warsh."

If you don't mind, and I am not picking on you, just curious; why do you pronounce it that way, when you know that there is no "r" in the word? Thanks

Old 06-12-2011, 02:12 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,008,619 times
why anyone would tell anyone they pronounced a word wrong is beyond me. how arrogant to tell someone they mispronounced something. in school on the job if it matters is one thing but really who cares? there is a whole host of words that are mispronounced by all different kinds of people.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:39 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Wait a minute... "ain't", awful as it is, has been added to the dictionary

Definition of AIN'T

: am not : are not : is not

: have not : has not

: do not : does not : did not —used in some varieties of Black English

I'd draw the line at t'aint (circa Andy Griffith /goober and gomer): aw-shucks, t'aint nothin

Old 06-12-2011, 02:40 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,079 times
Quote:
Uh oh, looks like we have someone who says "warsh."

If you don't mind, and I am not picking on you, just curious; why do you pronounce it that way, when you know that there is no "r" in the word? Thanks
No, I don't. In fact, I've hardly even heard it before.

Sorry I can't solve the mystery for you.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
No, I don't. In fact, I've hardly even heard it before. Assumption fail.

Sorry I can't solve the mystery for you.
Oh well, bummer. I really wanna get to the bottom of this wash/warsh thing.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:09 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
While all of those examples are quite ignorant, none of them are mispronunciations of one of the most common three letter words in the English language. I believe that black Americans are just as capable of speaking correctly as anyone else, don't you?
John F. Kennedy pronounced "America", Americur", he pronounced "car', "cah"....WHO says "anyone else"(white people) all speak correctly????

My friend's cousin in New Jersey "changes the earl in his cah" every 3,000 miles.

I've heard white Minnesotans pronounce "year", yur".

Why do you insist black people must talk like white people??? Why is such a low standard YOUR standard???

Old 06-12-2011, 05:52 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,508 times
Quote:
But this is a very condescending and insulting mindset and borderline racist. Basically you're saying that black people are too stupid to pronounce a 3 letter word the proper way. It's not a native "dialect" any more than white people mispronouncing wash as "warsh" is. They are both equally ignorant and incorrect. To act as if it's okay is treating black people like they are incapable of speaking correctly. And what about the millions of black Americans who pronounce "ask" correctly, are they special? I believe everyone regardless of skin color can speak proper English and you should too.
I could not dissagree with you more. Most people speak in the dialect of their childhood upbringing, and that use (or misuse) of the language is reflective not of their intelligence or capability, but of their familial influence. That can, of course, change with the process of maturation, and or the process of becoming formally educated, but it is no way a "looking down" on those who were raised in a culturally different way.
My contention is that any divide between black and white Americans is a cultural divide, and not a racial one. I do not consider President Obama culturally different from the majority of educated caucasians, although he may well be culturally different from those people, black or white, who were raised in "closed" communities, whether those communities were inner city black, or Appalacian!

Old 06-12-2011, 05:58 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
John F. Kennedy pronounced "America", Americur", he pronounced "car', "cah"....WHO says "anyone else"(white people) all speak correctly????

My friend's cousin in New Jersey "changes the earl in his cah" every 3,000 miles.

I've heard white Minnesotans pronounce "year", yur".

Why do you insist black people must talk like white people??? Why is such a low standard YOUR standard???
Blacks, if they are to be taken seriously, must speak English well (unless they were born and raised in a non-English speaking country).

The same goes for whites.

Most whites aren't trying to insist that the different regional dialects are a completely separate language.

Some blacks are trying to push the idea that poor pronunciation and grammar is a legitimate alternative language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies