Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 08:39 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
However, White people mispronouncing words like "library" as "lye-berry" is acceptable
I have heard more blacks do that than whites.... And it's not acceptable coming from anyone.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
is there a way to tell this board to email me when someone quotes me?

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Linguistics is a different field from math entirely. The comparison doesn't hold.

In linguistics, there is such thing as a slip of the tongue (and even a slip of the hand in signed languages). That's a mispronunciation.

If someone regularly pronounces something differently, then it's not a mispronunciation--it's a dialect variation. For example if someone always says "ide-er" for "idea" then they aren't mispronouncing it, that is just the way they say it in their dialect. If someone always says "y'all" for "you all," that's also a dialect variation and not a mispronunciation because they say it that way pretty much every time, and consciously, intentionally make the sounds to produce that word.

A mispronunciation (or slip of the tongue) is when someone unintentionally and unconsciously pronounces something differently, that falls out of pattern with the predicted pronunciation for the dialect they are speaking, that happens once or only as often as we might accidentally say "battering avage" instead of "batting average".
Then what is the point of kids learning English in school?

If language allows for any word to be mispronounced - oops, I mean "willfully spoken in an alternative but equally legitimate manner" - then why are we wasting these kids time?

Let's just show them a word and tell them, "go ahead and make up your own pronunciation".

Just because a white person with a Southern accent is mispronouncing words and phrases like "you all" doesn't make it right either.

Perhaps we can start a thread about "white ebonics". Then all of the white people can feel victimized about that criticism too.

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I don't know what AAVE is.

It's not a phonological error...it's ignorant and they get it from their friends b/c they think it's cool.

Code switching...when I sit and listen to a black person speak for any length of time and he is speaking proper English, then I hear "ax" come out, that is not a code switching problem, nor is it a phonological error. It's ignorance. Anyone with even a high school education should know how to pronounce "ask." It's three letters, one syllable. Seriously.

I'm soooo sick of every time there is something negative pointed out about the black population, everyone who agrees or understands is automatically anti-black, racist, bigoted, etc.
So when I sit and listen to a White person (college educated) speak for a period of time and they say "lye-berry" instead of "library" and "y'all" is that also "ignorance"?

Why the double standard?

Old 06-13-2011, 08:47 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
It has absolutely nothing to do with the color of one's skin, dialects, laziness, or whether they were born in the US or not. This is a matter of diction and enunciation. Just as with writing, everyone needs to be taught how to properly pronounce or enunciate words, in any language. Unfortunately, public schools in the US no longer teach diction.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:54 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It has absolutely nothing to do with the color of one's skin, dialects, laziness, or whether they were born in the US or not. This is a matter of diction and enunciation. Just as with writing, everyone needs to be taught how to properly pronounce or enunciate words, in any language. Unfortunately, public schools in the US no longer teach diction.
Not only that but Black children saying /aks/ versus /ask/ is "officially" seen as acceptable dialect of AAVE (African American Vernacular English) so it is not corrected. I personally think that this stance by ASHA is incorrect and that these types of errors should be re-classified and targeted for correction.

A Black child who says "dis" insted of "this" may not have this error targeted for correction because it is deemed "acceptable" dialect under ASHA. This places these children at a disadvantage.

Speech Sound Disorders: Articulation and Phonological Processes

Old 06-13-2011, 08:55 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Then what is the point of kids learning English in school?

If language allows for any word to be mispronounced - oops, I mean "willfully spoken in an alternative but equally legitimate manner" - then why are we wasting these kids time?

Let's just show them a word and tell them, "go ahead and make up your own pronunciation".

Just because a white person with a Southern accent is mispronouncing words and phrases like "you all" doesn't make it right either.

Perhaps we can start a thread about "white ebonics". Then all of the white people can feel victimized about that criticism too.
Because some equally legitimate ways are socially stigmatized, and because we live in a socially defined world, it is important to be aware of social stigma. Saying "y'all" is linguistically as legitimate as saying "you all" or "you guys" but it's socially stigmatized in a lot of circles. So it's important to learn the standard "you all" to use in situations where you may be judged as less intelligent or less educated for saying "y'all." But at the same time, it's important to remember it's a matter of social stigma and not absolute right and wrong. There is no such thing as "right" and "wrong" from a scientific, linguistic point of view. "Right" and "wrong" are socially determined--where "right" is what is socially acceptable and "wrong" is what is socially stigmatized.

To make an analogy, saying "f.ck" isn't bad grammar but it sure will make a lot of heads turn. Is "f.ck" incorrect usage of the English language? No. Is it unwise usage in many social contexts? Yes. That's the difference.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:58 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
So when I sit and listen to a White person (college educated) speak for a period of time and they say "lye-berry" instead of "library" and "y'all" is that also "ignorance"?

Why the double standard?
The double standard is in your mind, and your mind alone. "Lye-berry" is ignorant. I still maintain my position that "y'all" is not. "Y'all" is also NOT exclusively a white term. Wanna reconsider your position now?

Old 06-13-2011, 09:00 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
It's ignorance. Anyone with even a high school education should know how to pronounce "ask." It's three letters, one syllable. Seriously.
How does anyone get 'Wenz-day' out of this mess: Wednesday?

Last edited by filihok; 06-13-2011 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: removed the extra 'i' that I inadvertently left in the quoted post

Old 06-13-2011, 09:01 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Thats right! among friends people can speak however they choose but in certain settings proper english/pronunciation is warranted! Like in job searches!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies