Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 01:12 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Right, because he's the one that didn't pass the bill raising the debt ceiling...
raising the debt ceiling isnt the answer

cutting spending is

when you reach your credit card max..do you cry for an increase in your limit...or do you start paying down not only the interest but the principal to get rid of the debt????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairousTheGreat View Post
Actually you can- You can max out all of your creditcards then declare bankruptcy and not have to pay back one cent. But you can keep all the goods and will have enjoyed all the vacations.

It is what many deadbeats have done with Second mortgages over the last 10 years.
That's not true. They can and will take some of your stuff to pay down your debt. You cannot file if they think you have spent needlessly in the six months prior to your filing or in the six months between filing and your discharge.

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
We shouldn't have to raise the debt ceiling. Obama and his Dem buddies need to stop spending already!
Of course!!! Just so long as it doesn't effect YOUR district in YOUR state and YOUR job, right?

Like I said, cut out the alternate F-35 Engine in Boehner's District. Close a military base in Cantor's district, remove oil subsidies for companies making record profits.....

Republicans show ANY give on their pet projects and I will begin to take them at their word that they are REALLY trying to do something about this and believe in the "shared sacrifice" that they've been touting...

Until then? No. Calling for scrapping Planned Parenthood and re-working Medicare in the fashion they are proposing tells me that they are just using this as an excuse to achieve their own political ends. Nothing more.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
WHERE WERE THE REPUBLICANS IN CONGRESS AND THE REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT WHEN THEY WERE SPENDING US INTO DEFICIT IN ECONOMICALLY DECENT TIMES!?

Christ on a cracker. I can't believe Republinuts are actually trying to rewrite this history.
It was a wartime. : smack:

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairousTheGreat View Post
There can be no defending of Republicans in saying they have done anything to cut Government spending.
Thank you.

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
raising the debt ceiling isnt the answer

cutting spending is

when you reach your credit card max..do you cry for an increase in your limit...or do you start paying down not only the interest but the principal to get rid of the debt????
It is a FACT.

The debt ceiling WILL be raised if the Dems bow down to the partisan cuts proposed by the Republicans.

Do you understand? The debt ceiling is going to be raised regardless. It HAS to be....

To compare our national debt to a flippin' credit card shows how little you understand about the repercussions here....

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Yes... yes there was a budget surplus. There was still a debt, but there was a budget surplus. Please educate yourself.
NO THERE WASNT. Why dont YOU educate yourself..

The national debt climbed EVERY SINGLE YEAR since 1957

Debt to the Penny (Daily History Search Application)
Quote:
Did I say deficit spending caused the financial crisis? No. Not at all.... and I don't believe it for a second.
You said we were spending ourself into deficits, while defending the current spending outself into deficits..
Quote:
What did I say? I said that we were already in budget deficit, contributing to the national debt substantially, when the financial crisis started and we started to have to spend money to help muzzle the crisis (whether I agree or disagree on how they spent the money is a completely different matter).
And how we spent the deficits were 1/5th what we are spending now. Where is your outrage?
Quote:
Now...we started with a deficit that we had to add on to as a result of the financial crisis. That means the deficit is BIGGER than if we had a surplus and subtracted from that.
the deficits are bigger than would have been if we werent spending, true.. Tell me why you arent outraged over the spending going on? Do you understand the difference between $300B in deficits, vs $1.5T?
Quote:
If you don't understand that, I highly suggest you go back and take some grade school math classes.
As soon as you take an accounting course which equates more debt do not equal surpluses.. Again, take it up with the US Treasury office who says there wasnt a surplus.. Link above..

Old 06-10-2011, 01:15 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
This is what I get when I click on your link:
Quote:
403 Forbidden
Please stop referer spam.

We have identified that you have been refered here by a known or supposed spammer.

If you feel this is an error, please bypass this message and leave us a comment about the error. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you are actually doing referer spam, please note that this website/b2evolution no longer records and publishes referers. Not even legitimate ones! While we understand it was fun for you guys while it lasted, please understand our servers cannot take the load of all this cumulated spam any longer... Thank you.

Also, please note that comment/trackback submitted URLs will be tagged with rel="nofollow" in order to be ignored by search engines.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:16 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
It was a wartime. : smack:
Great. Which clearly means you should cut taxes which no other congress/administration has done during wartime. That's not to even mention the fact that we shouldn't have even been there in the first place.

...and if you believe cutting taxes helped pay for the war, then I have a mountain ski resort in Florida I want to sell you.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Of course!!! Just so long as it doesn't effect YOUR district in YOUR state and YOUR job, right?

Like I said, cut out the alternate F-35 Engine in Boehner's District. Close a military base in Cantor's district, remove oil subsidies for companies making record profits.....

Republicans show ANY give on their pet projects and I will begin to take them at their word that they are REALLY trying to do something about this and believe in the "shared sacrifice" that they've been touting...

Until then? No. Calling for scrapping Planned Parenthood and re-working Medicare in the fashion they are proposing tells me that they are just using this as an excuse to achieve their own political ends. Nothing more.
I don't care if it affects me, it needs to be done. Just like when my household spends too much, we have to cut back. It's hard, but we either work more hours or figure out where we can cut spending. I'd much rather it affect me than have it affect our child down the road, it will be much worse for her than for us to suck it up right now.

I have no problem with the things you mentioned...but start there and KEEP GOING.

Medicare does need to be addressed, as does SS.... The issue with PP is not a fiscal one, it's a moral one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies