Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 03:40 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollymixture View Post
It's what the Irish themselves are doing on St. Pat's day, so I wouldn't worry
Well shoot... NOW we do, sure....

While being stereotyped as a people that live to drink themselves under the table might be insulting. It isn't NEAR as insulting as having NON-Irishman thinking they can drink more than we can....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 03:41 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Are you seriously and I really want to know,saying that blacks and gays have equality in this country? I believe that you want to bury this fact because you feel your advantage is deserved. Is that correct? Why do you always feel so strongly about issues that involve black people? Do you agree with MLK Jr. day?
He's not arguing against equality.

I don't know about him, but I personally agree with MLK day. He was a great American hero. The day is dedicated to him, not his blackness.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Well maybe there would be no need for Black Hisotry Month, Latino History Month or Asian History Month if White Americans didn't spend so much time denigrating the contributions of other groups or even denying the contributions of other groups. The right of other groups of people to commemorate their historical legacies would be needed IF THOSE HISTORICAL LEGACIES WEREN'T IGNORED OR DENIGRATED BY MANY WHITE AMERICANS FIRST!
I honor any hero or contributor individually, regardless of race. We don't need a month dedicated to a race, including the white race.

Quote:
The reality is most educational cirriculums in grades K-12 don't give the average American child near the historical insights of the contributions of non-White Americans.
If that's the case then that needs to change. Although I remember we did spend quite some time during black history month when I was in school.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Give me a break. Disagreeing with your words isn't equivalent to a personal attack.

You said black people "shouldn't want or need" a black pride parade or month. But what if some of them do? They have a right to do it, just as you have a right to organize a parade of your own. If you don't like it, no one's forcing you to participate in it.
They do have a right to it, the point he (and I) are making is that it shouldn't be backed by the government, and it shouldn't get any type of special treatment. Anybody has the right to assemble for whatever cause or group they want, but the government should be 100% colorblind.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:47 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
They do have a right to it, the point he (and I) are making is that it shouldn't be backed by the government, and it shouldn't get any type of special treatment. Anybody has the right to assemble for whatever cause or group they want, but the government should be 100% colorblind.
I do agree with that, but my impression is that his anger has less to do with governmental involvement than it does with the fact that these groups are organizing events at all.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:50 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,241 times
Quote:
Well maybe there would be no need for Black Hisotry Month, Latino History Month or Asian History Month if White Americans didn't spend so much time denigrating the contributions of other groups or even denying the contributions of other groups. The right of other groups of people to commemorate their historical legacies would be needed IF THOSE HISTORICAL LEGACIES WEREN'T IGNORED OR DENIGRATED BY MANY WHITE AMERICANS FIRST!

The reality is most educational cirriculums in grades K-12 don't give the average American child near the historical insights of the contributions of non-White Americans.
<Deep Breath.....> (Okay here I go... Though I know I'm going to get a message-board walloping for this....).

I don't think Americans (read WHITE Americans) go out of their way to denigrate the contributions of blacks in this country quite honestly...

I mean one of the big "contributors" that we hear about ad nauseum during "Black History Month" is George Washington Carver. I mean hey, the guy probably ranks up there with a Thomas Edison or Cyrus McCormick maybe, but you'd think Carver was the black Thomas Jefferson or Abe Lincoln the way we're all required to hear about him....

Kind of like Crispus Attucks too..... Hey... Dude was standing in the wrong place. Not much more to it than that, ya know? Yet we ALL have to know his name.... Anyone know the "first person to die" in any of our other wars? Any other name we have to know on that front? No....

I think its just gone overboard. Yes, blacks have contributed greatly to American society and it can be said that a portion of American society was built on the very BACK of blacks.... Lets recognize THAT. I don't have a problem acknowledging that. But to prop up some of these people on pedastals reaching far greater heights than the true contribution just seems crazy to me....

Old 06-12-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I do agree with that, but my impression is that his anger has less to do with governmental involvement than it does with the fact that these groups are organizing events at all.
That's what it may seem like on the surface, and I can't speak for anyone else, but I agree with the OP because this kind of stuff only serves to further separate people. If people want a truly colorblind society, why don't we just have an American history month where we acknowledge Americans of all races?

It's not productive. Now of course private individuals are free to assemble and form anything they want (even if they are counter-productive to a colorblind society), but these groups, months, or whatever, shouldn't be government sanctioned.

Also, if you're going to form a group based on race, then you can't get mad when people question it. You are specifically separating yourself from everyone else and then demanding that everyone else be colorblind.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:01 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,376,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Let's take gay pride month for instance, the homosexual community cries non stop about wanting to be seen as normal and to be treated just like everyone else BUT they will attack you if you even mention something about no liking or respecting gay pride month. Black people claim to want equal rights (which they've had for decades) and want to be treated like everyone else but they will riot if you talk bad about black pride month. This could be said for any group that claims to want equal rights or anything like that.

If you want to be treated like you're "normal" or just like "everyone else" then wouldn't it be smart to eliminate specific holidays or months that do nothing but bring attention to the fact that you believe you're special or different from other people?
Are you pissed that there isn't an "Ignorant Bigots" month?

Don't worry, that's celebrated 365 days a year by some people.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:04 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,376,260 times
Quote:
I'm having the same reaction. I'm wondering what the OP believes blacks and gays have done to him that has resulted in so much anger and bitterness.
They exist.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Are you pissed that there isn't an "Ignorant Bigots" month?

Don't worry, that's celebrated 365 days a year by some people.
What are you trying to prove? Do you have anything to actually show the the OP is an ignorant bigot? Do you care to talk about the issue he raised, or just come in here and toss around a couple insults and then leave?

If you have nothing to add, then don't add anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies