Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:21 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
One of the theories of the Howards University students' celebration of the OJ verdict was that they were elated that a black man got a fair trial. So I have previously heard what you suggest. As for your This is what I feel when someone says "OJ is guilty". I think "Do you really know that for a fact, or it is a race issue"?, well there is a rather large third option. And that is the evidence was pretty overwhelming that OJ was guilty, regardless of his race. Only OJ knows for absolute certainty whether or not he is guilty, but in our legal system many people have been convicted with less condemning evidence. As I said, the social consensus was at the time, and remains to this day, that OJ is guilty.

In my opinion, the support by blacks of OJ during the opening stages of the trial was an example of nieve racial allegiance early on, and an example of sadly misplaced racial allegiance as the evidence mounted. Over 15 years have passed since the trial and hopefully the mentality of supporting a likely murderer simply because he is of your race is a mentality that is falling by the wayside. The day can't come soon enough.
Maybe it was racial allegiance, but I can't but wonder if it was "hope against all hope" kind of thinking. Personally, I feel that the justice system is biased, always has been, and the way things have worked, it's often "money talks".

Personally, I'm kind of cynical about race relations in the USA. Many people are going to have allegiances to their own race because of history. I feel that because of the history, the day you speak of will be a long way off. It isn't just Blacks who do this. Whites have done this too.

As for the guilt observation, I've been trying to avoid talking about OJ in public because it is a polarizing issue. I try to stay out of it because I was young, didn't know much about it, wasn't interested. Sometimes a person wonders "are you saying this because it is true, or because you have a negative view of Blacks". Part of being Black in American, in my eyes, is having to know what other people think about you, because that is partially about survival.
Because of the history of this nation, racial polarization continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 07:27 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,347,531 times
Default Do white folks really "stick together"?

Yes with a secret handshake and all

Old 06-26-2011, 07:31 PM

313 posts, read 450,394 times
I don't think white folks stick together any more than blacks stick together (in fact, it is even more so with them), or Hispanics, or Asians.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:40 PM

313 posts, read 450,394 times
I don't think white folks stick together any more than blacks stick together (in fact, it is even more so with them), or Hispanics, or Asians.

I have a couple of black co-workers, myself, and about the only time that they may draw criticism is when they start holding up the race card, as has been demonstrated a few times. Never mind that whatever upset them were the same damn types of issues that have always involved whites as well.

Now, my daughter had a friend whose father was black and they lived in a white community in the burbs. The girl was confident and had initiative and knew how to make friends and have a good time. She married a white man and still has only white friends. This is what she knew growing up and it's what she was comfortable with.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:42 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,653,238 times
White sticks together the least compared to other races.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:56 PM

82 posts, read 90,606 times
It strikes me that the purest laboratory for this question is prison.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:14 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRavenSpeaks View Post
It strikes me that the purest laboratory for this question is prison.
Possibly. Though that raises the question whether people who are in prison, particularly those who would strongly want to become part of a clique based on color, and not just due to duress, represent statistically normal people. Perhaps those predisposed to more serious crime might be more cliquish than the average person, perhaps explaining why some of them are part of gangs, and so using them to get data might not be representative of the average person. Not sure, just a possibility to consider.

Before I saw your comment, I was thinking to myself of another possible experiment. I'm sure some university, somewhere, with money burning a hole in its sociology department could swing this...... get together 50 black people, 50 white people (or a relatively even split, it need not be equal, lest that seem suspicious), none of whom know each other (I was thinking of culling them from random corporation office environments, from many different companies), and then sticking them all together in the same room under some pretext that doesn't give away what the purpose of the experiment is. Have the ceiling wired with cameras, and then just observe and generate computer models showing the movements of all the white people and all the black people, and observe how they congregate as time progresses. See how many subgroups they break off into, which groups are mixed, what the size of the different groups are, which groups are mainly one color, etc... The participants should probably be strangers, so as to not taint the data. If certain people know each other ahead of time, they'll be inclined to pair up, regardless of what color they are, which will ruin the results.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:19 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,950,821 times
If white people don't stick together, as the majority of (white) respondents to this thread have been stating...didn't it take a certain amount of "sticking together" to create organizations such as NATO, The European Union, The G8, and numerous other white national and international organizations or groups?

If white people don't "stick together", why are there still all white country clubs, swim clubs, resort campgrounds, etc. If white people don't stick together, why does the U.S. Justice Department continue to find police, fire departments around around the count guilty of unfairly administering biased, tests to prevent blacks and the poor people from being hired?

Those who continue to insist white people don't stick together are either in serious denial or intentionally being untruthful.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:01 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
If white people don't stick together, as the majority of (white) respondents to this thread have been stating...didn't it take a certain amount of "sticking together" to create organizations such as NATO, The European Union, The G8, and numerous other white national and international organizations or groups?

If white people don't "stick together", why are there still all white country clubs, swim clubs, resort campgrounds, etc.

If white people don't stick together, why does the U.S. Justice Department continue to find police, fire departments around around the count guilty of unfairly administering biased, tests to prevent blacks and the poor people from being hired?

I was with you right until that bolded part about the racist tests. Of course I've heard all about these racists tests before, but before we proceed with mocking the idea of a test being "racist," I thought you could offer your view of what makes these tests white racist plots. Discuss. In the meantime, I think I'll discuss.

Here is just one, of I am sure many, city-data threads for people to enjoy about these racist tests: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...sm-police.html

http://media.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impact/other/cops.pdf

^^^^ Here is the "money shot" from the above court documents, I'll save you all the reading.... this is what the secret white racist plot is all about..., and I quote the court documents,

"... 14. For the entire period between 2000 and 2008, approximately 89 percent of white candidates who took the written examination passed the examination, while only approximately 73 percent of African-American candidates passed the examination. This difference between the pass rate of African-American candidates and that of white candidates is statistically significant.

16. For the entire period between 2000 and 2008, approximately 89 percent of white candidates who took the written examination passed the examination, while only approximately 77 percent of Hispanic candidates passed the examination. This difference between the pass rate of Hispanic candidates and that of white candidates is statistically significant."

18. Because the NJCSC ranks candidates to Police Sergeant on eligibility lists based upon the candidates combined written examination score and seniority credits, and certifies candidates in descending rank-order from the eligibility lists, many candidates who pass the written examination do not rank high enough to be certified or promoted.

19. Among candidates who passed the NJCSC Police Sergeant written examination, African-Americans were under-represented in the higher score ranges and over-represented in the lower score ranges for reach year between 2000 and 2008. Thus for each administration of the examination between 2000 and 2008, the mean written examination scores of African-American candidates was statistically significantly lower than the mean written examination score of white candidates..."

And then it just repeats the same thing with Hispanic candidates, and at no point does the government actually make any real substantive argument... so they simply conclude with a prayer that they will get the ear of a sympathetic judge, and so the suit continues, and I quote:

"WHEREFORE, the United States prays for an order enjoining the defendants, the State of New Jersey, and the New Jersey Civil Service Commission, and their officers, agents, employees, successors, and all persons in active concert or participation with them from engaging in employment practices which discriminate against African-Americans on the basis of race, and Hispanics on the basis of national origin in violation of Title VII....."

So that's your government, folks.... a test is a blatant violation of Title VII, and is an institutionally racist act of discrimination.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 06-26-2011 at 09:17 PM..

Old 06-26-2011, 09:09 PM

785 posts, read 619,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Oh really, you know what white folks think? WOW......that's amazing.

IS that what whites think OR is that what you think whites think?
EXCELLENT come back Ron! That poster is so brainwashed by her far left politics that she doesn't even realize how stereotypical her post is. Way to call her on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies