Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:46 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times

Advertisements

Every time I'm out and about I never see mixed groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 10:48 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
same reason black folks do. . . . .one tends to stay within one's "comfort level", regardless of race.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:58 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
same reason black folks do. . . . .one tends to stay within one's "comfort level", regardless of race.
Did you read the question? I don't think you did.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:05 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Did you read the question? I don't think you did.
Obviously not.

To answer the original question, no, white people do not stick together on average as much as other races, due to the simple fact that they are the majority, so they are automatically "among their own" without having to go out of their way to associate with each other. They have less motivation to form a smaller and more cohesive group.

I would say it's mostly cultural though, not really racial.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:23 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Obviously not.

To answer the original question, no, white people do not stick together on average as much as other races, due to the simple fact that they are the majority, so they are automatically "among their own" without having to go out of their way to associate with each other. They have less motivation to form a smaller and more cohesive group.

I would say it's mostly cultural though, not really racial.
I don't think "other groips" stick together........it always seems that way when you're on trhe outside looking in.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I don't think "other groips" stick together........it always seems that way when you're on trhe outside looking in.
Forget about race for a second. Think about it, when you are dropped into a situation with a bunch of people you don't know, don't you gravitate toward people that share common traits with you? Not necessarily race, but anything. They could be wearing a shirt with a picture of your hero on it, it could be anything. Obviously you will be more likely to communicate with those who you have more in common with, that's just human nature.

Race is only such an obvious divider in these situations because it is a trait that is very easy to identify.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:05 PM

257 posts, read 1,058,432 times
I do believe that whites and other groups "stick together" in the sense that they want to see the advancement of their group and are willing to act accordingly.

It is extremely naive for a Black person to think that they are not being judged against a stereotype, or that strangers opinions don't matter. Hello, the Black community (and I use that term loosely) is not independent in any way, and is not willing to do what it takes to become so. What businesses do Blacks own? What media do Blacks control? Can all your life's needs be met in the Black community? Exactly. So hell yes what White people think matters when White people are the ones feeding you.

And yes, the actions of one or two people can absolutely be held against that entire group. Just ask any Muslim person.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:22 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
When I say "represent", I mean to put one's best foot forward and I do that every single day because that is how I was taught to move throughout the world.

And whether or not you know it (understand it, accept it), you are judged against the stereotypes that are deeply engrained about Black people.
I would say you are judged more by the company you keep.
Personally I don't know why people like to be with other people. I'd rather be with animals. Most peope disgust me.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:25 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Forget about race for a second. Think about it, when you are dropped into a situation with a bunch of people you don't know, don't you gravitate toward people that share common traits with you? Not necessarily race, but anything. They could be wearing a shirt with a picture of your hero on it, it could be anything. Obviously you will be more likely to communicate with those who you have more in common with, that's just human nature.

Race is only such an obvious divider in these situations because it is a trait that is very easy to identify.
Let's say I'm on a jury of all different kinds of people, I will probably hang with the smokers.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Let's say I'm on a jury of all different kinds of people, I will probably hang with the smokers.
Same here, every job I've ever worked at the first people I talked to were the smokers. Of course that has a practical aspect to it, which the other traits may not, but it is partly the same. You share a common hobby.

It can be the smallest of things, but people gravitate towards their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies