Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 09:26 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
PLs. Read my posts , I said nothing about riding on the interstate roads ( I know that horses are not allowed there, but they are allowed on the city and country roads) , nor did i say anything about going into the white House! Yours and my laws clearly state our right to travel on public roads not my logic but the Law. Change the constitution!.
But the White House is public property, just like roads. I should be able to walk in any time I want. For that matter, any public-owned land or building should be open territory to whomever wants to roam them at any time.

Can I travel the roads of a military base? They are publicly funded/owned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 09:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Some might not like that thinking "BUT" that's the Law that every one is talking about and saying the Amish should obey. There is no action for a court to be hearing if there is no Verified complaint , under stand what "YOURS" and their rights are and drive cautiously, if it is your choice to drive a high speed vehicle on public roads. Take responsibility for your actions. And a better Pro-Active approach would be for the "GOVERNMENT" to limit the size of the engines in those vehicles and the top speed those vehicles we all drive can go so it would be safer for everyone out there no matter what type of vehicle you were driving. In other words everyone just slow down.
Even at a 35 mph speed limit, I think the horse and buggy would be at a disadvantage. It would be far more simple for the Amish to comply with something to identify their vehicles. If they really have an issue with the triangle, perhaps a different shape could be chosen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Yep....she was "dead right".
Something I learned in my first days in driver's ed.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Both sides in this issue are just too stubborn and hardheaded to give a little and so the loser is the taxpayers.
Nobody on earth as stubborn as my Uncle Levi. Who put the triangle on the back of his buggy because he's seen the English drive and he values his family and his horses.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:03 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Prosecutor presses to enforce fines against Amish - GreenwichTime (http://www.greenwichtime.com/news/article/Prosecutor-presses-to-enforce-fines-against-Amish-1416815.php - broken link)

Personally, they should go to jail if they can't put on the orange triangle on their buggies. I find it funny that the safety triangles are "too worldly", but they have zero problems traveling on our paved roads. Wouldn't pavement be too worldly? Good to see the ACLU is involved.
Just wait until they refuse to pay the fine and go to jail. I don't agree with the Amish on this one but I know their mindset. They will probably refuse to pay and Martyrdom is what they want

Last edited by Boompa; 06-12-2011 at 03:15 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 03:43 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
RE Read the article , the car came across the highway and struck the horse and girl ,would an orange triangle have saved her life?

Last edited by Fighter 1; 06-12-2011 at 04:27 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Even at a 35 mph speed limit, I think the horse and buggy would be at a disadvantage. It would be far more simple for the Amish to comply with something to identify their vehicles. If they really have an issue with the triangle, perhaps a different shape could be chosen.

Something I learned in my first days in driver's ed.
Having lived around the Lancaster, PA Amish for 6 yrs. I sure they would also opt for the "simple resolution" to this problem and have every one go back to the buggies
Think of the money we all would save, Taxes , registrations , insurance and gas. Now that something to work towards.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:43 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
If you give in to the Amish you have set a precedent you will have to live with. Are you ready to allow Sharia Law?

Old 06-12-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
If you give in to the Amish you have set a precedent you will have to live with. Are you ready to allow Sharia Law?
Who's giving in ??? they have rights too , just like you and I , but most of us are too lazy to learn what they are or demand them from our elected officials.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:11 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
RE Read the article , the car came across the highway and struck the horse and girl ,would an orange triangle have saved her life?
Where did I say it would have????

Look at the post this was in response to.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:37 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
Since I do live 20 miles from the area in question, I do find it interesting that I have seen Amish folks in local stores there. Wouldn't purchasing items from a store be "worldly"? I guess it's okay to buy a Spongebob Square Pants bean bag chair from Big Lots, but an orange safety triangle...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies