Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:27 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
The number one crop is wheat in Kansas. What's your point? Cattle, corn, soybeans, wheat and hogs are the biggest agricultural products in Kansas.

The eastern third of Kansas has been identified as a potential gas field for fracking. Good luck with that old man!
I guess you agree with the Agenda 21 program even without knowing what it is. Maybe you should see what they have suggested for the way to live in the US and maybe you would be very glad to support it. Of course, you may not like the rack 'em and stack 'em plan that is so much of the program.

Hey, there is more cotton grown in Kansas every year and with the price of cotton now there may be more. Of course, cotton is very hard on the soil. Also, there is another grain being grown more and more and that would be canola.

Do you have any idea how much maize is grown here? Of course, that stuff has to be used to feed cattle since corn is the favorite for the non-oil part of gasoline.

You have been reading quite a bit about the Great Plains, it seems, but how recent was the stuff you read?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
AFAIK sea based wind mills are twice the cost of land based ones that are already an expensive form of energy. We can make electric with coal for about 5 cents/kWh wholesale all costs inclusive. In comparison even after all the subsidies the new offshore wind farm in Massachusetts that made the news a few months back has contract for 22 cents/kWh with a 3.5% increase each year.

I think a lot of people are under the impression renewable forms of energy are close to being competitive but the simple fact is they have a very long way to go.

Few of these environmentalists (tree huggers) have any idea what you are saying. If Obama says it is green it will be fine with them. I have been in favor of wind power for some time but the thing that holds me back is the lack of transmission lines. Kansas could generate a high amount of electricity from the more expensive source but there aren't any lines to transmit the power.

These people just don't have any idea how much all that green electricity will cost them when Obama gets coal shut down. They have no idea how this part of green will work and they really don't know how expensive solar will be.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:38 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Nuclear power plants never killed an eagle.
"Original estimates of xenon and krypton releases remain the same, but a TEPCO recalculation shows dramatic increases in the release of hot particles. This confirms the results of air filter monitoring by independent scientists. Fairewinds' Arnie Gundersen explains how hot particles may react in mammals while escaping traditional detection. Reports of a metallic taste in the mouth, such as those now being reported in Japan and on the west coast, are a telltale sign of radiation exposure."

Hot Particles From Japan to Seattle Virtually Undetectable when Inhaled or Swallowed on Vimeo

Old 06-13-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Once again I really have to wonder about the LA Times, they seem to have fallen off the right end. I can't see how anything on one of those windmills is going to endanger anything as slow as they move. An Eagle near LA would be more likely to die of a respirartory disease
They tend to use much shorter blades so have to have them move much faster in California. Here the blades are about 65 feet long so they don't have to move very fast to generate as much electricity. No noise and only a few birds that manage to fly into the slow moving blades. I think most of those birds would have flown into the sides of barns, silos and grain elevators.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:27 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess you agree with the Agenda 21 program even without knowing what it is. Maybe you should see what they have suggested for the way to live in the US and maybe you would be very glad to support it. Of course, you may not like the rack 'em and stack 'em plan that is so much of the program.

Hey, there is more cotton grown in Kansas every year and with the price of cotton now there may be more. Of course, cotton is very hard on the soil. Also, there is another grain being grown more and more and that would be canola.

Do you have any idea how much maize is grown here? Of course, that stuff has to be used to feed cattle since corn is the favorite for the non-oil part of gasoline.

You have been reading quite a bit about the Great Plains, it seems, but how recent was the stuff you read?
Canola? LOL who the hell cares. We need less vegetable entering into our food supply. Cows are ruminants they are supposed to eat grass not corn. Corn and soy should be outlawed. Tear down the maize and grow pasture. Screw corn! 90% of it is GMO anyways. There is a revolution going on int his country old man and people like you are far far behind it. My generation knows how corrupt, vile, and despicable modern agricultural practices are. I could care less about feeding the world. My priorities lie with providing high quality nutritious food for my country and my kids.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Because, roysoldboy, we're all connected. People should first stop separating humans from everything else in the world. Animals benefit humans in more ways than most take time to contemplate. Ecosystems and the plants and animals in a particular ecosytem fluxuate between a safe upper and lower boundary. When something happens that throws that fluxuation out of balance it is like a ripple effect throughout the ecyosystem and we all suffer.

Try living without roaches, black flies, or bacteria. Garbage would pile up on humans as there would be nothing to break down the waste.

See what happens in the oceans if plankton or krill disappears.

What happens when a predator species (and I'm talking four legged not the two legged human kind) disappear? The prey species over populates until the ecosytem is pushed to a point of collaspe.

And you people who are laughing about this problem that must be resolved are birdbrains. Who would be so stupid to laugh about this? That is what it is you know, stupidity and ignorance.
Can you tell me what reason there is to have the deer population most states have? That costs Kansas drivers all kinds of insurance money and also makes more money for undertakers than you could ever imagine. You exhibit real stupidity when you want all those animals to live off humans like the deer do. Not too many years ago a local rancher had his friend from Alabama fly over one of his maize fields and they counted 250 deer in that one field. It is very common to see that many grazing in those fields as if they belonged to them. I know that many of you people who think deer are so pretty really can't understand why most people in Kansas would like to see them thinned out.

Have you ever seen an antelope jump a fence? Don't hold your breath because they don't jump. Nope they slide on their knees under barbed wire fences using their horns to keep from getting scratched. That doesn't do a lot of good for that bottom wire. There were no antelopes in any of Kansas when I was in high school other than the northwest corner but today there are some large herds of them here in south central Kansas.

Since we didn't have those animals in much of the state 50 years ago I think it time for tree huggers who the animals don't cost money other than insurance to get real about those animals.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:34 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Birds, particularly large birds like it where it's windy. They ride the thermal rise coming off the slopes of cliffs and hills just like someone in a hand glider, this is also ideal place for a wind mill. I know where I live they place them on the very tops of the hills which is exactly where you'll find soaring eagles, hawks etc.
There must be major philosophical differences between US and European wind turbine companies. The European conventional wisdom is that cliffs and hilltops are horrible places, although they look attractive at first view. You want the cleanest possible airflow, not a sh.tload of turbulence and thermals. IOW, place the turbines on flat land or - better - ocean.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
People watching TV, playing video games, using air conditioning, cell phones, the Internet, etc. are killing eagles...
Try living here without air conditioning!!! I did it for the first 35 years of my life and have become so used to being comfortable that I just don't want to go back just because a few birds get killed every year. The day is coming when people will no longer be living on the great plains and it will once again be a game preserve. I sure hope the wild animals enjoy it. I am referring to the plans for the US and where they people will be moved to. Agenda 21 is surely supported by many people high up in our government and they don't really give much thought to how people will eat when they take away the areas that really feed so many people

Old 06-13-2011, 12:40 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Can you tell me what reason there is to have the deer population most states have? That costs Kansas drivers all kinds of insurance money and also makes more money for undertakers than you could ever imagine. You exhibit real stupidity when you want all those animals to live off humans like the deer do. Not too many years ago a local rancher had his friend from Alabama fly over one of his maize fields and they counted 250 deer in that one field. It is very common to see that many grazing in those fields as if they belonged to them. I know that many of you people who think deer are so pretty really can't understand why most people in Kansas would like to see them thinned out.

Have you ever seen an antelope jump a fence? Don't hold your breath because they don't jump. Nope they slide on their knees under barbed wire fences using their horns to keep from getting scratched. That doesn't do a lot of good for that bottom wire. There were no antelopes in any of Kansas when I was in high school other than the northwest corner but today there are some large herds of them here in south central Kansas.

Since we didn't have those animals in much of the state 50 years ago I think it time for tree huggers who the animals don't cost money other than insurance to get real about those animals.
You didn't have em 50 years ago because they were wiped out and prairie was turned into farmland. Duh!!!!!!!! Antelope are probably natural to Kansas. I lived in CO for 7 years and saw them jump fences all the time.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:42 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Canola? LOL who the hell cares. We need less vegetable entering into our food supply. Cows are ruminants they are supposed to eat grass not corn. Corn and soy should be outlawed. Tear down the maize and grow pasture. Screw corn! 90% of it is GMO anyways. There is a revolution going on int his country old man and people like you are far far behind it. My generation knows how corrupt, vile, and despicable modern agricultural practices are. I could care less about feeding the world. My priorities lie with providing high quality nutritious food for my country and my kids.

Technically, though, a friend of mine in Kansas, who raises perennial corn, told me that corn is a grass, with large seed.

All Hail Monsanto!

It sounds so Japanese.

Kamikaze Korn is Fascist Corn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies