Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:27 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Even if this was all pure fantasy on the part of us business owners, the fact still remains that uncertainty is a huge part of the problem.

Are you going to deny that there is uncertainty in this economy with the massive growth of government being pushed by the current administration?
What "massive growth"? Obamacare, the majority of which doesn't kick in until 2014, with tax credits for small businesses to provide health insurance? What else?

Uncertainty, I can buy. The economy is uncertain if it's anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 10:30 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,253,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Wow, it doesn't get better than this. We are trying to drill it into the thick skulls of those on this thread that uncertainty is always there for business. For government to add to that uncertainty is unnecessary and inefficient. In the aggregate, it will cause business owners to scale down and give some time off to their employees.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:33 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,001,245 times
Quote:
Please provide a link for your diatribe, with dates these taxes were enacted, and dates when they go into effect. It looks like a cut and paste to me, with the source left off for some reason.

Please specify which unfunded mandates you're talking about.

Please show the decline in the value of the dollar since Obama took office.

Please show specifics about "skyrocketing" commodities, and explain what "others" you are talking about.
Those are the tax increases just in the healthcare bill. For liberals, who proclaim to know so much about the laws passed, you guys all of a sudden play ignorance when someone actually lists them for you.

As for the list of unfunded mandates, in 2010, there were 64 bills which included unfunded mandates, including the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Public Law 111-148) and the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 (Public Law 111-296). are two such examples, and in 2010, there were 85 bills passed by Congress that included private sector mandates..

My lists come right from the CBO, dont like it, take it up with them
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/121xx/doc...03-31-UMRA.pdf

As for your denial that the value of the dollar is not declining, I find this ridiculous for anyone to proclaim that increased debts, deficits, printing more and more money, would have absolutley no affect on the value of the dollar
Again, right to the governments own reports for verification
The Long Goodbye: The Declining Purchasing Power of the Dollar (http://www.aier.org/research/briefs/1826-the-long-goodbye-the-declining-purchasing-power-of-the-dollar - broken link)
http://www.aier.org/images/stories/charts_small/ppd_sm.png (broken link)
And commodities are indeed through the roof
http://www.prisonplanet.com/rampant-...ore-money.html
*Agricultural Raw Materials: 24%
*Industrial Inputs Index: 25%
*Metals Price Index: 26%
*Coffee: 45%
*Barley: 32%
*Oranges: 35%
*Beef: 23%
*Pork: 68%
*Salmon: 30%
*Sugar: 24%
*Wool: 20%
*Cotton: 40%
*Palm Oil: 26%
*Hides: 25%
*Rubber: 62%
*Iron Ore: 103%

Last edited by pghquest; 06-12-2011 at 10:45 AM..

Old 06-12-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
What "massive growth"?
The size of the federal government has DOUBLED over the last 10 years.
Quote:
Obamacare, the majority of which doesn't kick in until 2014, with tax credits for small businesses to provide health insurance? What else?
You dont even understand Obamacare because it doesnt provide tax credits to small businesses, its a tax INCREASE, which then subsidides others.. If my tax goes up, so I can fund your "subsidy", this doesnt mean my taxes drop.

How the hell do you think Obamacare = a "surplus" to the federal government because thats IMPOSSIBLE, without tax increases..
Quote:
Uncertainty currently is being caused by government

Old 06-12-2011, 10:44 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,286,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
This is why Obama's recovery is failing !
It's bullsh*t, for one it hasn't stop the largest corporations in the world from investing billions of dollars in low wage high growth emerging market countries.

Second the current presidential administration has set out to considerabley reduce and streamline government regulation.

Streamlining Regulation Government: Agencies offer plans for cutting costs, paperwork for businesses

Quote:
The White House this week unveiled plans from 30 government agencies to cut the cost and paperwork needed to comply with federal regulations.

The plans are in response to President Barack Obama’s January directive to agencies to weed out outdated regulations and ensure that those on the books promote economic growth and job creation while protecting public health and welfare (C&EN, Jan. 24, page 10).

Cass R. Sunstein, Obama’s regulatory gatekeeper, says this first round of reforms will save hundreds of millions of dollars in annual compliance costs and tens of millions of hours in reporting burdens. The changes could ring up billions of dollars in savings for U.S. businesses in coming years, he adds.

Major themes in the plans are scaling back or eliminating government paperwork that businesses must fill out and switching from paper to electronic reporting.
Obama Orders FDA To Streamline Medical Tech Regulations

Third if any businessperson decides to drop medical insurance for their employees they know EXACTLY how much that will cost under the healthcare reform act. In fact for some businesses it may actually be more cost effective to drop medical insurance than to keep it.

Fourth, businesspeople and people in the banking and finance industry are notorious for using the media for "Talking Their Book" in other words using the media for pushing poliicies that are finanically beneficial to them.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:46 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,279,135 times
Most people in business for themselves (like me) do so for many reasons.

One being they are independent.

I like to run my business as I see fit so, I will not like any new regulation.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
It's bullsh*t, for one it hasn't stop the largest corporations in the world from investing billions of dollars in low wage high growth emerging market countries.
How does this support your argument? If anything it completely supports the other posters statement because investing in other countries, results in non jobs here
Quote:
Second the current presidential administration has set out to considerabley reduce and streamline government regulation.
That has nothing at all to do with the "obama recovery". Great plan absolutely, but this doesnt equate to businesses knowing their costs and thus able to calculate risks. This is a reduction of GOVERNMENT costs, and I've never known government to pass savings onto the consumer. They just find other ways to spend it
Quote:
Third if any businessperson decides to drop medical insurance for their employees they know EXACTLY how much that will cost under the healthcare reform act. In fact for some businesses it may actually be more cost effective to drop medical insurance than to keep it.
MAY be, but if its more cost effective to drop medical insurance, this means all of a sudden my employees arent insured, and then government has to somehow pay for these peoples treatment. I thought the point behind passing healthcare reform was to insure MORE, not less, because the MORE you insure, the lower the cost is for all, because you spread these out among the masses. Now you are admitting this might actually decrease the number insured, which leaves a certainty unknown, HOW WILL YOU PAY FOR THEM?
Quote:
Fourth, businesspeople and people in the banking and finance industry are notorious for using the media for "Talking Their Book" in other words using the media for pushing poliicies that are finanically beneficial to them.
True, but so do politicians. The fact that they use the public for their "talking points", dont equate to them being wrong..

Old 06-12-2011, 12:11 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,286,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
How does this support your argument? If anything it completely supports the other posters statement because investing in other countries, results in non jobs here

That has nothing at all to do with the "obama recovery". Great plan absolutely, but this doesnt equate to businesses knowing their costs and thus able to calculate risks. This is a reduction of GOVERNMENT costs, and I've never known government to pass savings onto the consumer. They just find other ways to spend it
MAY be, but if its more cost effective to drop medical insurance, this means all of a sudden my employees arent insured, and then government has to somehow pay for these peoples treatment. I thought the point behind passing healthcare reform was to insure MORE, not less, because the MORE you insure, the lower the cost is for all, because you spread these out among the masses. Now you are admitting this might actually decrease the number insured, which leaves a certainty unknown, HOW WILL YOU PAY FOR THEM?

True, but so do politicians. The fact that they use the public for their "talking points", dont equate to them being wrong..
False the reduction and streamling of regulations is targeted at reducing the cost to do business.

Streamlining Regulation Government: Agencies offer plans for cutting costs, paperwork for businesses

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Departments of Commerce and State plan to lead a series of reforms to lower barriers to exports of U.S.-made products, Sunstein says. And an upcoming rule from the Occupational Safety & Health Administration will switch the U.S. to an international hazard communication system for chemicals used in the workplace. This single change will save businesses more than $500 million per year in regulatory costs, he says.
Second most employers don't give a damn if the decision is made to drop medical insurance for their employees if the cost get too high. The care much more about PROFITS. The people that are no longer insured will have other options.

Third all the reductions is government regulations in the world isn't going to change the fact that a textile worker in China makes $200 a month, a Chinese worker in a solar panel factory makes $1.80 an hour and one in the United States makes $27.00 an hour and a certified public accountant in Sri Lanka makes $5,900 a year and one in the United States makes $60,000 a year. There is NOTHING that the United States government can do change that and the fact that investment dollars are going to chase those lower labor costs for profit. The fundamental economic dynamic in the world today is that wealth and economic growth is flowing away from the United States and Europe and toward, Asia, Latin America, the Middle East and Africa. It's the labor cost, natural resources and demographics in those regions that are going to drive worldwide economic growth for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by JazzyTallGuy; 06-12-2011 at 12:20 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 12:18 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,160,486 times
Americans should be prepared to work (hard and fast) for less than $5 per hour and no benefits.
To ensure the success of American corporations all of you (tomorrow- Monday morning) should request that your boss cut back on your pay and benefits.
Please do this patriotic thing! Remember, your life may be tough, but Heaven will give you the wonderful rewards!
God Ble$$ America!

Old 06-12-2011, 12:18 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,512,309 times
Quote:
False the reduction and streamling of regulations is targeted at reducing the cost to do business.

Second most employers don't give a damn if the decision is made to drop medical insurance for their employees if the cost get too high. The care much more about PROFITS. The people that are no longer insured will have other options.

What about the majority, that have never ever provided healthcare to their employees.

Now they will be required to do so, at a cost and it will no longer be the employee buying into the group plan.

I will let people go on unemployment, to be able to afford the penalty I'm now required to pay on those still employed with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies