Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:38 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Bureau of Labor gives an average US weekly pay of 652.85, for a yearly income of $33,948. That's roughly a 353:1 ratio - please feel free to check my math.
All Occupations -
Employment - 127,097,160
Median Hourly - $16.27
Mean Hourly - $21.35
Mean Annual - $44,410

Chief Executives
Employment - 273,500
Median Hourly - $79.37
Mean Hourly - $83.34
Mean Annual - $173,350
Mean RSE - 0.3 %

I don't really think that needs explanation.

But here goes.

I win, you lose. The premise that CEO pay is outrageously out of control is a complete and utter lie.
Quote:
Here's where the trouble begins. Your $12 million number is an average taken from 299 companies. To find someone in Germany getting compensated to the tune of $12 million, you have to pick from a handful of companies. And of course the low dollar rate makes their salaries look much higher. This makes for poor statistics...
See response 1

Quote:
However, we can see that the figure to use for the average worker's pay is higher. According to this (sorry, it's in German):

Lohnnebenkosten in Deutschland unter EU-Schnitt - Finanzen100 (http://www.finanzen100.de/nachrichten/lohnnebenkosten-in-deutschland-unter-eu-schnitt_H852761181_1-1-17886/ - broken link)

- the average work hour is compensated with 29.20 Euro. Germans, lucky bastards, work about 1400 hours per year. With the current dollar rate, that's roughly $58660. (Don't panic, that number, too, is an artifact of the low dollar rate.)
See response 1

Quote:
And so, using the statistical outliers among German CEOs - the absolute top-10 - we still get the lower rate of 205:1, not the US 299-company-average figure of 353:1.
See response 1

Quote:
Anyone feel like doing the math for the US top 10 CEOs? It's not going to be as low as 353:1, that's for sure.
See response 1

May 2010 National Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 10:38 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendbeaver View Post
Owning shares doesn't mean you "took risks" to start a business. It means you used wealth you already had in an attempt to get wealther, without using any skill to create more jobs/wealth.

No one needs to thank anyone making 250k. The money itself is the thank-you they sought, and now they have it.
All I said was that the almost all of the wealthy are business owners in response to the individual who said otherwise. I didn't say anything more.

Now, I will say more though since I disagree with what you posted. Owning shares means that you are taking a risk. Maybe not a risk to start a business, but certainly a risk in supporting one. This kind of investment supports jobs in the job market. If all the currently wealthy took their money out of stocks, the jobs would disappear.

I'll agree with you in that your income is thank you enough. The amount of income you make correlates in how much you are thanked for your contribution. This applies on all levels.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Up yours for giving yourself a pay raise and me a pay cut.

Up yours for increasing the price of my health care premium.

Up yours for paying fifteen percent in taxes on capital gains while I get taxed at a far higher rate.

Up yours for bribing public officials to line your pockets.

Up yours for allowing massive numbers of illegals to stay here so you can earn a profit and I can support them.

Up yours for creating a society where the middle class is being hunted into
oblivion.
Up yours for making me work on holidays with no extra pay.

Up yours for an economy that screws over everyone but the super rich.

Up yours for no guaranteed health insurance so if I can sick and can't afford premiums I am told I can drop dead.

Up yours for the attacks on teachers and anyone else who isn't motivated solely by greed.

Up yours for bribing the board so you can get fat stock options while the ordinary investor gets nothing.

Up yours for union busting, shipping jobs overseas, pushing up the cost of college tuition for the middle class, the price of food for all of us.

Most of all up yours for the santimonious whining by people who already have so much they don't know what to do with it.

This is the most ridiculous post. A lot of that stuff doesn't apply to most people above $250k. If you don't like working for someone, or their policies, why do you keep working for them? If someone gave me a paycut, I would do something else. If someone made me work on holidays, I'd do something else. You make poor choices, then complain. It's your fault.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You actually think that having a donation page is making the entire population share the burden?

Old 06-13-2011, 10:59 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is the most ridiculous post. A lot of that stuff doesn't apply to most people above $250k. If you don't like working for someone, or their policies, why do you keep working for them? If someone gave me a paycut, I would do something else. If someone made me work on holidays, I'd do something else. You make poor choices, then complain. It's your fault.
Yes it does.

Every single thing I wrote is true. The top income percentiles have steadfastly given themselves pay raises while handing out pay cuts to everyone else. They control our government, healthcare, immigration laws, labor laws and all other laws. They have done a lousy job of it. We are last in so many stats including life expectancy, health care costs, the gap between the rich and poor, infant mortality rates and dozens of other measurements of a civil society.

Go look up the word oligarchy or the unemployment stats and get back to me. Or just continue to admire people who making this country worse for most people.

FYI, I earn an above average income. So I haven't made any personal poor choices. But that does not mean I can't express contempt for the people who control this country and the many ways they continue to attempt to make life worse for most Americans.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:32 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
perhaps you need to go back and re-read our exchange then.. because never once did I ever disagree with the ability of a business to hire and fire.. but in regards to treatment, and culture created to attract talent, and hard working employees. If you as an employer treat everyone as if they can be replaced at the drop of a hat.. you will limit yourself to a certain calibre of employee..
I'm not trying to discredit you.. I'm responding to your discreditting of me in my post, which you didn't clearly follow...
You told the guy he sucked at business but you really don't have any basis to say that, and your assessment seems to be based more on emotion than fact. That's what I'm responding to.

The simple fact is, employees, especially lower-skilled employees, can be replaced at the drop of a hat. Of course if you treat your employees like **** they might leave, but the fact remains the employer is the one with 90% of the power in that relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
and employment laws are different for contracted work vs payroll employment.. and the issues attributed to employees on YOUR payroll are TOTALLY different.. when you have people on your payroll it's not just about X amount of work that needs to be done by X time as in subcontracted work..there's so much more to it..
So what? In the context we were discussing this the laws are completely off topic. Contract and non-contract employees can be replaced at the drop of a hat. I didn't say there weren't differences, I said the differences didn't apply to this discussion.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:37 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Well guess what, 23 year olds do have children that are not planned for. People from all ages have children that are not planned for. That situation is never going to change. Reproduction is the most basic instinct of a female, regardless of species. If you think politics is going to change that than think again. I was born to a teenage mother without a father present. I dare you to go through life under those circumstances and then say this is a fair country. You will work, and work, and WORK and you will NEVER catch a break.
I never said they didn't. Are you telling me that I should not be allowed to invest in myself and be responsible and be rewarded for my efforts? I'm sorry, but if you have 2 kids at age 23 that is nobody's fault but your own.

Quote:
As to how business owners become successful. At least half the rich business owners I know inherited the business from a family member. I would imagine they become and stay successful through a strong work ethic, something that the overwhelming majority of poor people also have, but they were dealt a less fortunate hand of cards to play in life.
Life ain't fair.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:10 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Reproduction is the most basic instinct of a female, regardless of species.
Sorry, but you lost me with "the most basic instinct of a
female" because it is really the most basic instinct of a
man Woman species of any type multi task

Old 06-14-2011, 04:38 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Walmart has been one of the most successful businesses in the world for years. Is it one of the best places to work?
Yes.

You get out of it what you put in to it.

They offer many opportunities that smaller companies cannot.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:47 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
This has got to be the most pathetic post I've ever seen. Thank you all the rich robber baron families like the Rockefellers who plundered, pillaged, and otherwise stole from people already living on this land. I mean where the hell do you think capital comes from? You think it grows on trees? It comes from NATURE i.e. NATURAL RESOURCES! No one person owns the natural resources from mother earth. Hence no rich person is self made considering at one time or another way down the ladder of history it took natural resources to build capital.
What do you think?

That resources are just lying around waiting for someone to bend over and pick them up?

You do realize that there is much investment and hard work involved, at least I hope you would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies