Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:53 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,460,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I have a further example of a "Veteran's" viewpoint. My FIL was RCAF who was then 'ceded' to the RAF upon hi arrival 'in theater' during WWII to then fly 67 missions as a 'tail gunner' in Lancasters and Liberator's. He sustained a knee injury that plagued him all of his adult life (limp and pain) from a crash landing upon returning from one of those missions.

He was actually contacted here in Canada in the late 80's by RAF officials reviewing wartime records querying the extent of his disability with a view to providing a small pension if he had proof of any ongoing malaise from that injury. His answer: "it did not prevent me from making a good living at "design engineering" so I do not consider myself to have been disabled." His doctors could have easily provided whatever proof was required but he wanted no part of that.

Of course this would be different from those vets who've suffered a drastic 'quality of life' reduction from a service related accident. Shouldn't it be conducive to that degree of severity?
I'm in a similar situation and feel he should have gone through the system. I injured my shoulder on the ship trying to get our generators started. Began failing the fitness test and was forced out. I'm in the VA system for my shoulder now but I'm not seeking treatment for it,...yet. Doctors have told me it's too early for surgery. Surgery could be worse than it is now but they all agree it will get progressively worse to the point that surgery is required. The injury happened in 1995 and the grinding in my shoulder is worse and I can barely move my arm to my back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Engaging in war is more than driving a car where you can apply brakes and stop.
Really? Congressional Democrats did it pretty well with Vietnam. I think they're hesitant to do it again continuing the belief they are the cut and run party.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well that's a mighty fine thing, you having a job and all, of course that does nothing for the hundreds of thousands of Vets who don't.
I feel no sympathy for them if the reason for them not having a job is drug and or alcohol addiction and didnt seek help for their addictions. I got and kept my job thanks to my Navy training. It's not a great paying job but it's steady work and have been there for 11 1/2 years now.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:20 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,262,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I couldn't open the linked article. Some vets don't need to be on the VA. I am on the VA because of my shoulder injury but I don't use the VA. Instead, I choose to use my employee's health insurance. If my shoulder gets worse I may use the VA or I may choose to use my insurance. I'll decide that when the time comes. My father-in-law uses the VA and he's 85. My personal opinion is the VA should be used by those with a service connected injury, service connected mental problem, or the retired or elderly.
My father-in-law (age 88) also uses the VA, and has had several health problems in the last few years that they have dealt with admirably. Do they split the costs between VA, Medicare, and medigap? I never asked him.

Anyway, he was a bombardier in WWII, and was shot down in Germany. After 18 months in a POW camp, they were freed. May have been by the Russians, but I'm not clear on that detail. I figure he deserves to use the VA.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:32 AM

24,623 posts, read 19,105,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I'm not sure why or how they are recieving any treatment if they are 0% and not service connected?

You must be 0% service connected to recieve treatment and that must be for your disability....nothing else....you cannot go in with a cold....and expect to be...
No.

Any eligible Veteran may use the VA Health Care System.

It is NOT free.

If you are 0% Service-connected or not service connected your insurance company is billed just as surely as if you had gone to a private or public hospital.

If you are receiving Medicare or Medicaid benefits, then Medicare and Medicaid are billed just as though you had gone to a private or public hospital.

VA Health Care System is more cost-effective and a better bargain than private or public health care. Those Veterans who are on Medicare or Medicaid and are using the VA System are saving tax payers money by not using the more expensive private and public systems. Those Veterans who are privately insured are saving their insurance companies money.

If the Veteran has neither private insurance nor Medicare/Medicaid, then the Veteran is billed in the exactly the same way a private or public hospital bills them.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:46 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times
I am a Vietnam Veteran. If you consider part of my personality is a completely insane whack job that enjoys a close range gunfight, then I guess I have PTSD. Fortunately the rest of my personality keeps the nut cake very well suppressed without any aid from the VA.

I am not surprised that the Republicans want to cut VA benefits that might help veterans but are completely unwilling to end the wars that create the physically or psychologically damaged veterans they want to harm. No surprise at all.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:48 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,767,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Really? Congressional Democrats did it pretty well with Vietnam. I think they're hesitant to do it again continuing the belief they are the cut and run party.
Did they have a choice? Were you upset about it?

Old 06-14-2011, 07:55 AM

23,441 posts, read 17,113,855 times
So tell me, if every crime needs a motive, why would the Republicans want to kick the vets off health care?

If depriving vets of healthcare was their intention, how could they expect to win the votes of the electorate assuming they wish to proliferate politically?

Perhaps the sensational headline posted in the OP is somewhat misleading?

Old 06-14-2011, 08:00 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,767,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
So tell me, if every crime needs a motive, why would the Republicans want to kick the vets off health care?
Because they are now, mostly, useless.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,154,689 times
Seems the repubs want to kick every one off healthcare and privatize it completely.
Cant afford it? cant get insured? tough luck,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies