Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 08:21 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Gay rights are not human rights. Gays have the rights that everyone else has: to marry someone of the opposite sex. Therefore, if gays clearly have the same rights as everyone else, there is no problem. Gays want to a special concession made for them to marry someone of the same sex. This will open the floodgates to all sorts of unions: immediate family, animals, objects, and basically everything. Our society has crumbled enough without us changing the definition of the institution of marriage. Why do homosexuals need marriage? It makes no sense. Just let them have the insurance benefits of a married couple and be done with it. Why gays are so focused on adopting the term "marriage" to their committed relationships is baffling to me. If you are in a secure, committed relationship, I don't know why you need to have a binding marriage to get by.
You invalidate your own argument by using the "slippery slope" defense. Fallacy: Slippery Slope
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 08:22 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
what uprising? you do realize 53 percent of the population now approves of gay marriage? and it's climbing?

that is how the supreme court works my friend.. it's how it's always worked.. and I severely doubt there will be any sort of uprising.. just you soiling your pants and having a rant in your living room.. hardly an "uprising"

you better start preparing yourself now.. it will come.. I'm sorry it upsets you so.. but it's people's lives and families that are being hurt.. and really it won't affect you at all other than losing some sort of "holier than thou" battle
This is what will happen....
Attached Thumbnails
Can I have the right to think homosexuality is wrong?-gaymarriage1.gif  

Old 06-14-2011, 08:22 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Sure. Just don't interfere with my pursuit to happiness and we're all good.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:25 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Yawn. You and your polls. This doesn't negate the FACT that the majority of these states have gay marriage bans. If the most liberal states in this country do not even allow gay marriage, your idea that the majority of Americans are supportive of the measure is laughable and is based off of fantasy.

Let me state it again: If the MAJORITY of folks in these states are liberal and there gay marriage is not legal in most... then clearly your assumption that people are accepting of this abhorrence is false.

Try again.
Abhorrence?

It's a shame you didn't live more than 50 years ago. Your parents union would have been called an "abhorrence" by many people with a mindset just like yours.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I clearly stated that I am supportive of gay couples being awarded the concessions that straights are awarded. Just do not call your union marriage.

The gays seem so intent on calling each other husband and husband and wife and wife that it isn't even clearly why they really want marriage. The gays will battle and battle with people like me who want what's best for society.

As an interracial person, I am not for interracial bans. You're logic is severely flawed.
And yet you don't see that the simplest way of granting those 'concessions' is to simply include gay couples in the marriage laws. Instead you want 1,400 new laws saying each couple is entitled to each 'concession'.

And I really don't understand your remark about "what's best for society". Do you really think it's 'best for society' to have different laws governing similar situations because of only one difference - the sex of the members of the couple?

Old 06-14-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
It's not "legal" because interracial marriage is based off of race, not sexuality and gender. An Indian man and a Swedish woman can still produce a child. Two men or two women can't. Race is a ridiculous medium to base marriage off of. Gender is not. There is no purpose for gay marriage. It's just nonsensical and unnecessary.
So tell me, what is the 'purpose' of my brother's marriage? They've been married for 25 years next week, have no children. Of course they love each other, but if marriage is (or should be) based on the ability to produce children, then you'd have to say their marriage is "nonsensical and unnecessary", wouldn't you?

Old 06-14-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
you forget though.. straight people will be able to marry someone of the same sex too.. so it's not a special right just for gays! everyone can marry anyone they choose
But those who want to forbid same sex marriage don't want to see it that way. After all, they don't want to marry someone of the same sex, so why should anyone else be able to? But they refuse to see the opposite, that a gay man doesn't want to marry someone of the opposite sex and that such a marriage would have no effect at all on their marriage. Just as my siblings' marriages had no effect on my marriage.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:09 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:
The primary purpose of marriage should be for procreation. Most married people do procreate. That's the way our society has worked for centuries.

Why the gays are so dead set on filing marriage contracts with one another makes no sense. If you are awarded all of the benefits that a straight couple is awarded, why do you need a marriage contract?

Expand allowances under civil unions. That's all I'm talking about here.
More than 50% of married couples never have children. I married my partner of 32 years in 2008, we call it married and there is nothing you can do about it. There is also a straight divorce rate well over 50%. We want a marriage contract and the 1041 Federally protected rights that go with it, that is why we want marriage. Civil unions are separate and not equal to marriage and is not treated equally by society.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
I don't understand why gays want a MARRIAGE. Religions see them as abominations so why seek acceptance from religions that despise you?

A Civil Union with ALL the protections and benefits of marriage seems like common sense.
What does religion have to do with civil marriage? Or do you not understand the difference between religious marriage and civil marriage? You can have one or the other, but that religious marriage isn't going to get you any rights and/or privileges without that civil marriage license. And the problem with "civil union" laws in most of the states that have them is that they specifically and intentionally leave out almost all of the rights and privileges that come automatically with marriage. And that's an awful lot of rights and privileges to not have access to simply because your chosen partner is the same sex as you.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Where did I say there was?

The majority of people within marriages procreate. For many Americans that's one of the primary reasons to get married.

People do not get married for friendship. That is ludicrous.
I'll have to remember to tell my brother you think his marriage is "ludicrous". And, BTW, though I did end up with children, that was NOT the 'primary' reason I got married 40+ years ago. I got married because I loved him, he loved me and we wanted to spend our lives together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies