Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 10:45 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,402,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
After the trash is at the curb anyone can go through it or take it. If you don't want your trash gone through dispose of it yourself. We have no privacy in this country and have not for a very long time.
Yes but isn't it sad that it is in the FBI manual? Why are they wasting our taxpayer dollars going though some innocent American's trash just to act like bullies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 10:49 PM

All of you who think it is ok probably think it is fine for Google to keep copies of your searches and your phone company to record your phone calls and Microsoft to come on your computer and spy on you everytime you give them permission to install a "Windows Update"...because you don't have anything to hide...What about the fact that this is supposed to be a FREE country and we have a right to privacy?

Also all of you with gmail accounts or hotmail have zero privacy as all copies of your emails you send and receive from elsewhere are saved by Google and Microsoft. Did you know that?

Old 06-13-2011, 10:54 PM

1,027 posts, read 822,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Yes but isn't it sad that it is in the FBI manual? Why are they wasting our taxpayer dollars going though some innocent American's trash just to act like bullies?
FBI agents randomly dig through innocent peoples trash?

Old 06-13-2011, 10:54 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,800,909 times
Quote:
All of you who think it is ok probably think it is fine for Google to keep copies of your searches and your phone company to record your phone calls and Microsoft to come on your computer and spy on you everytime you give them permission to install a "Windows Update"...because you don't have anything to hide...What about the fact that this is supposed to be a FREE country and we have a right to privacy?
No one forces you to use Google or to accept a Windows update that asks you to sign away your rights. There are companies out there who do not keep you IP address for your searches.

The company who can come up with an operating system as successful as Windows and not collect data about their customers may develope a market for those who truely want to protect every aspect of their privacy. Most compromise just as you have. You are posting on a public forum that also keeps tract of your posts and allows others to seen them.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:02 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,145,414 times
Quote:
This is alll over the net that the FBI just took the liberty to search through people's trash without a warrant. You can even check their manual at this link The FBI Can Go Through Your Trash Whenever It Wants | NowPublic News Coverage

good luck with that, I shred everything that is made of paper in my home before it goes into the garbage can. the feds is least of my worrys about information. thieves and identity theft is what I worry about.

oh snap....the feds are thieves.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:13 PM

1,027 posts, read 822,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
good luck with that, I shred everything that is made of paper in my home before it goes into the garbage can. the feds is least of my worrys about information. thieves and identity theft is what I worry about.

oh snap....the feds are thieves.
You obviously haven't seen the technology they have to scan shreds of papers and reconstruct them digitally like a crossword puzzle...all in a few seconds.

And that's OOOLLLLLDDD technology.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Not if it is on your property. Once it leaves your property, you are correct. Though at that point, I can't see why anyone would complain. I can go down to the local trash yard and sift through trash as I am there if I like. If people are worried about privacy, they need to properly dispose of their documents and the like.
Haven't you heard? They can do more than search your trash. They can search your home; attach GPS devices to your car and follow you around. There is a ton they can do now, thanks to the Patriot Act renewal and Obama strengthening it!

I just started the thread about the trash because I thought that was really the limit to show the extent they can go to to harass you if they want to.

In fact, when you watch a video clip, if you haven't made sure to right click on the global settings and to disable the second icon of an eye which enables s0.2mdn.net (some spy operation?) to utilize your camera in your PC and your microphone to watch you and listen to you while you watch videos, you may be being watched without even realizing it.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:57 PM

Regarding the spying and the utilization of your screen and mic to watch you (that you can disable if you want and know how to do), I went to the site at s0.2mdn.net and sure enough, it is a Google site. The more you see Google (and Apple and Microsoft) sticking their noses in people's private business, the more believable the idea I read or was told that Google is a front for the CIA becomes.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:21 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,066,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
After the trash is at the curb anyone can go through it or take it. If you don't want your trash gone through dispose of it yourself. We have no privacy in this country and have not for a very long time.
The new regulations stipulate that it doesn't have to be at the curb. If your trash is near or on a easement or right of way, it's considered public access. If it can be viewed from the street or driveway, it's public access.

Quote:
As a general matter, there is no reasonable expectation of privacy in areas that are exposed to public view or that are otherwise available to the public. A reasonable expectation of privacy may be terminated by an individual abandoning property, setting trash at the edge of the cuitilage or beyond for collection, or when a private party reveals the. contents of a package.
That is from the FBI manual

Old 06-14-2011, 12:35 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,925,526 times
"FBI can now go through your trash"

The FBI can go through your trash without a warrant since 1988 when the Court ruled 6-2 in California v. Greenwood, 486 U.S. 35 (1988)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies