Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:51 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times

Advertisements

These unions will fight themselves into oblivion, essentially biting the hands that feed them.

The unions didn't want to allow the exhibitors the ability to do their own set-ups... something they CAN do in Las Vegas, where they are now opting to have their trade show in 2013.

Quote:
Mr. Wulf said his organization reconsidered Chicago as a convention site partly because of the ability of exhibitors to set up their own booths regardless of size. He said the use of local Chicago labor to perform such tasks was an "unnecessary cost" and could be a safety issue given the type of equipment that exhibitors display.
Read more: McCormick Place loses Car Care show to Las Vegas: report | Government | Crain's Chicago Business

Thanks, unions. The city will lose out on yet another trade show thanks to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 06:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
I've worked tech trade shows over the years in a few cities.
It's ridiculous what I was NOT allowed to do to set up my demo.
Honestly..I do know how to put a plug in an outlet. And I'm not talking about running an extension cord..that I understand has to be done safely.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:26 AM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Unions create unemployment.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:32 PM

No pro-unionites want to weigh in on the destruction unions are wreaking?

Figures.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:40 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
No pro-unionites want to weigh in on the destruction unions are wreaking?

Figures.
Maybe they are finally seeing the error of their ways. Although I doubt it.

Honestly, I'm a perfectionist and I would never let someone else set something up for me if I was doing a trade show of some sort. It would never be done how I want it and I would have to redo it myself anyway. What a waste of money. From what I understand, this is causing Chicago to lose lots of potential income...which will just jack up tax rates for everyone.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:45 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
These unions will fight themselves into oblivion, essentially biting the hands that feed them.

The unions didn't want to allow the exhibitors the ability to do their own set-ups... something they CAN do in Las Vegas, where they are now opting to have their trade show in 2013.

Thanks, unions. The city will lose out on yet another trade show thanks to you.
Good. It's about time the unions and the dems start feeling the bite of their corruption and unreasonable actions.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:20 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Umm, this trade show was last in Chicago 10 years ago. It rotated to Chicago maybe once every 5 years or so. All they said is they're keeping it in Vegas this year.

Chicago didn't exactly LOSE anything, they just didn't score the show.

It's maybe 6,000 people in the show. Chicago gets hundreds of thousands a year. Not saying this is good for Chicago at all, but it's more media trying to fish for a story to make people freak out.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Umm, this trade show was last in Chicago 10 years ago. It rotated to Chicago maybe once every 5 years or so. All they said is they're keeping it in Vegas this year.

Chicago didn't exactly LOSE anything, they just didn't score the show.

It's maybe 6,000 people in the show. Chicago gets hundreds of thousands a year. Not saying this is good for Chicago at all, but it's more media trying to fish for a story to make people freak out.
Okay, $8.5 Million in lost sales (yes, it is a loss) in the city is nothing to you. I get it. Ideology first, common sense second.

What about the Plastics tradeshow they lost too? Chump change again? Or how about the Healthcare Information and Management Systems trade show? That one alone generated $55 Million in local spending. Do you honestly believe that if these changes passed in January are permanantly overturned that they will stay in Chicago?

Quote:
The annual meeting rotates between several cities, and 2012 had been the next window for Chicago. Instead, the show opted for Las Vegas, citing exorbitant costs for electrical services at McCormick Place.
The group's decision was followed by the exit of the triennial plastics industry trade show, a staple for the city since 1971. It opted for Orlando in 2012 and 2015, also citing high costs in Chicago.
It's estimated that Chicago is facing a $1 Billion dollar budget deficit. Readers respond: True Chicago budget deficit over $1 billion a year | Opinion | Crain's Chicago Business

You would think that a resident of Chicago would be at least slightly concerned. Then again, the idiots of Chicago are the ones who keep on re-electing the same crooked politicians over, and over, and over again. You just can't fix stupid I guess.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:32 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
Promise---this will happen again.

Unions have cost Chicago millions of dollars in revenue, right alongside the local Democrats who insist that WalMart pay their employees an I'm-not-making-this-up FOURTEEN dollars an hour in order to open a new store.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:52 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Surprised they haven't tried to make it a requirement for homeowners to pay a union electrician to plug in a toaster at home,...yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies