Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 05:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

The problem with white conservatives is that they bend over backwards to decontextualize the history and rational which provided the basis for the implementation of voluntary and court ordered "affirmative action" programs in the first place. In doing so the insist on bastardizing King's 'I Have a Dream Speech" while totally ignoring his remarks that he wrote in "Why We Can't Wait";
"Whenever the issue of compensatory treatment for the Negro is raised, some of our friends recoil in horror. The Negro should be granted equality, they agree; but he should ask nothing more. On the surface, this appears reasonable, but it is not realistic."...

... "For it is obvious that if a man is entered at the starting line in a race three hundred years after another man, the first would have to perform some impossible feat in order to catch up with his fellow runner."
If these ill-educated young folks understood the context of "affirmative action" they might not look like such foolish tools of other folks malodorous agendas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 07:05 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
There have been many instances where a minority has gotten a job only because they were a minority. It's really not that unusual. I've seen it first hand in the work place.
There are many instances where whites have gotten jobs only because they are white. Are you all up in arms about that?

Old 06-15-2011, 07:24 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
There are many instances where whites have gotten jobs only because they are white. Are you all up in arms about that?
That'd **** me off too. But you seem to think that since that might happen, then it's okay for the government to enact racist laws. It's not.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:54 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea...i know, i know. Your job told you that too. Hell, let's take it even further. There has never been a black man in the history of the world that ever got a job because he was actually qualified.

Moreover, all white people in every job that they've ever had was better qualified than every other applicant.

There. You can close the thread now.
Why did we leave basketball on this thread. Everybody knows that white men can't jump although some of them can. Everyone knows that although some whites have been outstanding basketball players not so many of them are good enough to beat out good blacks at basketball. Somehow many people just don't realize how hard some kids of both races work to get their ball handling or shooting to a point where it does show up better than most others.

This thing started out with some kids trying to point out that nearly every player on their college teams were black and that was far beyond the numbers of blacks compared to whites at their school. Stupidity can go a long way but they were right about the way this has worked for years. It is just that they didn't seem to understand that most coaches want the best people to be their teams and that puts those black kids way ahead of most whites, only that some whites have grown taller or been lucky.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:10 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:

Yes. It works both ways.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Why did we leave basketball on this thread. Everybody knows that white men can't jump although some of them can. Everyone knows that although some whites have been outstanding basketball players not so many of them are good enough to beat out good blacks at basketball. Somehow many people just don't realize how hard some kids of both races work to get their ball handling or shooting to a point where it does show up better than most others.

This thing started out with some kids trying to point out that nearly every player on their college teams were black and that was far beyond the numbers of blacks compared to whites at their school. Stupidity can go a long way but they were right about the way this has worked for years. It is just that they didn't seem to understand that most coaches want the best people to be their teams and that puts those black kids way ahead of most whites, only that some whites have grown taller or been lucky.
Roy, my retort is still this: American sports are only PLAYED by black athletes, but they are DOMINATED by whites. That includes the NBA, NHL, MLB, and NFL....all dominted by whites.

Do you see me complaining about the current arrangement? To talk about Affirmative Action in sports is so ridiculous that i'm losing precious brain cells even discussing it. It's silly on it's face. And why do people harp on basketball so much? Why not insist on Affirmative Action in the NHL since this issue seems to be so important to some people? Now i know people are using sports as a hypothetical and are being somewhat smartassed about this thing, but it's silly nonetheless.

This topic comes up because the OP wants to compare the NBA to corporate America. Well guess what...the NBA is representative of corporate America. The way it works in the NBA is no different than the way it works at Google, Microsoft, or GM....and to suggest that it is different is bullsh*t and you know it.

Look...bottom line, if you work hard and keep your nose to the grindstone, you'll be fine regardless of race. If you don't get a job at one place, somewhere else will hire you eventually. But this b*tching and whining and victimology that's being displayed by some on here is annoying. Enough already. It's giving me a headache.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes. It works both ways.
C'mon RK...no one is up in arms about that because 9 times outta 10, we have no idea who is the most qualified for any job. We can only speculate, and i'd guaranteee you that most speculation is so far off the mark that it's laughable. I work next to the human resources people at my job, and they're COMPLETELY tight lipped about the hiring process. Folks around here are always talking about who is qualified and who isn't and they usually haven't a damn clue as to what they're talking about.

Bottom line...no one knows didly squat that doesn't work in Human Resources at a company. How they select whatever people they hire is pretty esoteric and they rarely if ever discuss that with employees. Hell, we're not even allowed to discuss our salaries where we work...so i'm supposed to believe that people know about the hiring process?

Old 06-16-2011, 04:05 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea...i know, i know. Your job told you that too. Hell, let's take it even further. There has never been a black man in the history of the world that ever got a job because he was actually qualified.
Then there is no need for Affirmative action right???

LOL...

Old 06-16-2011, 04:06 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
So despite the fact that you were so vastly more qualified your promotions went to two women instead.

You know, in ever "reverse discrimination" case that I have ever read the plaintiff is always some marginal white person who was marginally better than those who they claimed were less qualified than they were. I have never read one where the plaintiff was clearly superior, wonder why that is.
Better is better....why would someone who was WORSE at the job be hired???

LOL...AA tools are funny.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:09 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:

Absolutely. It goes both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies