Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 03:39 PM

281 posts, read 446,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
What specifically is your objection, can you note such and detail the issues of your complaint or was your comment that of a generalized rebuttal meant to be unspecific so as to avoid having to provide any relevant defense to its claim?
I wouldn't know where to begin. His entire book Heaven and Earth: Global Warming, the Missing Science is filled with inaccuracies, errors and outright lies. If climate scientists worked the way this guy does, everyone would be up in arms and rightfully so. Skeptics however are not held to these same standards. They can spout whatever like and their followers just don't care if it's true or not.

Here's an interesting list of some 300 things wrong in his book: http://www.complex.org.au/tiki-downl....php?fileId=91

His book is trash and the guy is a fraud, it will be telling to see if you can admit to that or not. And don't go off on some totally unrelated tangent now, read through the above document, then come back and tell me if you agree with the notion of Ian Plimer being a fraud or not.

Last edited by Ripley6174; 06-15-2011 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 04:28 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Oh man.

Reading these threads only remind me how easy it is to fool people.

so you saying particulate matter can not have a cooling effect??

we humans will never be able to totally figure out how the whole climate system works.. just to much variables..

Old 06-16-2011, 12:42 AM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Okay, i read your post. Now I ask you to watch this (it's only 13 parts) :

YouTube - ‪1. Climate Change -- the scientific debate‬‏

I watched it .... up to part 8.

And I will have to say that it covered all of the major issues thoroughly and comprehensively. And had an answer for every single challenge to the mainstream view of AGW. And done so cleverly. But clever is not necessarily accurate or honest. And what I saw was a mixture of obfuscations, suppositions, unsubstantiated claims, and outright deceptions.

Clearly, this is a hit piece ... a debunking effort, similar to several others I've seen on various topics. And the one thing they all have in common is that they have a definitive answer for everything. And this piece was no exception.

And I'll admit that it was pretty convincing .. pretty compelling. Nevertheless, it was a flat failure right out of the blocks .. and failed miserably on a couple of very key points ... which are deal breaking, story busting points.

The first and biggest issue was addressed right away .. they wasted no time in putting up Al Gore's big chart of 650,000 years of temperature/CO2 data, and honestly pointed out how increases in atmospheric CO2 doesn't show up until 800 years after a warming period. This is a killer problem with the claim that CO2 caused global warming ... so how was this addressed? Well, they denied it. Man made CO2 may not actually CAUSE global warming ... but once that warming begins, the oceans begin to release all of this CO2, and combined with the man made CO2 makes the warming so much worse. How about that. It makes it worse, even though it may not be the cause!

Well, so much for the debate. Everyone can stop arguing ... CO2 no longer has to be the cause of global warming .. that could be one of those other complex factors of climate ... but man made CO2 needs to be reduced anyway, because once global warming gets going, that's when CO2 starts doing the really bad stuff. UNBELIEVABLE.

Funny how this was never part of the story until after this 800 year lag time of CO2 increase was pointed out to show how it was impossible for CO2 to actually be the cause of the warming.

But wait ... it gets better. When it comes to the point that there have been times in the past when it was much warmer, and lower CO2 levels at the same time, the response was that no one ever said CO2 was the only cause, and that there are other factors, like the Sun. What? Let me get this straight, apparently these low levels of CO2 in past warm periods was precisely because no men were burning all that fossil fuel and generating the CO2? OK. Next.

Now as to the point when it was much cooler in the past, and there was simultaneously exponentially higher amounts of atmospheric CO2 as there is today ... the answer is, well that's because the Sun was less intense back then, which explains why it was cooler?

Now, all of this sounds very convenient for the Man Caused Global Warming crowd. Like I said, they have an answer for everything. And these answers are really about the same thing as was recently claimed that the very conditions which cause global warming can also cause global cooling.

But now ... it's even more convenient than that. Now the answer is .. So What! OK ... CO2 may not have been the cause of warming in the past ...and it may not have made it worse in the past because of other factors ... and it may not be causing global warming this time either ... but it is sure making it way worse this time.

Baloney ... Double Talk ... same old tactic ... unsupported claims, obfuscations, distortions, and outright fabrications.

This piece of propaganda debunks NOTHING.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:05 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
They just reported that the sun was going into another minimum sun spot phase called the Maunder Minimum. This could lead to another little ice age.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:57 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley6174 View Post
I wouldn't know where to begin. His entire book Heaven and Earth: Global Warming, the Missing Science is filled with inaccuracies, errors and outright lies. If climate scientists worked the way this guy does, everyone would be up in arms and rightfully so. Skeptics however are not held to these same standards. They can spout whatever like and their followers just don't care if it's true or not.

Here's an interesting list of some 300 things wrong in his book: http://www.complex.org.au/tiki-downl....php?fileId=91

His book is trash and the guy is a fraud, it will be telling to see if you can admit to that or not. And don't go off on some totally unrelated tangent now, read through the above document, then come back and tell me if you agree with the notion of Ian Plimer being a fraud or not.
I browsed through it, I will reserve judgement as I am not familiar with this book or this person. I will look into the details of some of the objections in that link when I get some time. Thank you though for outlining your objection and supporting it with reference.

Ah, ok... I did a bit of referencing to this person, I remember now it was the issue with Monbiot and the Guardian I believe and the call for a debate between to which Pilmer agreed to answer questions concerning the discrepancies before such debate and then backed out. That issue is argued back and forth as to why it was evaded, etc... I will admit I never followed it very closely. Should be interesting to look into the issue now though as time has passed.

I will say one thing though that I disagree with concerning the premise of that paper is that he turns it around a bit in an attempt to demand that Pilmer prove AGW false when that is counter to to the process. That is, Pilmer need only show inconsistencies and flaws with the position of AGW. It is the position of AGW to which must validate its claim, not directly Pilmers responsibility to prove the opposite. /shrug

If Pilmer contains errors (which he may very well), the fact that "some" exist does not disqualify that there are valid objections within as well. I am not saying that it should be taken as such obviously if errors exist (as certainly such should be corrected or properly explained), but a hypothesis must test consistently correct with all such discrepancies fully validated.

Last edited by Nomander; 06-16-2011 at 06:16 AM..

Old 06-16-2011, 06:16 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post

But now ... it's even more convenient than that. Now the answer is .. So What! OK ... CO2 may not have been the cause of warming in the past ...and it may not have made it worse in the past because of other factors ... and it may not be causing global warming this time either ... but it is sure making it way worse this time.

Baloney ... Double Talk ... same old tactic ... unsupported claims, obfuscations, distortions, and outright fabrications.

This piece of propaganda debunks NOTHING.

When the only tool you have is a hammer, the entire world becomes a nail.

AGW lemmings will adjust their story to accommodate anything as long as it includes man made CO2.

Scientists will continue to be shocked by changes in the earth's climate as well as the Sun. So now they are shocked to see changes in Sun spots and are predicting a long period of inactivity.

They are kinda like grade school kids drawing pictures of future space travel. Sooner or later one of those kids will draw the correct image. The difference is that the tax payers are paying these scientists... the grade school kids don't get paid.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:17 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
They just reported that the sun was going into another minimum sun spot phase called the Maunder Minimum. This could lead to another little ice age.

May be, it is rather quiet at the moment.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:30 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Ian Rutherford Plimer (born 12 February 1946) is an Australian geologist, academic and businessman, and professor of mining geology at the University of Adelaide . You will appreciate his take on climate change (aka: global warming).

Professor Ian Plimer could not have said it better! If you've read his book you will agree, this is a good summary.

Are you sitting down?

Okay, here's the bombshell. The volcanic eruption in Iceland , since its first spewing of volcanic ash has, in just FOUR DAYS, NEGATED EVERY SINGLE EFFORT you have made in the past five years to control CO2 emissions on our planet - all of you.

Of course you know about this evil carbon dioxide that we are trying to suppress - it's that vital chemical compound that every plant requires to live and grow, and to synthesize into oxygen for us humans, and all animal life.

I know, it's very disheartening to realize that all of the carbon emission savings you have accomplished while suffering the inconvenience and expense of: driving Prius hybrids, buying fabric grocery bags, sitting up till midnight to finish your kid's "The Green Revolution" science project, throwing out all of your non-green cleaning supplies, using only two squares of toilet paper, putting a brick in your toilet tank reservoir, selling your SUV and speedboat, vacationing at home instead of abroad, nearly getting hit every day on your bicycle, replacing all of your 50 cents light bulbs with $10.00 light bulbs . . . well, all of those things you have done have all gone down the tubes in just four days.

The volcanic ash emitted into the Earth's atmosphere in just four days - yes - FOUR DAYS ONLY by that volcano in Iceland , has totally erased every single effort you have made to reduce the evil beast, carbon. And there are around 200 active volcanoes on the planet spewing out this crud any one time - EVERY DAY.

I don't really want to rain on your parade too much, but I should mention that when the volcano Mt Pinatubo erupted in the Philippines in 1991, it spewed out more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than the entire human race had emitted in its entire YEARS on earth. Yes folks, Mt Pinatubo was active for over one year - think about it.

Of course I shouldn't spoil this touchy-feely tree-hugging moment and mention the effect of solar and cosmic activity and the well-recognized 800-year global heating and cooling cycle, which keep happening, despite our completely insignificant efforts to affect climate change.

And I do wish I had a silver lining to this volcanic ash cloud but the fact of the matter is that the bush fire season across the western USA and Australia this year alone will negate your efforts to reduce carbon in our world for the next two to three years. And it happens every year.

Just remember that your government just tried to impose a whopping carbon tax on you on the basis of the bogus "human-caused" climate change scenario.

Hey, isn't it interesting how they don't mention "Global Warming" any more, but just "Climate Change" - you know why? It's because the planet has COOLED by 0.7 degrees in the past century and these global warming bull artists got caught with their pants down.

And just keep in mind that you might yet have an Emissions Trading Scheme - that whopping new tax - imposed on you, that will achieve absolutely nothing except make you poorer. It won't stop any volcanoes from erupting, that's for sure.

But hey, relax, give the world a hug and have a nice day!

PS: I wonder if Iceland is buying carbon offsets?

Hey, I think just driving my '69 Super Bee around the block did about the same thing! I call it the "Anti-Prius".

If only the average liberal had the ability to pause and actually contemplate the ridiculous premise of global warming, they would be shocked. However, I would not count on a liberal coming to his/her senses anytime soon.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:46 AM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
When the only tool you have is a hammer, the entire world becomes a nail.

AGW lemmings will adjust their story to accommodate anything as long as it includes man made CO2.

Scientists will continue to be shocked by changes in the earth's climate as well as the Sun. So now they are shocked to see changes in Sun spots and are predicting a long period of inactivity.

They are kinda like grade school kids drawing pictures of future space travel. Sooner or later one of those kids will draw the correct image. The difference is that the tax payers are paying these scientists... the grade school kids don't get paid.
That video was a very cleverly orchestrated propaganda piece put together to rehabilitate the Man Made CO2 GW fraud, by shooting down every legitimate challenge that has thus far destroyed the scam. And they did a good job of it. The entire piece actually created a "Heads we win, tails you lose" scenario.

One thing is clear ... our system .... Government, Science, Medicine, Banking and Finance, Business, and the Media are totally void of any semblance of integrity. Absolutely lost in an ocean of corruption and self interests.

Science today, and scientific consensus is literally for sale to the highest bidder ... we might as well put the whole damned rotten to the core community up on eBay, with no reserve.

And the status of the general public isn't much better. Save for about 1/3 ... we otherwise have 2/3rds of the population that can't walk and chew gum at the same time. And there is no story too outrageous that they won't accept at face value ... no public policy too idiotic to fully embrace ... and no cause too depraved for them to support.

It's extremely depressing to watch our world become a cesspool of Tyrants, Sycophants, and drooling imbeciles.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:23 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
.... And there is no story too outrageous that they won't accept at face value ... no public policy too idiotic to fully embrace ... and no cause too depraved for them to support.

Yes, that's because we have observed decades of outrageous government behavior like experimenting with STDs on Black soldiers, outlawing pot because certain races were using it, quarantining anyone who looked Japanese, etc, etc. And now we have the AGW hoax... it fits the pattern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies