Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 10:36 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Same thing here.

The fast food places and Wal Mart are located in the poor areas of town. The well off neighborhoods have Whole Foods and nice restaurants.
Whole Foods is building in one of the most blighted areas on the South side of Chicago. This area is unlikely to gentrify.

When you get out into rural areas, Walmarts dominate.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 11:30 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,432 times
I've read this entire thread and can't make any sense of it, and i travel throughout the NE on a bi weekly basis and stop at
McDonald's through every state.

I see no older workers at these places. What i do see is that at every location the workers are from a different race. At one stop it's ALL Mexican help, another is all black, the next all white workers. And they r all in their younger years except the manager who is always obvious to anyone with a clue.

I could care less when the service is what it should be and for the most part it is. Decent service no matter what color or creed is serving me.

Many of the stops off the highway are in places one would consider poor, but the service/product is fine..

Maybe it's where i live and travel, but in the most obvious poor towns the service is decent and as i mentioned the only thing that stands out to me is that each different McDonald's has a crew of workers of the same ethnic back round. Does anyone else notice that?

I know many of routes 95,89,91,128 from RI, MA, NH and Vermont. Yes some of these towns may be poor but the workers are full of life and do their job well. I know these places are poor by looking at the scenery, not by the workers or the fast food places check out lane.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:50 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
You can tell how gay friendly a town is by looking at hair salon employees.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:00 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You can tell how gay friendly a town is by looking at hair salon employees.
And your point is???

Old 02-28-2015, 12:04 AM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times
There is one thing no one has considered. I would say another indicator is how many persons are those with college degrees (and not just the "soft majors"). That will definitely give an indicator of how bad an economy has fallen, by how many college graduates are working at minimum wage jobs.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:45 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
I've read this entire thread and can't make any sense of it, and i travel throughout the NE on a bi weekly basis and stop at
McDonald's through every state.

I see no older workers at these places. What i do see is that at every location the workers are from a different race. At one stop it's ALL Mexican help, another is all black, the next all white workers. And they r all in their younger years except the manager who is always obvious to anyone with a clue.

I could care less when the service is what it should be and for the most part it is. Decent service no matter what color or creed is serving me.

Many of the stops off the highway are in places one would consider poor, but the service/product is fine..

Maybe it's where i live and travel, but in the most obvious poor towns the service is decent and as i mentioned the only thing that stands out to me is that each different McDonald's has a crew of workers of the same ethnic back round. Does anyone else notice that?

I know many of routes 95,89,91,128 from RI, MA, NH and Vermont. Yes some of these towns may be poor but the workers are full of life and do their job well. I know these places are poor by looking at the scenery, not by the workers or the fast food places check out lane.

At McDonald's, the workers probably reflect the culture or ethnicity of the franchisee owner. There is a McD's in Portland where the workers were all Asian.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is one thing no one has considered. I would say another indicator is how many persons are those with college degrees (and not just the "soft majors"). That will definitely give an indicator of how bad an economy has fallen, by how many college graduates are working at minimum wage jobs.

Yes, I had a convenience store job were about one-fifth of two dozen employees had college degrees. Minimum wage isn't just for teens and dropouts any more.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Medicare doesn't cover all health care expenses. It is divided up into Parts A thru D Part A only covers hospitalization and only some of the bills racked up when you are in a hospital. Part B covers some of the rest but can cap or decline some charges Part B also covers some of your non-hospital expenses but again not all. Of the charges it accepts it only pays 80 % and you are stuck with a 20% co-pay for which you are responsible. Part C is the so called Medicare Advantage Plans which the Insurance companies provide, Part C is not available to all seniors so the Insurers can refuse you participation in such a plan if you are not health enough or have a poor prior medical history to meet their eligibility requirements. Part D is drug insurance and again insurers don't have to provide coverage for all medications only the ones they chose to cover. If you want good coverage you have to spend money to get such policies. To cover the other gaps in coverage you have buy what is called Medicare gap insurance provided you can get it because there is no prohibition of the use of pre-existing conditions. So you need to learn that the cost of health insurance even if you qualify for Medicare can still be high especially so for someone trying to get by on some fraction of his or her former working income.

But I thought Obamacare guaranteed coverage without regard to pre-existing conditions.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:55 AM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Yes, I had a convenience store job were about one-fifth of two dozen employees had college degrees. Minimum wage isn't just for teens and dropouts any more.
To me, that is a better indicator than old people working at a place. Sometimes the older people might need something to do.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:56 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,524,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
In a vibrant economy, the only people that McDonalds can get to work on the weekends for minimum wage are young high school students. Now more and more you will see people in their 50's working there. I see this more and more in poor towns and cities. If you are thinking about moving somewhere, just drive through the McDonald's first.
We haven't had a vibrant economy in eight years, so I'm not sure which McDonald's you're referring to. And if I'm thinking of moving somewhere, I'll check out the houses first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies