Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 05:17 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm a Democrat and I agree with the Koch brothers that we should end corn ethanol subsidies. I never thought I would agree with the Koch brothers, but hey I like to give credit where credit is due.
This Democrat is in concurrence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 05:28 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Sounds like a consensus. End the Starvation-For-Fuel programme.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 06-14-2011 at 05:44 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Sounds like a consensus. End the starvation for fuel programme.
Just a side thought about where we are. We are literally bound by our energy needs and are willing to sacrifice precious land for even more exploration. Humans and their inhibitions.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 06-14-2011 at 05:43 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 05:33 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
I agree too; however, the Koch brothers own a significant amount of oil pipeline, so I think they have alterior motives.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:43 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
We should end ALL government subsidies.
Blanket rules are usually wrong.

For instance, it makes sense for cities to subsidize mass transportation. It increases commerce, reduces congestion caused by cars, reduces air pollution and energy use.

Subsidizing veteran's education after World War Two ushered in an era of high productivity and innovation.

Some subsidies make sense while others do not. Ethanol subsidies do not.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:01 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Welcome to being a normal rational adult human being. Congratulations.

It is only a delusional crank that believes that people are either 100% agreeing or disagreeing with them. Pretty much everyone can find a point of agreement with even the most detestably hideous human being, and even the longest best friends don't agree on every point. The world is much too complex for that.

I agree as well, I don't like ethanol either. However, it doesn't surprise me that a group of people who make a great deal of money off of the production and transportation of petroleum products would not like a competing energy product...if it was a good idea or not. I know it's a statement of the blindly obvious, but it seems like it hasn't been touched.

The enemy of your enemy is not always your friend.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Welcome to being a normal rational adult human being. Congratulations.

It is only a delusional crank that believes that people are either 100% agreeing or disagreeing with them. Pretty much everyone can find a point of agreement with even the most detestably hideous human being, and even the longest best friends don't agree on every point. The world is much too complex for that.

I agree as well, I don't like ethanol either. However, it doesn't surprise me that a group of people who make a great deal of money off of the production and transportation of petroleum products would not like a competing energy product...if it was a good idea or not. I know it's a statement of the blindly obvious, but it seems like it hasn't been touched.

The enemy of your enemy is not always your friend.
What if you respond to yourself?

I was just kinda thinking that some things are just so idiotic that no sane person would ever think of doing them.

Then the federal government steps in.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:30 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Blanket rules are usually wrong.

For instance, it makes sense for cities to subsidize mass transportation. It increases commerce, reduces congestion caused by cars, reduces air pollution and energy use..

Only in rare occasions. Most of the time they are a politician's boondoggle. Atlanta, for example, has spent billions and they have some of the worst traffic in the country. I doubt that they have reduced any pollution or energy usage and they certainly have not reduced congestion.

So it only makes sense if you want mass transit for areas that are too spread out to make it effective.

And you can make that same argument for dozens of other subsidies like football stadiums, Milk, solar energy, etc.

I still say government should not subsidize anything.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:08 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm a Democrat and I agree with the Koch brothers that we should end corn ethanol subsidies. I never thought I would agree with the Koch brothers, but hey I like to give credit where credit is due.
me too! I have plenty of relatives named "Koch" *pronounced "coke" not 'Kosh".

It's a wonder, I never thought I would agree with them, either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies