Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 02:35 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkhk3746 View Post
The question is incorrect and misleading. As a public school teacher, I do not "force" my students to say "The Pledge of Allegiance". I have, over the years, had several children of Jehovah's Witness believers and they are not allowed to say "The Pledge of Allegiance". At the beginning of the school year, I send a note home to all parents outlining what my classroom daily schedule will include. IF they have "issues" with any segment of the day, they are encouraged to schedule a P/T conference so that we may discuss it. My JW students are NEVER made to feel "inadequate" b/c they are not allowed to say "The Pledge". I usually assign them special duties during that time so that they are out of the room. ie: Lunch money runner....attendance chart....office helper...etc. I DO teach "Patriotism" in my classroom...and that includes The Pledge and singing, 'God Bless the USA'...but I don't make those who are not allowed to participate feel bad.
Yes, but as a teacher (depending on the state you live in), you may be fined for failing to recite the pledge of allegiance with your class. Is coerced speech the same as free speech? Can they coexist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 02:58 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
No, we shouldn't force anyone to recite a loyalty pledge.

Patriotism and nationalism are two separate things. I know that confuses some people.

Patriots have no need of loyalty oaths.

Nationalists do because they demand conformity, and loyalty to the state trumps all other loyalties. Nationalism is not a good thing. It's anti-freedom.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:59 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
You forgot to mention the problems with statism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No, we shouldn't force anyone to recite a loyalty pledge.

Patriotism and nationalism are two separate things. I know that confuses some people.

Patriots have no need of loyalty oaths.

Nationalists do because they demand conformity, and loyalty to the state trumps all other loyalties. Nationalism is not a good thing. It's anti-freedom.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:01 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I like the original in bold above, not so sure about the one language part and how that works with the First Amendment...but it's at least better than a "pledge of allegiance" which is just way too Orwellian for my tastes.
I was thinking the same thing about the one language
part. We have to remember back then, didn't matter
where you came from - you were expected to
speak/learn English. It was a given.

It was Teddy Roosevelt in 1907 who said "We have room for but one language in this country, and that is the English language"

Old 06-16-2011, 12:18 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Default Be careful what you advocate for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
There is no problem with being prideful. There is, however, a problem with blind faith in a government. The best way to instill American children with pride in their country is to teach them about its origins, history, and protections of individual liberties; not to have them mindlessly recite an oath of allegiance. They should learn what it means to be a free-thinking individual and how the protections on freedoms of thought and expression thorough the limitations on government in the US Constitution protect that freedom.

I disagree. I think an appreciation of the struggle of Americans during the American Revolution would lead one to reject the idea that children should be indoctrinated to believe that their government is all powerful. In fact, I'll argue that questioning/challenging the authority of government is a very American thing to do.
Someone is trying to take my liberties away from me. The power of the people who vote in the men and women are now saying, that to show patriotism in any way shape or form, is wrong. That the mere reciting of our allegiance for our country is some how an attempt to brainwash me into believing (in) my country may stand for something good and that is wrong.

People do what they believe in, when they stop believing, they stop doing. That is what is being taught our children today by eliminating the reciting along with the explanation of, why it is we do this.

What you call indoctrination, I call it believing in something so great a person is willing to make their stand (of their own free will) and if necessary die for it.

Yes I challenge the authority of the government, by way of the American people who have the power to vote. I question the right authority when I question the right they perceive to have that they step on my liberties to teach or have my children taught, right from wrong.

Not only do we have a failure to appreciate, we have a failure to vote into office, those who would reign in the all powerful representatives of us.

Want limited government? Then stop voting into office those who will grow the government. See---the government is not the problem, the people who vote are. In this country the people are the government. It says so, right there in the United States Constitution. If we don't like the Supreme Courts decisions based on that document, I suggest we redress them. To do other wise states we agree with them.

When we stop teaching the American Revolution (to reject the british king) and what that was all about, that does not create a free thinker, what that creates, is a King. With each step we take towards relinquishing the rights of (Old Glory) those to stand, we move one step closer to being the generation that talks to their grand kids, on, "what is was like to be free once".

When we collectively stop believing, we will collectively stop doing. We don't live in the era of Hitler. When will stop acting as if we do?

Old 06-16-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
The Pledge is your O N L Y way to show you appreciate the US?

Kinda short on imagination, aren't ya?
I noticed you put into quotes most of what you had to say. What, you want me to go the extra mile, copy and past it all, so as to keep up? huh...funny move....

I'm not the one short on imagination. However, there are others that are a wee bit short on love.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
Ownership of what? Children don't vote, and don't pay taxes. Letters from children will likely have little influence on government officials. What about the government of the United States on any level is owned by children?
Who grow up to be voters.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:06 AM

1,081 posts, read 916,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Indoctrination!!!

If a teacher encouraged their children to take a voluntary sex ed class, conservatives would blow a fuse.
Wow. Thats a good point...yawn

Old 06-16-2011, 01:48 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Someone is trying to take my liberties away from me. The power of the people who vote in the men and women are now saying, that to show patriotism in any way shape or form, is wrong. That the mere reciting of our allegiance for our country is some how an attempt to brainwash me into believing (in) my country may stand for something good and that is wrong.

Nobody is doing or saying any such thing. You can say a pledge all day, every day, for all anyone cares. Suddenly not having everyone who is a captive audience do what you want is taking a liberty away from YOU? Please...

Old 06-16-2011, 01:50 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Yes, I think all schools should make the Pledge of Allegiance mandatory each & every morning before class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies