Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 10:38 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, they are the ones challenging authority with their version of right or wrong and their free thinking that they can do whatever they want.

Challenging a teacher during a discussion on academic content is one thing but challenging a teacher when she asks for class attention and quiet so she can teach a lesson is another. And these kids do not differentiate..they challenge everything and more time is spent on classroom and behavior management than on academics.

I've been in middle schools this past year..I have seen it first hand.
So you concur that forcing children to recite the Pledge of Allegiance has no impact on the rest of their behavior, and if it does have an impact on troublemakers, it's probably the wrong kind of impact, inspiring rebellion rather than conformity? Good, we're on the same page, then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 10:45 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
I got through the third page of this thread and am disgusted at the amount of anti-American's there are living right here in THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! You people against the pledge should be ashamed of yourselves. You live here, in this wonderful country and yet refuse to pledge your allegiance to it. Don't like it? Get out! Go live in Mexico and pledge your allegiance to their flag, America doesn't need you.
Probably, it is the people who are unable to actually understand the arguments that should "get out!" This country is suffering a dearth of intelligent, rational, educated people who actually understand that our country was founded AGAINST unthinking loyalty. There's nothing anti-American about noting that loyalty oaths, compelled loyalty, is meaningless. The only loyalty that is worth anything is loyalty that is offered up freely, because people trust and respect their government. It's ironic that the people who think compelling loyalty oaths is a good thing are often the same people who go on and on about how much they distrust our government, how our elected leaders are no good, how our system no longer works. Hint: "and to the republic for which it stands" means our system of government. A republic is a system of government. And it's because we DO love the United States, for her greatness and for her faults, that we make this argument. You don't like that your fellow Americans don't agree with you? Perhaps you should be the one to go live elsewhere.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:48 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,155 times
If they want to, they should be able to. But under no circumstance should we FORCE children or ANYONE to say the pledge.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:55 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,636 times
Quote:
"The[SIZE=5]teacher[/SIZE] in that class began to yell at her, began to shout at her," said Ajmel Quereshi, the ACLU attorney representing the girl. "Other students began to jump in and mock her when they saw that he was calling her names and calling her stupid. She was feeling embarassed so
the teacher needs to be suspended without pay and warned he will be fired if he ever does that to a student again. If this child were mine I would fight to have that done to this teacher.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:21 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
the teacher needs to be suspended without pay and warned he will be fired if he ever does that to a student again. If this child were mine I would fight to have that done to this teacher.
Begin with the unconstitutional state law that gave the teacher the authority to force the Pledge on their students. Otherwise, this will not be an isolated incident.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:46 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
I think the Pledge of Allegiance should be required right after marching practice but before bowing down to a portrait of the current sitting president.

Children who disobey should be paddled and their parents arrested for suspicion of engaging in un-American activities.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:57 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Quote:
If you CHOOSE to live here for whatever reason, you should at least support it.
Support what? Saying something everyday in school becauae someone else decided we should say it? Nope, sorry. Living here doesn't mean checking your brain at the door. Questioning authority and why things are the way they are is everyones job. Often we find there is good reason for something, even if we don't see it or understand it. Other times we see that something is quite silly. And many of us didn't CHOOSE to live here, we just do.

I never said it was a horrible thing, I said it shouldn't be forced and isn't even being said by many people now and that I don't care. I also said it should be taught in school so people know what it's about. I think I'm being pretty level headed here.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:01 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
People act like the "Pledge of Alliegence" has been around for a long time, it hasn't. We fought a Civil War without one. The Oaths so many took to defend the Constitution went out the window as Politicians and Military Officers turned traitor and took up arms against the United States

Old 06-18-2011, 01:06 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,964 times
Quote:
I'd rather smoke "it".

Old 06-18-2011, 03:05 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
Quote:
How does reciting a poem "support it"?

They could encourage their parents to pay their taxes and support it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies