Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:43 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,589,981 times

Advertisements

Nice area, but the people are rude as hell....

thanks for the compliment. I love NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 09:55 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,589,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
My mother-in-law got fired from her job after being with the company for 18 years. She found a new job at AT&T within a week. Oh and she is in her mid-50's, so age didn't matter I guess.
at 8.50 an hour, I would hope not. Citi and ATT left this area...too many college grads wanted higher pay. Call centers love cheap mining towns.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:57 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
at 8.50 an hour, I would hope not. Citi and ATT left this area...too many college grads wanted higher pay. Call centers love cheap mining towns.
She lives in Nashville. Didn't know they mined there. Learn something new daily I guess.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:58 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Nice area, but the people are rude as hell....

thanks for the compliment. I love NY.
BTW, what the population growth rate in NY state? LOL HAHAHA!!!

Old 06-15-2011, 05:27 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,733,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
When a job doesn't even pay enough to live off of, where's the motivation for someone to do it?

Yes, and that's part of the problem. Our safety net is too attractive

If we ended unemployment benefits at 3 months and had no welfare and food stamps, you would see unemployment drop dramatically. People would take those jobs.

We have created a nanny state which has removed some of our motivation to work.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:33 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,336,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Because they never actually HIRE anyone. They are looking for the perfect, yet non-existent candidate with years of experience who will work for minimum wage, any hours, any days. Worked for a company somewhat like that, the motto was the spirit of flexibility. (for the employee to be flexible, not so much for the employer.)

What it does accomplish is justifying the HR departments jobs with all the screening, interviews, etc.

Another option is that the business is a scam. Give us money to buy into this once-in-a-lifetime, get-rich-quick scam.
I know at nursing homes they keep ads in the papers to tell inspectors they are "trying to hire" more staff.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
I just ran across this post I made some time ago. I think it is relevant to the OP's discussion of "structural unemployment".

Housing is a subset of the basic needs for human survival. These are, IIRC, Water, Food, Shelter and Medical Care. Now suppose we develop a technological system where almost all, say 99%, of the physical and 90% of the mental work was done by robots, automated mining and agricultural processing, and a very few employed programmers and managers. How would these necessities be provided if 90+% of the people did not have any work at all? How would wealth be generated and how would it be distributed? How would the machines be paid for when they are all manufactured by other robots?

Our current problem with the unemployable is already the result of a partial implementation of this technological “advancement”. Literally thousands of automobile spot welders have been replaced with groups of yellow robot spot welders. What has happened to the former workers? They have been joined by thousands of painters as well. This employment changes is not limited to the automotive industry but has, in kind anyway, happened in the aero tech and agricultural industries. What are all the meat processing workers going to do when the chicken processing industry builds a set of robots to replace the illegal immigrants on the disassembly lines?

I have been watching shows like "How it’s Made" and noted that most products made in other countries are not made in sweatshops but in highly automated state of the art factories using more robots then people.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:52 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,488,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, and that's part of the problem. Our safety net is too attractive

If we ended unemployment benefits at 3 months and had no welfare and food stamps, you would see unemployment drop dramatically. People would take those jobs.

We have created a nanny state which has removed some of our motivation to work.
Actually, given that there's neither enough jobs period, nor do most of the jobs pay enough to get by on in this money system, you'd just have a lot more people on the streets and/or starving.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:40 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Not at my job. We're not even allowed to have phones on the floor.
Oh, we're not suppposed to even have our phones on us while on the clock, yet people still manage to stand around on their iphones. No not everyone does it but just about.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:14 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
Why didn't he get a job at McDonalds or Home Depot? Plenty of jobs out there.
If it were that simple. Places like McDonalds and Home Depot don't usually hire people with advanced education and specialized degrees (like engineering). They're often told they're "too educated"-such companies believe these people will demand a large salary or have no company loyalty (LOL and who does these days?),
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies