Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:52 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
The article I linked got me thinking, the sponsor of the bill (in submitting it) wanted to legalize it at the State level but one of those that voted against it (cited in the article) stated that he believes it needs to be legalized at the federal level before being legalized in the State.
While I agree that Federal re-legalization would solve many problems, the representative that used this excuse is wrong, not that anyone in America reads or knows history.

During Alcohol prohibition it was the states, not the Feds, who simply refused to enforce the prohibition of alcohol, saying it was impossible to enforce. New York State was one of the first. Do the research, it's an interesting story. As the number of states not enforcing the law increased, the Feds eventually repealed the Constitutional Amendment that prohibited alcohol use and sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 02:06 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,738,149 times
Yes. the illegalization of marajuana is about as effective as prohibition was, and many time more costly. No plant that grows naturally should be illegal to use. Criminal trespass against others should be prosecuted, not smoking a plant.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:27 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
Should Cannabis be legalized in the US?

Well, yeah.... Duh....... I don't understand how the federal government ever thought it was their business to ban it anyway.....
They thought it would stem the rising tide of hippies and anti-war protestors in the '60s.

I believe it was made totally illegal in 1970, but don't quote me on that.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:30 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Cannabis should be legalized, not only in the US, but everywhere!

Old 06-15-2011, 02:49 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post

No arguement there either. In some countries like Singapore it's a potential death sentence just for possession! That is absolute horse s***!

Old 06-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Marijuana for medical reasons should be legalized, but not for personal usage.
A very weird position coming from a Ron Paul supporter. I find it odd that you think a smaller, less intrusive government should have the power to regulate what a person puts into their own body.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:51 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Should cannabis be legalized and if so, should it be at the State or Federal level? I read that it was recently brought up for a vote in the Maine House (it did NOT pass). I realize legalization has been discussed in the past,
I am curious as to thoughts on whether it's a "State's Rights" issue or a Federal issue.
Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More
Yes, but in the very least it should be decriminalized.

It should at least be left up to the states individually. A federal mandate is unconstitutional. Its like the federal government outlawing growing grass (literal lawn grass).

It grows everywhere naturally.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:53 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
http://thankyoubasedgod.com/forum/images/smilies/celebrate.gif (broken link)

Old 06-15-2011, 03:55 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,815 times
Not until we can be sure of a system of supply like alcohol to take it out of the hands of the cartels. If that was done, heck yes.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:59 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
Not until we can be sure of a system of supply like alcohol to take it out of the hands of the cartels. If that was done, heck yes.
Prohibit the sell of it to package stores, and make there be a federal stamp on every bundle.

Thats exactly what we did with alcohol after prohibition. The federal government has to ok you to make it, you have to keep track of every drop, and it has to be sold in stores listed as "package stores". Now that definition has expanded a bit, could be a gas station now in some states.

But the number of kids that regularly buy cigarettes is very low. Drinking alcohol regularly for children under 18 is even less, usually because an adult buys it for them.

Cannabis with the same regulations as alcohol has today would be very hard for teens to obtain. And honestly, remember that the cartels and drug dealers don't id. Any improvement in containing it by legalizing it would only make it harder to obtain for teens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies