Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 05:41 PM

35 posts, read 69,268 times

Advertisements

I thought marriage was one way to legally grant land and possessions to an heir?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 10:38 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I personally consider marriage and civil unions very different things. Marriage is sacred, and is only valid in the eyes of my Christian faith. Civil unions - I couldn't care less who engages in them.

To summarize: marriage is sacred, civil unions are not. Please don't confuse the two.
So everybody else should adhere to your beliefs? Interestingly unAmerican.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:52 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I love my best friend and pretty loyal and committed, like he was my brother, but I have no thoughts of packing his fudge.

There is a mental issue happening where it is all about getting off and nothing else.

omg

Old 06-15-2011, 10:59 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
god doesn't exist..
jesus was gay
and I wipe my bum with pages of the bible

and now I'd like a gay marriage please? jesus was gay.. so.. lets make it happen people :P

Old 06-16-2011, 05:42 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
So everybody else should adhere to your beliefs? Interestingly unAmerican.
What? How did you get that?

Anyone can have a civil union. According to the government, legally recognized 'marriage' (which is a civil union), I couldn't care less who gets married.

According to my faith (the Christian church), I only want Christians to be married in accordance with my faith. How is that pushing my beliefs on anyone? I am not calling for anyone's rights to be denied in any way.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:49 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Marriage is a ceremony between a man and a woman, to further the species we call homosapien/human beings.

What the freaks of nature want, is a legal contract that they can use to fraud society, into thinking they are capable of procreation and all the benefits that marriage gives to a functioning society.
What benefits in particular ?

Old 06-16-2011, 06:33 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Half end in divorce. Who knows how many more are unhappy. Done for money, insurance, citizenship.

What exactly is so special about marriage that homosexuals getting a chance at it will tarnish?

And please, if your argument is that suddenly people will start marrying animals, explain that one. Explain how that marriage could possibly occur even if everyone wanted it to.

...........Sorry, I thought you meant "scared"! I get pretty scared when I pi*s off my wife.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:41 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Well, then we're in agreement. I don't care what it's called as long as it's accessible to everybody and it's called the same thing for everybody.
Well, in order to pacify many on the other side of the argument, it needs to be differentiated somehow is the only thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33
Many gay couples have kids.
I understand that, but I wonder whether within the 1400 rights there are things about carrying an unborn child. Delivery room type stuff, etc...

Again, I don't know.... Haven't seen a list of all 1400 things...

Old 06-16-2011, 06:54 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Exactly. All of you bringing religion into this need to stop. It means nothing to the topic at hand, and is completely irrelevant. It matters not what your religion teaches on the subject, this is a matter of law and rights, none of which are granted by religion. You are free to believe your marriage is sacred, have at it. But who are you to deny the rights of others?
Well, this is part of the problem... Religion has a LOT to do with it to some that argue against gay marriage... You don't have to agree with them, but it would help to make an effort to respect and understand WHY they hold the opinon they do...

That said? Heck, if this was a Sarah Palin thread half of the content would have been deleted by mods already.... The God vs. No-God discussion needs to go...

Old 06-16-2011, 07:09 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
There is no law in the origins of the universe, just thousands if not millions of theories, some more credible than others. I could present all of them to you and you'd say no and claim your theory wins by default, because some how it's exempt from the same rigors of proof that every other explanation is burdened with.

If you've proven god exist by all means, share your findings with the world.
You really need to take a hard look at causality. Your amateur arguments were dealt with about 1000 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies