Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:47 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
That could then be unconstitutional.

Many religions allow for multiple husbands/wives. To recognize one religious marriage but not another could be construed as making a law respecting an establishment of religion.
Look, I don't know what the little man behind the curtain does, but when you get married in a church, they send documents off to the state and certify the marriage.

Nothing unconstitutional about it. Nothing in the structure of, say, a Christian marriage runs afoul of laws regarding Civil Unions. Bigomy DOES run afoul of laws regarding Civil Unions, so there's a problem...

I think they got that one covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 08:53 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Why? Churches do good for society.
Some do, some don't, some cause significant harm.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:53 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Those societies were certainly right about things like the shape of the earth and their stance on keeping other humans as slaves. Clearly, they are infallible.

Teaching lies as truth =/= good for society
Slavery was not universal among cultures like marriage between men and women. Also there are facts and there are myths the Earth being round can be proven. Gay marriage being argued as some benefit to society is not a fact.

FYI, Aristotle knew the Earth was round thousands of years before Columbus. So the Columbus tale of him proving the Earth was round by his voyage is in fact a tale.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:54 AM

419 posts, read 365,300 times
I personally don't consider marriage important. Its just a title to me and people make a big deal out of it for no reason. The only reason I can see for marriage is just for the financial reasons.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:02 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Thing is that there is no "fail" in the slippery slope argument here.

IF we are to take the legal argument for gay marriage at face value, there is no way marriage could survive a legal challenge from one wanting to marry a close relative (as an example)...

Take emotion out of it and simply look at the legal aspect. There IS a slippery slope.

The question becomes, if marriage between members of the same sex is correct, why is marriage between members of the opposite sex also correct?

What is the objective standard which applies to both cases such that marriage between two, and only two, persons of either sex is correct but no other variations are allowed?

Old 06-15-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Those societies were certainly right about things like the shape of the earth and their stance on keeping other humans as slaves. Clearly, they are infallible.

Teaching lies as truth =/= good for society

What is infallible about our society?

Old 06-15-2011, 09:09 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Slavery was not universal among cultures like marriage between men and women. Also there are facts and there are myths the Earth being round can be proven. Gay marriage being argued as some benefit to society is not a fact.

FYI, Aristotle knew the Earth was round thousands of years before Columbus. So the Columbus tale of him proving the Earth was round by his voyage is in fact a tale.
Yes. It was known in Aristotle's time that the earth was round. A Greek mathematician, Eratosthenes, calculated the earth's circumference in about 250 BC by using shadows of an obelisk at Alexandria and a well at Seyene.

The societies that most directly lead to ours most certainly believed that the earth was flat and that slavery was okey-dokey, also that the earth was the center of the universe.

We can certainly do better than they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
What is infallible about our society?
Obviously, nothing. Our society is mostly full of ****.

Proof.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:22 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The question becomes, if marriage between members of the same sex is correct, why is marriage between members of the opposite sex also correct?

What is the objective standard which applies to both cases such that marriage between two, and only two, persons of either sex is correct but no other variations are allowed?
And that's where, legally, one starts to slide down that slippery slope...

What is the defining factor that allows gays to become the exception to marriage law as it currently stands?

And is that factor unique to homosexuals as opposed to incestual type relations (again, as an example).

Old 06-15-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I thought that is all homosexuals were asking for: civil unions. Marriage is a religious ceremony/joining together performed by a religious organization who, based on their beliefs, has the right to not perform a marriage.

For me, my marriage in a church did not afford me any governmental rights. I had to back it up with a license at the courthouse. The state did recognize my religious officiant. If I didn't have one of those, a judge would have done it. But I guess not if I was entering into a same-sex marriage.

Gay civil unions have nothing to do with legal rights and government benefits. The gay police say that's what its about but the reality is gay civil unions will never do for gays what they want most. Gays want respectability. They want the same recognition of their unnatural relationships that heterosexuals obtain for their natural relationships by walking down the aisle. They believe by co-opting the word marriage and the marriage ceremony they can take for themselves the respectability that comes with it.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
And that's where, legally, one starts to slide down that slippery slope...

What is the defining factor that allows gays to become the exception to marriage law as it currently stands?

And is that factor unique to homosexuals as opposed to incestual type relations (again, as an example).
Then we have to find a reason why marriage is limited to just two people. Is there an objective reason two is the correct number but not three?

If so, what is it such that three is wrong but same-sex is correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies