Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 09:59 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,097,029 times

Advertisements

Religion is a bane upon mankind. Churches harm people - just look at Fred Phelps and his Calvinist congregation out in Kansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 10:03 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Actually, access to (equal) legal rights are the only thing allowing gays to contract civil marriages has to do with.

Thank you...

I messed-up when I edited it.

This is what I intended...

Gay marriage has nothing to do with legal rights and government benefits. The gay police say that's what its about, but the reality is gay civil unions which would provide these rights and benefits will never do for gays what they want most. Gays want respectability. They want the same recognition of their unnatural relationships that heterosexuals obtain for their natural relationships by walking down the aisle. They believe by co-opting the word marriage and the marriage ceremony they can take for themselves the respectability that comes with it.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:06 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Churches teach that 2000 year old comic book stories are true.
No, they don't. Can you name one?

If you're actually referring to the notion that they teach that Jesus died and rose again, how is that any less fantastic than the notion that we all evolved from monkeys and came about by a random chance explosion that occurred 14 billion (give or take a few billion) years ago? Nevermind the question of what existed prior to that, or how it came to happen?

Disprove the existence of God then, Mr. Smartypants. You've got no intellectual position to do so. Your best minds in the argument, Dawkins and Hitchens are laughable. I recently read both of their books. I wasn't impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Religion is a bane upon mankind. Churches harm people - just look at Fred Phelps and his Calvinist congregation out in Kansas.
some nut jobs like Freddy boy are bad. But you'll find bad people in every walk of life. The fact that he calls his cult a "church" is irrelevant.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:11 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times
Marriage is an invented institution based on a religious concept of morals.
Religion only puts people in chains, as do many marriages. So marriage should not be sacred.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:15 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,298,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
The Jesus myth is a fine example.

Quote:
Disprove the existence of God then, Mr. Smartypants. You've got no intellectual position to do so.
There is no 'intellectual position' needed to disprove the existence of something for which there is zero evidence.

I've been around this Merry-Go-Round enough times.

Since there is zero evidence that the Bible is true or that any gods exist there is zero reason to base any law upon religion.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:50 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Marriage has traditionally been a secular, legal institution in the West from the distant pagan past well into the Christian period.

As a legal institution, it was overseen and authorized by the local authority which was most often the Church.

The Church then, like they did to all great European ideas, stole it and manipulated it towards its own aims.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,917,364 times
Quote:

If you're actually referring to the notion that they teach that Jesus died and rose again, how is that any less fantastic than the notion that we all evolved from monkeys and came about by a random chance explosion that occurred 14 billion (give or take a few billion) years ago? Nevermind the question of what existed prior to that, or how it came to happen?

Disprove the existence of God then, Mr. Smartypants. You've got no intellectual position to do so. Your best minds in the argument, Dawkins and Hitchens are laughable. I recently read both of their books. I wasn't impressed.

some nut jobs like Freddy boy are bad. But you'll find bad people in every walk of life. The fact that he calls his cult a "church" is irrelevant.

Can you disprove the existence of Darth Vader? How about Chupacabra or the Tooth Fairy?

Can you provide one single piece of hard evidence that God exists? How about a much lower bar, do you have any valid, verifiable evidence that Jesus is anything more than a character from a fairy tale?

Old 06-15-2011, 10:58 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Half end in divorce. Who knows how many more are unhappy. Done for money, insurance, citizenship.

What exactly is so special about marriage that homosexuals getting a chance at it will tarnish?

And please, if your argument is that suddenly people will start marrying animals, explain that one. Explain how that marriage could possibly occur even if everyone wanted it to.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I do consider it sacred. I took the vows very seriously, and my wife and I are going on being married 11 years. We'll be together a total of 15 years. I truly have been blessed to say that I married my soul mate and my best friend! And that's it, if you want your marriage to work, you HAVE to be friends, or it just won't work!

As for homosexuals being allowed to marry, I have no issue with it! If you love someone then it shouldn't matter as long as you're happy.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:05 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,055 times
I do. I don't care that 40-50% of marriages fail, it's most likely because people aren't working hard enough at their marriages. People have the "me, me, me" attitude these days and when they're tired of being married to someone, they'll resort to divorce. Divorce is taken like it's a minor thing, when, really it isn't.

Marriage is supposed to be a special, lifelong union between the man and the woman.

I really don't know what the divorce rate has to do with homosexual marriages. Homosexuals may have high divorce rates too.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:08 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,127,642 times
Quote:
I think for the most part, churches are good. Yes, there are going to be bad guys that mislead people, but if people are stupid enough to do stuff like that they will find someone to tell them to do it.

By and large, I think more good comes from churches than bad.

I meekly agree, if we are talking about your average, run-of-the-mill Western Christian church.

Even fundamentalists can do some good here and there, but I find them scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies