Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 03:10 AM

354 posts, read 855,211 times

Advertisements

I was listening to a lecture about slavery the other day and it really got me thinking. The Lecturer said that up until the 1800s/early 1900s practically every society in human history had slavery. He said that slavery was the ultimate "Labor Saving Device". A lot of people thought that society would become backwards without slavery because there would not be enough time for people to do things like participate in society or better themselves if they had to do all their work themselves. Only the rich that could afford servants would be able to better themselves and everyone else would be left out in the cold.

It got me thinking about how we allow people in other countries to endure horrible working conditions for little pay so we can keep our life style artificially high. They say there are more slaves now then ever and they are cheaper then they ever been before. The only good news is that it is the lowest % of the world population that are enslaved in history.

Do you think gradually we will start seeing socially acceptable slavery again? I think that some kind of Debt-Slavery will eventually become common again. Historically this was one of the more common types of slavery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 03:14 AM

355 posts, read 209,460 times
When bankers **** up and we bailout them out with billions for bonuses, then they say **** you to us, then I consider that slavery.

Slavery is ripe in your face. You just choose not to look at it.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:16 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,261,634 times
If the republicans win the 2012 election, yes.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
If the republicans win the 2012 election, yes.
This is more delusional lw hack. Lefties are not exactly leading us to economic freedom.

Why are you so delusional and a partisan hack?

Old 06-15-2011, 03:23 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Drink Water View Post
When bankers **** up and we bailout them out with billions for bonuses, then they say **** you to us, then I consider that slavery.

Slavery is ripe in your face. You just choose not to look at it.
Let's be honest, these same bankers made us lots of money and increased our individual wealth significantly prior to requiring a bailout.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Let's be honest, these same bankers made us lots of money and increased our individual wealth significantly prior to requiring a bailout.
And Fred Flinstone loves rubber.

Anymore snake oil up your sleeve? Cause savings in this country depreciated rapidly after the housing bubble. Why? Because most of American's were tied up in faulty prices of housing asset. The bubble popped and who was left with the bill while the bankers got rich?

Get lost. I have not time for people like you.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Drink Water View Post
And Fred Flinstone loves rubber.

Anymore snake oil up your sleeve? Cause savings in this country depreciated rapidly after the housing bubble. Why? Because most of American's were tied up in faulty prices of housing asset. The bubble popped and who was left with the bill while the bankers got rich?

Get lost. I have not time for people like you.
Most (as in majority) of Americans were tied up in faulty prices of housing assets? That's BS. A good number were, but it's still the significant minority. Those who were most affected were those with poorly distributed wealth (such as those living in homes more expensive than their 401k).

Fore the remaining people (the majority), 401ks are now significantly larger than they were prior to the market crash due to the recent run up (for those that didn't pull out or go risk adverse). You think you'd have generated such wealth without the bankers?

Old 06-15-2011, 04:05 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
Will you be my slave? If the answer is no, then there's your answer. Conversely, the same statement still works.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:06 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Some Saudi woman leader was suggesting just that. Seems with all the POWs just sitting around the Middle East why not put them to work. Won't be long before some California judge allows the importation of slaves in deference to religious custom.

Union members, especially the teachers, are held hostage to unions that mandate they make $$ offerings to the union elite who use the dues to buy democratic political slaves.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Some Saudi woman leader was suggesting just that. Seems with all the POWs just sitting around the Middle East why not put them to work. Won't be long before some California judge allows the importation of slaves in deference to religious custom.

Union members, especially the teachers, are held hostage to unions that mandate they make $$ offerings to the union elite who use the dues to buy democratic political slaves.
Union members are there by choice. They can find another job if they wish. I feel that a slave is forced to be subservient in one manner or another without a way out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies