Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 11:24 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
So we ought to just shut down the House and Senate? We'd probably save a lot of money that way.
Well, considering how corrupt Congress is, probably not a bad idea.. however

Do you know what the purpose of the Federal appellate court system is?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:25 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
So then you recognize that their job is to legislate and not the judges, right?
Do you know what Common law is?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:26 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
says the guy that thinks we should live by his standards....

No ban is needed, as it's never been allowed.
Then explain the protection of marriage act,
Casper

Old 06-15-2011, 11:26 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
So then you recognize that their job is to legislate and not the judges, right?
Their job is to legislate within the bounds of the Constitution. Right-wing religious theocrats often ignore this, and unconstitutionally try and legislate their religious beliefs upon everybody. Thankfully our system was set up with checks and balances including a judiciary that remedies such injustices.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:27 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,160 times
Interesting how none of the right-wingers in this thread have responded to the OP's interesting point. Instead they've all changed the subject to religion.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Do you know what Common law is?
Do you enjoy the same legal benefits under common law? NOPE
Casper

Old 06-15-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I wasn't the one that brought up the "it's natural" argument.
It is natural, and occurs in many species, so what is your point
Casper

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Well, considering how corrupt Congress is, probably not a bad idea.. however

Do you know what the purpose of the Federal appellate court system is?
To determine constitutionality of law. My argument is that unfortunately they have been known to overstep their authority quite often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
It is natural, and occurs in many species, so what is your point
Casper
My point was that using that fact to suggest something is moral because it's natural is a bad argument.

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Yes. And straight men are disgusted by that.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:30 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Quote:
How can something prevalent in nature be "unnatural"? Do you know what unnatural means?
Who said I believe it is unnatural? You are making a big assumption here. I agree that homosexuality occurs in nature. However, I don't think that believing it to be unnatural makes a person a homophobe.

Quote:
Believing tradition marriage is between a man and woman doesn't make you a homophobe, it merely makes you completely ignorant of the history of "traditional marriage". Marriage is neither a religious institution, nor did it usually include one woman, let alone an equal partnership. Your concept of "Traditional marriage" is actually quite modern.

However, if your views of marriage deem you to vote or push to deny homosexuals the right to marry in a secular society, then you are discriminating against homosexuals, which is included in the definition of homophobia.
It's a difference of opinions and yours is no better (or more correct) than mine. Marriage, IMO, is between a man and a woman to be differentiated from civil unions which grant legal status and benefits to couples. It just so happens in our country that marriage is also considered a civil union but the reverse is not true. I don't get this aspect of the gay agenda at all. Why must you (general) push for it to be called "marriage" if all other things are equal (same benefits and legal status)? Why do you want something that innately pertains to heterosexuals (an exclusive partnering between a man and woman) if you can get the same exact benefits and rights by calling it a civil union?

I still would like to see the medical definition used that qualifies people as having serious psychological disorder for simply believing marriage to be between a man and woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies