Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 05:17 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Just speaking from what i see around here on C-D and the Republican/Conservative politicians i've seen/heard over the years. The coded language aint all that cryptic. At least not to me, and i aint all that bright to be honest with you. So if i can detect it, i know other more intelligent blacks can see it. It's pretty damn palpable.

Do i think YOU'RE a racist? Or even Sophiasmommy? Not really, but i think you guys are a small and distinct minority among the Conservative set.
I've gotten the same feelings at times, although very slightly. As it pertains to CD, you do have to consider the fact that many liberals go out of their way to be PC whereas I for example will just blurt **** out, offensive or not, so at least you know where I stand. To be honest with you, every conservative I know personally will give you a fair shake. The white liberal Obama voters will pat themselves on the back for being colorblind, but they'll only hang out with other rich white people. Just my experience.

There's racism on both sides. I really don't see it being worse on either. It just manifests itself in different ways. When I see how white liberals act towards blacks, it seems more like they're trying to prove to themselves how altruistic they are, by helping those who they really do consider inferior to some extent.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:34 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
It is wishful thinking to believe that blacks vote for the Democratic Party simply for the handouts, etc. If that were the case, then the Republican Party would have a larger following within the upper echelons of the black community. That however, is not the case; and ironically enough, the consensus amongst blacks in working class and upper-middle class communities seems almost identical. Coincidence? Sure, they are all playing the race card, right?
Yup it's called group identity.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:43 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
And here comes the "immigrants can do it so why not black people?" argument. Newsflash: Immigrants were not affected by Jim Crow. Immigrants are not refused cultural assimilation no matter how much they try to do so. Not all immigrants come here broke-city and a lot of the ones that do have family that's been here for a while and can help them out. Immigrants are not discriminated against in housing, employment or loans ANYWHERE NEAR to the extent that African Americans are.

There are a multitude of reasons for why the immigrant argument is not intelligent but people will continue to use it anyway.
Oh well my parents are African and we lived in mixed neighborhoods with Black Americans being the dominate group. They weren't rich, my dad said his first night here in '74 he slept on the streets. He was the first in our family here. Nobody gave them any loans (another urban black myth, supposedly immigrants have access to loans US citizen blacks don't).

Also my mom tells me when my dad drove her to Fairfax, VA in the 70s for work they were routinely questioned by police in what were blatant attempts of racial harassment.

Keep trotting out excuses another wave of immigrants is pouring in and they too will surpass Black Americans. In fact it's already taking place.

Black Power Wanes Amid Rising Hispanic Economic Clout in U.S. - Bloomberg
Quote:
In the city that drew waves of blacks during the Great Migration of the early 20th century, their descendants barely remain the largest racial or ethnic group, at 32.4 percent. Blacks earn less and are more likely to live in poverty than Hispanics, who make up almost 30 percent of Chicago, a city of 2.7 million that lost 6.9 percent of its population since 2000.

The reversal of fortunes for the two groups is echoed nationwide, where blacks have fallen to 12.6 percent of the total U.S. population of 308.7 million, and Hispanics have risen to 16.3 percent. Hispanics are also outpacing blacks economically: Their median household income rose 21.6 percent in the decade to $40,946, compared with $34,445 for blacks.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:07 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
A good friend of mine is african American and is doing quite well. he is white,find another name for youselves.like Americans thats what my friend calls himself and he is a real African American. how many blacks in this country can trace thier ancestry to slavery with all our immigration from black countries? many cannot but eat the bait. he is from Africa and has a problem with this,yes he was born there

Old 06-17-2011, 06:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I've gotten the same feelings at times, although very slightly. As it pertains to CD, you do have to consider the fact that many liberals go out of their way to be PC whereas I for example will just blurt **** out, offensive or not, so at least you know where I stand. To be honest with you, every conservative I know personally will give you a fair shake. The white liberal Obama voters will pat themselves on the back for being colorblind, but they'll only hang out with other rich white people. Just my experience.

There's racism on both sides. I really don't see it being worse on either. It just manifests itself in different ways. When I see how white liberals act towards blacks, it seems more like they're trying to prove to themselves how altruistic they are, by helping those who they really do consider inferior to some extent.
I call them phoney liberals. They talk the talk but their actions say a whole different story. They go home to their gated suburban homes and their kids go to private school.

Funny though. I grew up in NYC..the ultimate melting pot. Sure there were pockets of segregation (Harlem, Little Italy, etc) but most of the middle class areas had a diverse set of families. I do feel lucky in that I grew up in a neighborhood (and in NYC that meant just a few blocks) where color was not an issue. You got yelled at by all the Mom's if they saw you doing something you weren't supposed to. And within minutes your own Mom found out via "phone call".

Old 06-17-2011, 06:45 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I call them phoney liberals. They talk the talk but their actions say a whole different story. They go home to their gated suburban homes and their kids go to private school.
Pretty much. I don't see these people living in the diverse utopias they're always preaching about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Funny though. I grew up in NYC..the ultimate melting pot. Sure there were pockets of segregation (Harlem, Little Italy, etc) but most of the middle class areas had a diverse set of families. I do feel lucky in that I grew up in a neighborhood (and in NYC that meant just a few blocks) where color was not an issue. You got yelled at by all the Mom's if they saw you doing something you weren't supposed to. And within minutes your own Mom found out via "phone call".
A real "community" huh. Don't see many of those these days.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Pretty much. I don't see these people living in the diverse utopias they're always preaching about.

A real "community" huh. Don't see many of those these days.
Those days are sadly gone for the most part. Folks don't want to get involved these days.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:33 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
[quote=momonkey;19607182]
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
In your opinions, how much of a role to you think American slavery plays (or has played) in the condition of poor or underachieving African-Americans today?

In others words, how much of the negative conditions/issues that Blacks face can be attributed to individual personal decisions, and how much can be atributted to the lingering affects of slavery, Jim Crow, welfare, etc.

For example, many believe that most blacks lack collective unity (like Jews, for example), but many scholars attribute this lack of unity to generations of mental conditioning brought about by slavery. When many Black Americans did unify to improve their condition in the 1960's, the fire was immediately extinguished with the assassination, murder, and arrest of nearly every galvanizing civil rights leader... then poor communities were flooded with drugs... then it was the war on drugs... and now corporate owned black radio stations are penalized if they do not play songs by rappers who glorify either sex, drugs, or money (or all three)...

What do you think Black Americans can realistically do to improve their family structure and overall economic/social condition?

They could stop blaming white people for their own poor decisions and irresponsible behavior.

Just a thought...
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
This statement serves no constructive purpose at all.

When in the original post did I say anything about blaming white people? How many black people do you know that sit around blaming white people for their problems? I think you have bought into a negative stereotype.

In fact, the question was "What do you think Black Americans can realistically do to improve their family structure and overall economic/social condition?" not "What do you think white people can realistically do to improve black people's family structure and overall economic/social condition?"

If you were black, what would you do? Make ineffectively meaningless snarky comments, put you fingers in your ears, close your eyes, and claim, "That's your problem (fellow man) don't look at me!"

In fact, the question was "What do you think Black Americans can realistically do to improve their family structure and overall economic/social condition?" not "What do you think white people can realistically do to improve black people's family structure and overall economic/social condition?"

I saw that question.

1) "What do you think Black Americans can realistically do to improve their family structure and overall economic/social condition??

I saw these other questions as well...

2) "In your opinions, how much of a role to you think American slavery plays (or has played) in the condition of poor or underachieving African-Americans today?"

3) "In others words, how much of the negative conditions/issues that Blacks face can be attributed to individual personal decisions, and how much can be atributted to the lingering affects of slavery, Jim Crow, welfare, etc."

My answer was a direct answer to the first question.

"When in the original post did I say anything about blaming white people?"

In questions two and three.

Is there another race which might be blamed for "slavery" and "Jim Crow" laws?

"How many black people do you know that sit around blaming white people for their problems?"

Apparently enough to make it the subject of your thread.

"In others words, how much of the negative conditions/issues that Blacks face can be attributed to individual personal decisions, and how much can be atributted to the lingering affects of slavery, Jim Crow, welfare, etc."

Old 06-17-2011, 08:45 PM

674 posts, read 698,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
A good friend of mine is african American and is doing quite well. he is white,find another name for youselves.like Americans thats what my friend calls himself and he is a real African American. how many blacks in this country can trace thier ancestry to slavery with all our immigration from black countries? many cannot but eat the bait. he is from Africa and has a problem with this,yes he was born there
Dear your white friend is not African American no matter what he calls himself.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:06 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Oh well my parents are African and we lived in mixed neighborhoods with Black Americans being the dominate group. They weren't rich, my dad said his first night here in '74 he slept on the streets. He was the first in our family here. Nobody gave them any loans (another urban black myth, supposedly immigrants have access to loans US citizen blacks don't).

Also my mom tells me when my dad drove her to Fairfax, VA in the 70s for work they were routinely questioned by police in what were blatant attempts of racial harassment.

Keep trotting out excuses another wave of immigrants is pouring in and they too will surpass Black Americans. In fact it's already taking place.

Black Power Wanes Amid Rising Hispanic Economic Clout in U.S. - Bloomberg

My dad is also an African immigrant and also experienced racism. The difference between the way he experiences racism vs. my African American mother? She was conditioned to believe that she was subservient to whites whereas he had no racial hierarchy in his mind. Does he laugh at African Americans because his experience is fundamentally different in a way that puts him at an advantage? Nope. You know why? Because HE can appreciate how lucky he is to not have been socially trained to associate his race with inferiority, which is something that obviously you or your parents cannot. I can only shake my head at Africans who hold a grudge against a group people that they have a psychological leg up over because they buy into the "blacks are bad, whites are good" bull**** that American culture spoon-feeds to them... it's sad to me that the majority of the cultural exchange from America to Africa is our cinema, because it's among the most racist of all of our media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies