Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:39 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
So basically you're trying to use Oprah Winfrey to argue that slavery was a good thing. How pathetically stupid.
No. I am arguing that slavery ALLOWED blacks to escape a life where they had no future and brought them here to start over. Indentured servants were helped also.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:39 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
It has gone up, but so have many other things. Bad things. I'm not saying blacks have not made any progress, they seem to have split off. Some are very successful, some are even worse off in ways (at least as it pertains to cultural issues).
You are really trying to pigdeonhole blacks into a something that has happened to society as a whole... including the out of wedlock births.

There are very successful blacks and poor blacks, very successful whites and poor whites. This is obvious and doesn't even warrant discussion. My point is since institutionalized racism has decline and virtually eliminated, the poverty rate of blacks has decreased substantially.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:40 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Not every Jew has access to the banking system. As far as an apology goes, not gona happen now. A ton of money has been poured into the black community, affirmative action, minority loans and grants, etc etc. I'm not saying everything is perfect now, but this is the way the world works. Humans have been killing and enslaving each other for thousands of years, without even the though of an apology.
Well, every year leading German politicians commemorate the Holocaust, apologize, etc. There are countless monuments for the murdered Jews.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:40 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Did you actually read this?

24% to 64% is 2.66x for blacks
3.1% to 18% is 5.8x for whites

I originally said the rate of change for blacks was probably about the same. I was wrong, it's much worse for whites. Which means that your interpretation of the issue is wrong. Compared to white, it's blacks have seen less of an effect of this phenomenon.
I did read it, and I was actually wrong about the rate of change which I was just about to post. There is still a major problem at 64% (and that was in 2000, it's higher now I believe).

They may not have been as affected when it comes to the ratio between the percentage increases, but you can also look at it like this - the rate among white people increased by 14.9% of their population, the rate among black people increased by 40% of their population. The ratio between the changes doesn't really matter as much.

White people have gotten more culturally ****ed up too, no denying that.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, every year leading German politicians commemorate the Holocaust, apologize, etc. There are countless monuments for the murdered Jews.
I'm sure there's been an official apology for slavery. Even if there wasn't, I think the massive investment in the black community serves one as well. The germans never did affirmative action and things like that.

How's this for an apology - how many white men died freeing the slaves?

Old 06-15-2011, 12:43 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
I guess there is a similarity between AA's and Africans, both had their self-esteem thoroughly destroyed. Some try to get it back by force or otherwise excessive behavior, but that doesn't really work.
African immigrants, who indeed tend to do very well, are usually from the elite of their countries of origin anyway.

2,963 posts, read 6,262,793 times
Quote:
I did read it, and I was actually wrong about the rate of change which I was just about to post. There is still a major problem at 64% (and that was in 2000, it's higher now I believe).

They may not have been as affected when it comes to the ratio between the percentage increases, but you can also look at it like this - the rate among white people increased by 14.9% of their population, the rate among black people increased by 40% of their population. The ratio between the changes doesn't really matter as much.

White people have gotten more culturally ****ed up too, no denying that.
Yes, it's bad, no denying this. No one in the black community is happy about 64%+ of babies being born out of wedlock. My only point was this is not a "black" problem, this is an "American" problem. When we fix america culturally the black percentage of out of wedlock births will go down with whites and every other race.

2,437 posts, read 3,850,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
(some) Blacks are the biggest mental conditioners of themselves. If you reinforce the "slave mentality", that's what you'll have.

Nobody is alive today that lived through slavery, yet the self defeating, victim mentality, entitlement mentality, worshiping at the alter of consumption (gangs, drugs, sex, bling), undervaluing education, broken family unit, exists.

It has very little to do with slavery. And everything to do with misplaced value systems.
But remember, you said yourself that it was a reinforcement the "slave mentality". Where did it start? Slavery.

What do you think Black Americans should do to fix their misplaced value systems? If you were Black and in a Black community, what would you do about it?

Old 06-15-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
You are really trying to pigdeonhole blacks into a something that has happened to society as a whole... including the out of wedlock births.

There are very successful blacks and poor blacks, very successful whites and poor whites. This is obvious and doesn't even warrant discussion. My point is since institutionalized racism has decline and virtually eliminated, the poverty rate of blacks has decreased substantially.
That's not what I'm trying to do. I'm also not arguing with your point.

What I'm saying is that there are still major problems that need to be fixed, and I don't think these problems are solely created by racist white people, nor are they 100% caused by slavery. That's all I'm saying.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:44 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
So? The point is that if it doesn't apply to Africans, then it can't be an issue of racism. A racist is going to hate black people, he won't care where they were born or how much money they have.
Speaking as someone who is half-African and half-African American, it's all about where your identity was formed. If you're raised in America, you will have a very different view of race (including your own) than someone who was raised in a homogeneous country. In homogeneous countries, the concept of race is basically unimportant... social class is the main way that people are discriminated against. In America, race, social class, religion, etc. are all fair game because there's while there's a wide diversity here, the base population of America is still Caucasian Christians, and the base still holds the vast majority of political and economic clout. The cultural identity of African immigrants was not formed by non-Africans... For a long time, the only cultural media to come out of America was by and for white people, and black people were public enemy No. 1. Contrary to what some people believe, whites have had a HUGE impact on black culture and how it sees itself post-slavery.

When my father immigrated from Nigeria to America, he had no anti-black baggage in the back of his mind because he was in a 99% African environment ran by Africans... he's experienced a TON of racism here but because he was not raised here that does not define who he is as an African. When you are exposed to that kind of culture from Day 1, you really don't have a chance... that becomes a big part of who you are.

One of the biggest cultural exports of whites to blacks for a long time was that blacks are always subservient to whites... "uppity ******s" were - and still are - an endangered species. Those who doubt the influence that whites have had on black America - and particularly poor black America - have no concept of what it means to have other people tell you what your culture is worth all the time. All the thousands of threads here about "why do black people _______?" are a not-so-subtle manifestation of whites trying to put a value on black culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies